Jump to navigation Jump to search
Plettenberg Bay (or Plett) is a small coastal resort in South Africa's Western Cape. It's a good stop off point for the Garden Route if you're looking to be closer to the beach than nearby Knysna.
Plett is on the N2, 240 km from Port Elizabeth, 520 km from Cape Town and 35 km from Knysna.
All major national coaches stop at the Shell garage on the N2 (1 km from the town centre).
The Baz bus comes into the town centre.
- you can get a Minivan from Knysna.
- 1 Robberg Nature and Marine Reserve. A 4-km long peninsula south east of Plett. It acts as a speed bump to the sea life that migrates up and down the coast. There is a huge Cape Fur seal colony at the foot of the peninsula in the bay, and whales are often seen during in the bay in the whale migration season. Great Whites have been seen in the bay around the time when seal pups are young. There's also a colony of penguins that are here part of the year. There are shorter 30-minute and 2-hour hikes, as well as a more strenuous 4-hour hike around the entire peninsula.
- 1 Birds of Eden (At Monkeyland, The Crags, 16 km outside Plett, east along the N2), ☏ +27 44 534-8906, fax: +27 44 534-8907, email@example.com. The largest enclosed aviary in the world.
- Dolphin Adventures, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Goose Valley Golf Estate (Goose Valley) (N2 Motoway Plett, just outside Plett, towards Port Elizabeth), ☏ +27 44 533-5082. A beautiful 18-hole golf course designed by Gary Player.
- Ocean Blue Adventures. 1.5. Doing a sea safari is an excellent way to get up close and see the sea life in the bay. With close encounter permits, they are allowed up close to the sea life. Most trips see some dolphins, seals are always seen, but shark and whale sightings are obviously seasonal. lat=.
- 2 Ocean Safaris, ☏ +27 82 784-5729, email@example.com. Holds a permit to conduct close encounters with the marine life in the bay as well as being fair trade in tourism and Green Ticket certified. Owner run company with a passion for the ocean. Sightings are great all year round with official season from July-December when we sight both southern right and humpback whales. We sight Brydes whales throughout the year with sightings being the most prolific during the summer months. Dolphins frequent the bay on almost a daily basis and sightings include: the playful bottlenose, energetic commons, and the endangered humpbacked dolphins.
- Parks & Hiking Trails. The Plettenberg Bay region is surely home to one of the finest collections of hiking trails in the world. This is where the coastal platform narrows on the Garden Route , bringing the mountains near to the sea. Deep and ancient river gorges; evergreen forests; colourful fynbos and a spectacular stretch of coastline provide the ideal location for hiking enthusiasts. There is a large variety of walks in this region ranging from under an hour to six days in duration
- Surfing and Bodyboarding. Plettenberg Bay contains some excellent surf spots, including Plett Wedge, Lookout Beach, Keurbooms and The Wreck. You may even see some dolphins on the waves with you, and perhaps even a shark or two as well.
- Tsitsikamma Canopy Tours, Darnell Street Stormsriver 6308, ☏ +27 42 281-1836. Enjoy the unequaled beauty of the indigenous forest high up on ten treetop platforms. Gently glide along in a harness, on steel cables 30 m above the forest floor. Birdlife is abundant (including Knysna Loeries and the elusive Narina Trojan), and your guides will explain the ecology of the lush primeval forest. Safety is paramount, and the system has been built to the highest civil engineering standards. Guides are fully-trained professionals. R495 per person.
- 3 Monkeyland (From Plettenberg Bay, continue past Keurboomstrand on to The Crags. You will notice a Monkeyland sign on the N2, near the BP Garage (the garage is also known as the Garden Route Superrette). Take the turn-off (on the right) at this BP Garage and follow the Monkeyland signs for a further 2 km. It is 2 km off the N2, and the tarred road is well signed.), ☏ +27 44 534-8906, firstname.lastname@example.org. 8AM to 5PM. Monkeyland is the world's first free roaming multi-species primate sanctuary. Monkeyland has as one of its aims, to create awareness about the plight of primates and to show that with a greater understanding of our primate cousins, that we can all live in harmony. Single ticket: from R230 (adult), R115 (child 3/12years).
- Bramon Wine Estate, ☏ +27 44 534 8007, email@example.com. First wine estate in the Plett area.The wines can be tasted at the Estates restaurant
- Plett Zipline, ☏ +27 73 723-8033, firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su 7:30AM-4PM. Ziplining over a valley just outside Plettenberg Bay R550.
Plettenberg Bay has a number of unique shops with talented and creative designers.
- The Market Square which is the largest and hosts Pick n Pay, Woolworths and a number of other chainstores.
- Mellvilles Centre hosts the Spar, a charity shop, PNA and a great little coffee shop amongst others.
- Milkwood Centre: on Central Beach and is home to Ocean Safaris holder of one of a few close encounter whale watching permits, Dolphin Adventures Sea kayaking, The Yellow wood Spur, Fat Fish Seafood Restaurant, Live Green wholesome fresh food, and a beach hire and sales shop. A great addition to this centre is the newly opened Plett Beachfront accommodation which is the closest you will get to the sea on central beach with great prices.
- Liv Green: Situated in Milkwood Centre on Central Beach.
- Mugg 'n Bean, The Market Square, Beacon Way, ☏ +27 44 533-1486, fax: +27 44 533-2501. Great place for breakfast, lunch or coffee.
- Enrico’s Ristorante, Keurbooms Main Beach, ☏ +27 44 535 9818, email@example.com.
- Flashbacks on the main road, good lively bar, especially during Matric Rage.
- VIP - Vegas in Plett, is a club just outside the town. Great night out!
- The Clubhouse Restaurant (Goose Valley Restaurant), The Clubhouse @ Goose Valley Golf Estate (Just outside Plett, East on the N2), ☏ +27 44 533-0889. 7AM-late. Lovely golf club dining, varied menu with weekly specials. Dinner in the evenings is by booking only and they Cater for functions including weddings, and golf days.
- Forever Resorts Plettenberg (Just off the N2, 6 km outside Plettenberg Bay), ☏ +27 44 535-9309, firstname.lastname@example.org. Chalets, log cabins and caravan park.
- African Array Lodge (from N2 take the Ladywood turn off and look out for their sign next to the Greenwood sign, then follow), ☏ +27 44 533 9108, email@example.com.
- Holiday Homes Plettenberg Bay (take Odland Street off Main Road, 2nd left into Le Vaillant, #9), ☏ +27 11 883-2379, firstname.lastname@example.org. Holiday accommodation rental.
- 1 Home from Home Holiday Villas, Homes & Apartments, 15 Gris Nez, ☏ +27 445336662, email@example.com. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 10AM. Offers holiday accommodation - beach villas, family holiday homes and apartments.
- Milkwood Manor, Salmack Road, Lookout Beach, ☏ +27 44 533-0420, firstname.lastname@example.org. The Georgian-styled building is designed for spaciousness, reflecting the vast landscape surrounding it, without sacrificing its ambiance of intimacy. This is epitomized by the airy double-storeyed foyer, the large yet cosy restaurant, the private patios and balconies, and large breakfast and sundowner terrace, that afford spectacular views over the Indian Ocean, Keurbooms River Mouth, Keurbooms Lagoon and Tsitsikamma Mountains. Guesthouse and restaurant.
- Continue west along the Garden Route to Knysna, or east to Nature's Valley.