A very tight valley with just one road in and out. The road is for authorised vehicles only and so the general public must park in the pay-and-display parking lot at the top of the village. It is expensive and very busy during high season. As of Easter 2022 it will cost £6 for up to 3 hours and can only be paid with coins. The walk from the car park to the small harbour is 1km with a bit of a slope to climb on the way back.
Park in Looe and take the bus that leaves from in front of the doctor's surgery.
From Looe take the well marked coastal path. It's a lovely 8km walk, taking about an hour to two depending on speed. However the steep climb out of Polperro may prove problematic for some.
The walk into town from the parking lot is not very steep and takes 10 minutes. If walking is not your thing, there's a horse and cart or converted milk float "tram" that will take you there and back for £1.50 (75p one way).
There are a couple of art galleries on the walk from the car park to the harbour that may be worth a visit.The coastpath to the nearby town of Looe also makes a pleasant walk on a summer's day.
- 1 Polperro Harbour Heritage Museum, 4 The Warren, PL13 2RB, ☏ . 10.30AM-4.30PM. £3 (adult).
- 2 Polperro Model Village, Mill Hill, PL13 2RP, ☏ . Miniature representation of the village, model railway and museum of local myths and legends.
Sea trips from the harbour. There have been plenty of sightings of basking sharks just off Polperro Harbour and the converted fishing boats do 30 minute round trips to see them if they are around.
Walk the coast path towards Talland Bay and Looe. When leaving Polperro following Ruebens Walk down the cliff will take you to Spy House Point with great views along the coast and the miniature Spy Point lighthouse.
In the village centre you will find the usual array of touristy goods and souvenirs that you would find in any seaside town in Cornwall.
- 1 Couch's Great House Restaurant, Saxon Bridge, PL13 2QT, ☏ . Modern English cuisine.
- 2 Nelsons Restaurant, Saxon Bridge (Opposite the village square), ☏ . Seafood restaurant at the centre of the village.
- 1 Crumplehorn Inn & Mill, The Coombes, Looe (opposite the main Polperro car park, just before you enter the village), ☏ , email@example.com. Old inn and public house.
- 2 The Three Pilchards, Quay Road, PL13 2QZ (follow the harbour on the south side along Quay Road), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Early 16th-century harbourside pub with rooftop beer garden.
- 3 The Blue Peter Inn, Quay Road, PL13 2QZ (follow Quay Road until it reaches the end of the harbour, the inn is on the right on the far corner), ☏ . Historic pub overlooking the mouth of the harbour and beach.
- 4 The Ship Inn, Fore Street, Looe, PL13 2QR (from the main car park head down into the village along Fore Street, the pub is on the right), ☏ . Pub within the main village.
- Looe - harbour town at the mouth of the East and West Looe rivers.
|Routes through Polperro|
|END ←||W E||→ Looe|