Pondicherry, now officially named Puducherry, is a union territory in Southern India. It consists of a number of enclaves in three different states:
- Pondicherry — a cluster of 11 enclaves in Tamil Nadu, containing the main town and capital of the territory
- Auroville — a popular spiritual and religious site in Pondicherry state, very near to Chennai
- Karaikal — an enclave further south in Tamil Nadu
- Mahe — two enclaves in Kerala
- Yanam — an enclave in Andhra Pradesh
All of these enclaves were under French occupation before they were peacefully handed over to India. Each enclave shares a mixed culture heritage, combining their South Indian roots with a French colonial past.