Ponta Delgada is the largest city in the Azores archipelago. It is on the island of São Miguel, and was home to 69,000 people in 2011. It is an important administrative, industrial and agricultural centre, and the home of the University of the Azores.
Ponta Delgada (POHN-tuh dehl-GAH-duh, /ˈpõ.tɐ dɛɫ.ˈga.dɐ/), the city on São Miguel island, is not to be confused with Ponta Delgada, the rural civil parish on the north coast of Flores island.
- 1 Ponta Delgada Airport (PDL IATA, João Paulo II Airport). The main entry point to the Azores. There is unlimited free Wi-Fi throughout the terminal areas.
Major carriers serving Ponta Delgada Airport include:
- Azores Airlines, ☏ , toll-free: (U.S.). Connects mainland Europe and North America with the Azores. Cities served include Boston, Frankfurt, Lisbon, London, Toronto, Paris, and Porto.
- SATA Air Açores flies within the Azores archipelago and from Madeira.
- TAP Air Portugal Portugal's flag carrier, also has direct flights from Lisbon to the islands of Terceira, Faial and Pico. The airline also flies between Porto and Terceira islands.
- Ryanair flies from Lisbon, Frankfurt-Hahn (seasonal), London-Stansted, and Porto.
Several cruise lines make Ponta Delgada a waypoint when journeying across the Atlantic. Some cruise ships spend a day at the port, often as they reposition themselves between cruising Europe and the Western Hemisphere.
- The 2 marina has a cruise ships’ quay, a pavilion, and a hallway of shops. The marina also has pools, including a big natural pool.
There are taxi services at the airport.
There is an airport bus that sells only roundtrip tickets (€5).
Buses run the main avenue and are conveniently accessible from major sites in Ponta Delgada. In-town bus services are handled by smaller mini-buses with the larger touring buses handling community-to-community travel on the island. Both services are accessible along Avenida D. Infante Henriques and can confuse the unfamiliar traveler. Schedules are available at bus stops and the tourist office.
It's possible to walk into town from the airport but it's not fun if you have much luggage.
Visitors can best experience the city on foot, as travel distances are relatively short. For day trips to other parts of the island, consider buses, taxis, or a rental car.
- City tours are based along the Avenida where visitors can find several services to sightsee, including horse-drawn carriage, panoramic bus tours and the Lagarta Tourist Train that travels along the streets.
- 1 Carlos Machado Museum, Rua do Dr.Guilherme Poças 65 (in the Convento de Santo Andre), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. It portrays the scientific mentality of the 19th century. Most of the information is by naturalists of the second half of the 19th century after the publication of Darwin’s Theory of Evolution and the Oceanographic expeditions.
- 2 Town Hall.
- 3 Fort São Bras.
- 4 Parish Church of São Sebastiao.
- 5 Church of São Jose.
- 1 Ponte Delgada Marina. Visitors can go speedboat racing and big game fishing here.
- Organised whale- and dolphin-watching from small boats operating out of Ponta Delgada is increasingly popular. Also whale watching at Blue Talassa.
- 2 CD Santa Clara. Watch football, i.e. soccer, at CD Santa Clara, who play in Primeira Liga, the top tier of Portuguese football. Their home ground is Estádio de São Miguel (capacity 13,000), 3 km east of town.
- Festa do Senhor Santo Cristo dos Milagres. yearly on the fifth Sunday after Easter. One of the many religious festivities held in the Azores. The town of Ponta Delgada is transformed into a town of color and lively celebration, decorated with colourful flowers and decorative bedspreads hung from balconies. The celebration starts with the blessing of the bread and meat, and the distribution of food among the needy. The festival then continues with a procession, music and fireworks.
The islands produce surprisingly good wines and cheese.
Ponta Delgada's locals produce handmade crafts that are sold on the street and in small markets and boutiques along the main avenue. Visitors will find small ceramic bowls or plates, woven jewellery, and other one-of-a-kind items. The most common souvenirs are scrimshaw, wicker products, lace, embroderies, liqueurs, and flags.
Ponta Delgada is known for its pineapple harvest, so trying fresh pineapples from a local market is a must.
- 1 Restaurante Atlântida (São Miguel Park Hotel), Rua Manuel Augusto Amaral, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Hotel has a restaurant that serves international, regional, and vegetarian dishes.
- 2 Casa Marisca, Rua Engenheiro José Cordeiro 127, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M–Sa 11:00–23:00, closed Su. A great small restaurant with good seafood, friendly service, and a nice atmosphere.
- 3 O Corisco, Rua Manuel da Ponte 28, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M W–F Su 12:00–15:00 & 18:30–23:00, Sa 18:30:23:00, closed Tu. Known for scrumptious Continental cuisine. €7-15.
- 4 Mercado do Peixe, Avenida Infante Dom Henrique 25, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Daily 12:00–15:00 & 18:00–23:00. Serves excellent local seafood. Despite its name, Mercado do Peixe is a restaurant, not a fish market.
- 5 Õtaka, Rua Hintze Ribeiro 5, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu–Sa 19:00–22:30, closed Su M. Great variety with generous portions of sushi. €25-85.
- 6 A Tasca, Rua do Aljube 20, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tapas bar and restaurant.
- Ponta Delgada is known for its different types of liqueurs and alcohols, particularly Passion Fruit Liqueur.
- For unusual drinks, visit Baia dos Anjos, one of the more interesting bars that serves theme-based drinks and food based on local festivals and cultural events.
- Portas do Maris Marina by the port has a number of bars with live bands almost every night.
- Another good place for mixed drinks and local wines is San Miguel Park Hotel.
- 1 Bombom Bihlares. This nightclub is a great place to hang out, especially on rainy days.
- 1 Azores Dream Hostel, Rua Dr. Gil Mont'Alverne Sequeira 9, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. A more budget-friendly option and LGBTQ friendly. You can share a kitchen and maybe some breakfast. €26-54.
- 2 Azoris Royal Garden - Leisure & Conference Hotel, Rua de Lisboa, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 12:00. Four-star, 193-room hotel with Turkish bath, outdoor pool, tennis court, fitness center. €62-134.
- 3 Casa Vitoriana, Rua Dr. João Francisco de Sousa 34/38, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Furnished in original Victorian style but is fully modernised to create a cozy and clean feel.
- 4 Grand Hotel Açores Atlântico, Avenida Infante Dom Henrique 113, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00–00:00, check-out: 06:00. Five-star, 140-room hotel facing the marina. There's a heated indoor pool and conference rooms. €89-178.
- 5 The Lince Azores, Avenida Dom João 29, ☏ . Holidays, honeymoon, or business meetings in Azores. Outdoor swimming pool, garden, 24-hr front desk, luggage service, concierge service (newspapers, tours, rental), lobby, gift shop, free parking.
- 6 Hotel Marina Atlântico, Avenida João Bosco Mota Amaral 1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 15:00–00:00, check-out: 07:00–12:00. Four-star, 184-room hotel in the centre of Ponta Delgada overlooking the harbor and marina. Sauna, indoor pool, steam bath, and spa. €73-157.
- 7 Neat Hotel Avenida, Rua Dr. José Bruno Tavares Carreiro, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. Three-star, 120-room hotel right by the beaches, the main avenue, and shopping areas. Fitness centre, indoor pool, sauna, and spa. €48-92.
- 8 Hotel Ponta Delgada, Rua João Francisco Cabral 49, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 15:00–00:00, check-out: 05:00–11:00. Three-star, 98-room hotel in the heart of the city. Indoor pool set on an elevated terrace overlooking the town with a great view of Ponta Delgada. €50-159.
- 9 Quinta das Acácias, Rua Lapinha 74, Livramento (on the West Coast of the island), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. It is right near the ocean and Populo beach. Quinta das Acacias offers cottage style living accommodations in the midst of a well-kept flourishing green garden. Each cottage averages an area of 50 m². There are 1- or 2-bedroom units available.
- 10 Hotel Talisman, Rua Marquês da Praia e Monforte 40, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. In the middle of Ponta Delgata near all tourists attractions and nightlife. This hotel has 53 rooms, 5 suites and includes a restaurant, bar, and esplanade.
- 11 Vila Nova Hotel (My Story Hotel Vila Nova), Rua João Francisco Cabral 1, ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Three-star, 102-room centrally located hotel. Indoor pool, air conditioned rooms, fitness centre. Complimentary breakfast every morning. The hotel bar serves exotic cocktails and snacks all day long. €48-117.