Portland is a coastal town in Victoria, roughly midway between Melbourne and Adelaide, just beyond the region known as the Great Ocean Road.
The township is a very short diversion from the Princes Highway, around 360km east of Melbourne.
By train and coach
There is no regular passenger transport to Portland. There is an airport, for charter flights, etc. Mount Gambier and Melbourne are the alternatives.
Portland was Victoria's first permanent settlement, which gives it a rich heritage feeling with more than 200 historical buildings from the 1800s.
Portland has a long seafaring history beginning with the sealers and whalers that took shelter during southern storms in Portland's natural deep water harbour. Portland's Maritime Discovery Centre provides you with fascinating displays of this era as well information on whales with a Sperm Whale Skeleton, Southern Right Whale, Shark Showcase, the Portland Lifeboat from the 1850s, shipwreck displays and many other exhibits.
Today's waterfront is a hub of activity with ships from around the world loading up with local produce, the local fishing fleet bringing in their catch in the early mornings and locals and visitors alike strolling along the wide foreshore reserve.
Whales often visit in the winter months.
- The Lido Larder, 5 Julia St, ☏ . M-F 7:30AM–4PM.
- Arbour Potter's Cottage, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Admella Motel, 5 Otway Court, ☏ .
- Cape Bridgewater Bay House +61 3 9439 2966
- Portland Retro Motel (formerly Grosvenor Motel), 206 Hurd Street, ☏ , email@example.com.
- Victoria House, 5-7 Tyers Street, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Centrally located, four star heritage listed accommodation dating back to 1853. Nine fully restored ensuite rooms from $140 per night, including breakfast. Family room overlooking cottage-style garden also available. Free broadband access and airport transfers.
- Victoria Lodge Motor Inn and Serviced Apartments, ☏ , toll-free: 1800 032 232, fax: . 4 1/2 star motel accommodation and fully self-contained serviced holiday units on 155 Percy St.