Probištip is a city located in eastern North Macedonia. The city is home to an estimated 8,000 residents, while Probištip Municipality, which consists of 36 surrounding villages, has a population of almost 15,000 (2015).
The Zletovo region is so named for the major river that flows through it. Its largest city, home to about two-thirds of its population, is Probištip. The area is characterized primarily by hills and mountains, but also plains around the river. Probištip Municipality has a homogeneous population of ethnic Macedonians of the Orthodox Christian faith.
Probištip is known as a mining town, home to zinc and lead in its surroundings.
There isn't much to see in Probištip, but Lesnovo Monastery is found in a nearby village.
- 1 Lesnovo Monastery (Лесновски манастир), village of Lesnovo. One of Macedonia's best-preserved medieval monuments. This 14th-century monastery is an endowment of Serbian nobility and features excellently preserved frescoes. Located on the slopes of Mount Osogovo, it was an important literary centre. Even prior to the actual establishment of the monastery, this secluded area was popular for hermits. The monastery is believed to have been established by St Gabriel of Lesnovo in the 11th century. Jovan Oliver, magnate of Serbian Emperor Dušan, began construction on the monastery church in 1341. It was dedicated to St Michael the Archangel. Lesnovo Monastery maintains an active fraternity of monks. There are three 14th-century cave churches nearby that belong to the monastery.
- 2 Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary (Црква „Успение на Пресвета Богородица“), village of Zletovo. Zletovo is a large village of a few thousand. It is home to this church which dates from the 16th century, though sections of it are newer such as the west and south narthexes which were added in 1853. In the last several decades of Ottoman rule, this church belonged to the Bulgarian Exarchate, while a Zletovo church dedicated to St Elijah belonged to the Serbian church. The icons within the church are from the 19th century. Zletovo is also home to a monastery, established in 2010, with its church built in a Byzantine-revival style.
- Etno Lesnovo, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. The restaurant offers traditional dishes made of local produce. Visitors can sample home-made jams and sweets in a rustic setting.
- 1 Restaurant Komitski Konak, s.Pleshanci, ☏ .
- Kratovo, a town of medieval bridges and towers, is just 18 km (11 mi) to the north of Probištip