Prostějov was established in the 12th century. In the 14th century it was important trade city with German and Jewish communities. The city was damaged during the Hussite wars. Among most important owners were Perštejns who built city fortification (to nowadays just little fragments survived) and city chateaux. Strong development also occurred during the Lichteštejn´s era in the 16th century. At the end of the 19th century and at the first part of 20 century many architecturally valuable buildings were built in historicism, art nouveau and functionalism. During this time there is also big spread of textile industry. Before the Second World War, Prostějov had strong German-speaking Jewish community. In Prostějov Edmund Husserl, Jiří Wolker and Otto Wichterle were born.
Prostějov is well connected with the rest of Czechia and with neighbouring countries. Olomouc is 15–25 min away and there are fast or local trains roughly every hour while there are trains from Brno every two hours with a journey time of about 1¼ h.
- 1 Prostějov railway station (east of city centre, end of Svatoplukova Rd).
Prostějov is an interesting city mainly because of its architecture. The most important buildings are:
- The National House and Theatre – built between 1905 and 1907 in the style “art nouveau” by architect Jan Kotěra. Nowadays there is stylish café and theatre.
- The New City Hall – built between 1909 and 1914 by architect K. H. Kepka.
- The Old City Hall – built during the Renaissance era. Now it is the City Museum.
In the centre of the city, there are many cheap restaurants with daily menus around €3-5 for a meal.