- Bus - Buses leave daily from San José and pass through San Isidro de El General where passengers can also get on. Bus 699 leaves from San Jose at 06:00 and 12:00, taking about 10 hours to reach Puerto Jiménez. Bus 612 to Golfito can also be taken, which takes about 8 hours and leaves at 07:00 and 15:00.
- Ferry - The ferry from Golfito to Puerto Jiménez takes about an hour and a half and runs twice daily. Schedule is random and subject to change. Price US$2.
- "Air - A small airport in Puerto Jiménez is served by SANSA, and TravelAir/NatureAir. These flights generally run once or twice daily coming from San José and cost around US$80. See the respective air services for schedule detail.
A collectivo (shared jitney) runs twice daily, weather and road conditions permitting, between Puerto Jiménez and Carate.
Details on the jitney and much additional information (some of it dated, however) is available at Soldeosa.com.
- Scarlet Mawcaws. This is a prime viewing spot.
- Swimming. People swim in the calm waters off Puerto Jiménez and there are some pretty beaches nearby.
- Sunset. You can't miss a sunset in Golfo Dulce. Try sea kaking.
- Dolphins and whales. Golfo Dulce's warm water are the home of dolphins and many humpback whales give birth in here.
- Monkeys. Near Puerto Jiménez you have the opportunity to see the 4 kinds that live in Costa Rica.
Puerto Jiménez is a small town but offers a lot of things to do:
- Sea kayaking adventure.
- Mangrove forest exploration
- Bike trips
- Bird watching
- Jungle hikes
- Paradise beaches
- horse back riding
- Dolphin observation trips
- Il Giardino Italian Restaurant (200 m north from Banco Nacional, 50 m west), ☏ . 17:00-22:00. Great Italian restaurant. Serves the most traditional Italian recipes and original creations of the Chef Giulio. Seafood is always a first choice. The end of week sushi is often present, depending by the availability of fresh tuna. Quiet ambiance, soft music, no TV. Budget menu ₡5,000.
- Osa Peninsula Lodging Black Turtle Lodge
- Lapa's Nest TreeHouse and Garden Retreat Rental Home, Near Puerto Jiménez, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 11:00, check-out: 09:00. Lapa's Nest TreeHouse: Treehouse resort-style rental with private pool, hiking trails, 24/7 caretaker. On 50 ha (120 acres) with only three other homes. High above the Gulfo Dulce with rainforest and ocean views. Sleeps six to eight in queen and king beds. Six levels 15 m (50 feet) in the air wrapped around a giant guanacaste tree (the national symbol of Costa Rica). Totally furnished. Lapa's Garden Retreat: 10 min north of Puerto Jimenez in rainforest with ocean views. Weekly vacation home rental 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, ocean-view. Osa Peninsula Honeymoon Suite: sleeps 2. Lapa's Vacation Home, bedroom, 2 bathroom, Jacuzzi, pool, sleeps 8-10. Great birdwatching, Congo, Whiteface and Titi Monkeys come right up to the house. Lots of rainforest trails to hike on. Contact Blondie for availability, rates and reservations. They can also help you with domestic airfare, transportation to Osa, and eco tours in and around the Osa Peninsula near Corcovado National Park. Treehouse: US$1,800-2,500 weekly. Garden Retreat: US$750-1500. Osa Peninsula Honeymoon Suite: from $750/4 days or $1,200/week. Vacation Home: from $1,475 per week.
- 1 Cabinas Iguana Iguana (Just outside of town, a 5-minute walk north of the bus station), ☏ . Definitely a budget choice, Cabinas Iguana Iguana is located just outside of Puerto Jiménez and offers cheap private rooms with double and single beds. Rooms have private bathrooms and fans. Cold water showers. Management is friendly, but sometimes absent. They claim to have a swimming pool, but there was none to be found, however the beach is only a short walk away. There is a bar on site, but it is rather quiet. US$10 per person.
- Saladero Lodge, Golfo Dulce (1/2 hour boat ride from Pto Jiménez), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Saladero Lodge is an environmentally sensitive 200 ha (480 acre) private preserve set in the undeveloped Golfo Dulce and Piedras Blancas National Park. It includes 800 m (½ mile) of coastline on the Golfo Dulce and 190 ha (465 acres) of primary rainforest. Established in harmony with the natural environment, our goal is to provide to travelers seeking a unique location and experience, the opportunity to observe wildlife and natural wonders in a pristine and sustainable fashion while enjoying the comfortable and spacious accommodations. 3-day minimum cabin rental includes boat transportation from Golfito or Pto Jimenez, kayaks, snorkeling and fishing equipment. US$75 double occupancy and up.