Puerto Limón, commonly known as Limón, is a main city for cruise ships traveling through the Panama Canal. It is also a major transit point for travellers wishing to travel to Tortuguero by boat from the port of Moin; 15 minutes by bus from Puerto Limon.
- From San José, bus, 3 hours, ₡2500 (colones)
- From Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, bus, 1 hour 15 min, ₡1400
Puerto Limon hosts a wide range of awesome Caribbean buildings and several national heritage monuments like the first Baptists church from 1880s and the Black Star Line Building.
White-water rafting on the Reventizon River. 90 minute trip, traversing class 2 rapids (beginning level). Along the way, you may see sloths in the trees as well as the lush forest and cool water.
If you arrive by cruiseship, you can buy souvenirs in this city rather than from the tour company.
- Mas por Menos (Supermarket, owned by Walmart), Avenida 3 at Calle 3.
- Chile Rojo thai restaurant, calle central (Puerto Viejo de Limon), ☎ . 12:00-22:00. Great food - Thai and other Asian, excellent sushi. From US$5.
- Park Hotel Restaurant, Av 3 btw Calles 1 & 2. Average wine, really excellent sea food. Worth a visit for the seafood soup alone. US$50 for 3-course dinner with wine for two people. US$25.
- Hotel International - Cheap option 300 meters east of the Black Star Line. Close to center. Double room ₡6500
- Costa Rica Tree House. A unique place to stay near Limón.
- [formerly dead link]Totem Hotel Beach Resort, Playa Cocles, Puerto Viejo (1,5Km south of Puerto Viejo), ☎ . Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 12:00. 50 steps from a sandy beach and the crystal, clear water of the Caribbean Sea. US$60/80.
- Hotel Miami (Free Wifi), Avenida 2. Check-out: 12:00. US$33 (en suite double room with fan).
- To Moin (for Tortuguero), bus, 15 minutes.