It has great coastal scenery and is best known for the Pancake Rocks and Blow Holes.
The long drive in (2-3 hr) from Nelson winds through the Buller Gorge before it nears Westport and is scenically interesting almost the whole way, but along narrow, winding, roads. The final 50 min drive south from Westport is along a truly stunning coast after you reach the sea.
- Pancake Rocks and Blow Holes (Dolomite Point). The Pancake Rocks are picturesque limestone formations that look curiously like stony stacks of pancakes after being pounded by the Tasman Sea for tens of thousands of years. The blow holes funnel blasts water up to 15 m (50 ft) into the air as the waves crash into the caverns below the rocks. The best spouts are caught at high tides with westerly waves (usually signposted at the information centre) but a leisurely 20 min walk around the boardwalks is still great even without timing your visit.
- Green Kiwi Tours, ☎ , toll-free: 0800 47 47 33. Eco and cultural tours; walks, hikes and caving trips.
- Punakaiki Horse Treks, +64 3 731-1839. Guided two and a half hour treks leaving morning and afternoon. Ride into Punakaiki river valley and Paparoa national park and finish along the beach. $125 per person with a two person minimum for the standard tour, personalized tours for $175. Closed during the winter.
- Pororari River Track.
- Punakaiki Canoes, ☎ .
- Nature's Tours, Punakaiki Canoes building (1 km north of Punakaiki Information Centre), ☎ . Specialised guided tours exploring the coastlines and forests of the Paparoa National Park. $45-400.
- Punakaiki Crafts, State Highway 6, +64 3 731-1813. Co-op owned and featuring changing displays of greenstone, wood, glass, and other materials. Summer, 08:30-19:00; Winter, 09:00-17:00.
Eat and drink
- Punakaiki Cafe, State Highway 6, +64 3 731-1813.
- Punakaiki Tavern & Bistro, State Highway 6 and Owen Street, +64 3 731-1188. Daily from 08:00.
- Rata Cafe, State Highway 6, +64 3 731-1151. Views of the sea. Summer, open 7 days; Winter, W-Su.
- Seascape, +64 3 731-1168. Located on the beachfront with views of the Tasman Sea. Opening at 07:00 for breakfast and then staying open for lunch and dinner.
- Wild Coast Cafe, +64 3 731-1873. Groceries and liquor also available. Daily 08:00 to sunset.
- Havenz Punakaiki. Punakaiki Canoes Building (1km north of Punakaiki Info Centre), +64 3 731 1442. Luxury homes and holiday apartments, in the bush or on the beaches.
- Hydrangea Cottages, ☎ , fax: . Five cottages set into the rainforest with stunning sea views. Studio and family suites available. $185-$295 per night for 2 people, more people extra.
- Paparoa Park Motel, ☎ , toll-free: 0800 72 72 76. Five studios, 3 family units. $120-$150.
- Punakaiki Beach Hostel, 4 Webb St, ☎ . Tent sites, NZ$14; 5+ bed dorm, NZ$19; 5 or less bed Share, NZ$21; Twin room, NZ$24; Double room, NZ$24; Single room, NZ$35. All prices per person and with BBH discount. If not a BBH member, add NZ$3.
- Punakaiki Cottage Motel, +64 3 731 1008. Studio and family cottages available.
- Punakaiki Motor Camp, Owen St, +64 3 731 1894. Cabins also available.
- Punakaiki Rocks Hotel and Villas, ☎ , toll-free: 0800 786 2524. 63 room hotel with luxury eco units, deluxe rooms, and luxury standard rooms.
- Punakaiki Tavern Accommodation, State Highway 6 and Owen St, +64 3 731 1188. Nine ensuite studios.
- Te Nikau Retreat, Hartmount Place, +64 3 731 1111. A hostel just north of town.
- Te Puna Bush Haven, Hartmount Place, +64 3 731 1141.
- The Beach House, +64 3 789 7942.
- The Rocks Homestay and Bed & Breakfast, ☎ . Hartmount Place. 3 ensuite rooms: two queen, one twin. NZ$110 - NZ$175 for double or single occupancy. Evening meals NZ$40 - NZ$50 with extra for wine.
- Tidz In Cottage, +64 3 789 7286. Two bedroom cottage with kitchen.
- Wave Watchers Retreat, ☎ . Two bedroom home with kitchen and other features. Approx NZ$250 for first night and NZ$200 for each additional night for two people.
- Westport – to the north
- Greymouth – to the south
- Franz Josef Glacier and Fox Glacier – tourist attractions further to the south
|Routes through Punakaiki|
|Nelson ← Murchison ←||N S||→ Greymouth|