Pyeongchang (평창) is a city and a county in Gangwon. The city hosted the 2018 Winter Olympic and Winter Paralympic Games. Pyeongchang County's slogan, "Happy700 Pyeongchang", refers to the city's average elevation, approximately 700 m, which is said to make people live in best condition. Pyeongchang has three mottos related to this slogan. These are 'Best place for health, rest, leports - Happy700 Pyeongchang', 'The city of nature, health, longevity - Happy700 Pyeongchang', 'Optimal environment for human's life - Happy700 Pyeongchang'.
- Korea Travel Hotline & Complaint Center, ☏ , toll-free: 1330. 24 hr. Support Korean, English, Chinese, Japanese to announcing tour information, complaints and emergency calls. Free.
- [dead link] Gangwon Tourist Information Office (Gangneung), 330, Gyeongpo-ro. Gangneung-si, ☏ . Free.
- Gangwon Tourist Information Office (Chuncheon), 19, Chuncheon-ro, Chuncheon-si, Gangwon-do, ☏ . Free.
The Gyeonggang Line (경강선) passes through Pyeongchang from west to east, providing main-line rail service. 'Korea Train Express'(KTX) stop at 'Pyeongchang Station' and 'Jinbu Station'.
Gyeonggang Line is operated from Seoul to Gangneung. Some KTX Depart from Incheon International Airport.
- 1 Jinbu Station (진부역) serves Jinbu-myeon and Daegwallyeong-myeon, Pyeongchang County.
- 2 Pyeongchang Station (평창역) serves Yongpyeong-myeon and Bongpyeong, Pyeongchang County. It also serves other areas of Pyeongchang via bus.
Pyeongchang terminal is near the Pyeongchang sports complex. It is the only intercity bus terminal in Pyeongchang. Major domestic route destination:
- Dong-Seoul terminal (Korean: 동서울종합터미널, it is in Seoul) - Pyeongchang intercity bus terminal (Korean: 평창시외버스터미널)
- Wonju intercity bus terminal (Korean: 원주시외버스터미널, it is in Wonju) - Pyeongchang intercity bus terminal
- Chuncheon intercity bus terminal (Korean: 춘천시외버스터미널, it is in Chuncheon) - Pyeongchang intercity bus terminal
There is no airplane directly headed to Pyeongchang. There are a few flights in Yangyang International Airport, but this is not recommended.
If you use a charter flight, Yangyang International Airport is a possible option. Otherwise, use other methods.
- 3 Yangyang International Airport (YNY IATA). Although almost as far away as Seoul, Yangyang airport has domestic flights from Busan's Gimhae International Airport, Jeju island and Kitakyushu in Japan.
- 4 Wonju Airport (WJU IATA). With a scheduled flight from Jeju on Korean Air but no flights from Seoul, this is a much closer option to the city of Pyeongchang if you are determined to fly in rather than take a bus.
The 234-km Yeongdong Expressway connects Incheon to Gangneung. Numbered 50, it connects the Seoul area with Gangwon Province. Pyeongchang is between Incheon and Gangneung. You can enter the Pyeongchang by move out to Pyeongchang InterChange in Yeongdong Expressway.
Pyeongchang has few city bus lines, but there are many taxis. In Pyeongchang, the base rate of a taxi is ₩2,800 and it will increase by ₩200 per 152 m. Remembering a taxi-calling agency’s or driver’s phone number is useful.
- 1 Odaesan National Park (오대산국립공원(Hangul)). Odaesan National Park is one of the many famous mountains in Korea, known for its temples and waterfalls. Centered on Birobong, which rises 1,563 m above sea level, five peaks line up like a folding screen, while Sogeumgang Valley, which means little Mt Geumgangsan, is situated below. Mt Odaesan was a by-name for China's Shanxisheng Mt Qingliangshan but Jajangyulsa, who studied in these mountains during the Silla dynasty, decided to call the mountain in Korea Mt Odaesan since the features of the two mountains were very similar. As the physical aspects of Mt Odaesan are smoother than Mt Seoraksan, anyone can easily take up the challenge of hiking here. Also, people of all ages love Mt Odaesan as the perfect place for a forest bath.
- Odaesan Woljeongsa fir forest trails (오대산 월정사 전나무숲길), 350-7, Odaesan-ro, Jinbu-myeon, Pyeongchang-gun, Gangwon-do.
- 2 Daegwallyeong (대관령), Hoenggye-ri, Pyeongchang-gun, Gangwon-do, Korea / Seongsan-myeon, Gangneung-si, Gangwon-do, Korea. Daegwallyeong is a mountain pass in the Taebaek Mountains of eastern South Korea. At a height of 832 m, it is between Hoenggye-ri, Pyeongchang-gun and seongsan-myeon, Gangneung-si.
- 3 Baegnyong Cave (백룡동굴), 82 Maha-ri, Mitan-myeon, ☏ . 09:00-15:00. Baengnyong Cave is at the floor of Baegunsan Mountain. It is the first cave in Korea where visitors can engage in caving with the help of a professional guide. Designated as Natural Monument #260, the cave has diverse cave formations such as icicle-shaped stalactites, stalagmites formed on the ground, rock formations looking like fried eggs, and stone pillars formed by stalactites from the ceiling and stalagmites from the ground joining together. ₩15,000-10,000, group discounts.
Temples and shrines
- 4 Woljeongsa Temple, 63 Dongsan-ri, Jinbu-myeon. Famous for its Citadel Museum, which has on display numerous cultural relics and treasures, and an octagonal nine-stage stone pagoda. The huge fir tree forest road is so beautiful that it has been the setting of many dramas and movies. There is Woljeongsa museum and there are many Korean national treasure and many Buddhist arts.
- 5 [dead link] Sangwonsa (상원사), 1215-89, Odaesan-ro, ☏ . Established during the Silla dynasty. King Yejong designated it as a memorial for his father, King Sejo during the Joseon dynasty. It was partially preserved during the Korean war, while Woljeongsa was burnt down. The bell of Sangwonsa is the oldest bronze bell in South Korea, which is famous with its clear and beautiful ring.
- Pyeongchang Hyanggyo, ☏ .
- 6 Potatoflower studio (감자꽃 스튜디오), 105 gogilcheollo, Pyeongchang-eup, ☏ . In the village of Pyeongchang, Gangwon Province, a small village in Pyeongchang, Gangwon Province, a flower village called it was built to repair a small school called Nosan school, which was enclosed in the middle of a beautiful mountain village. The school has turned into an exhibition hall, a library, a museum, and a dining room.
- Pyeongchang Freshwater Fish Museum (평창 민물고기 생태관), 42-5, Maha-gil, Mitan-myeon. 09:00-18:00. After a plan for building a dam in Dong River was canceled, it was established in 2009 to promote the region. You can learn about fishes living in the river. Adult ₩2,000.
- Lee Seung-bok Memorial Hall (이승복 기념관), 500-1 Unduryeong-ro, Yongpyeong-myeon, ☏ . The Lee Seung-bok Memorial Hall is in Nodong-ri, Yongpyeong-myeon to memorialize Lee Seung-bok who was a South Korean boy murdered by North Korean commandos in 1968. It was established in 1982, with building a memorial statue for Lee. Lee's house was restored in 2000.
- 7 Jeonggangwon (Traditional Korea Cuisine Experience Center (한국전통음식 문화체험관)), 21 Baekokpo-ri, Yongpyeong-myeon. Jeonggangwon was established with the aim of doing research on the value and excellence of Korea's traditional food culture, distributing and publicizing the Korean traditional food culture into the world. It is operated to make it possible for visitors to learn and experience the Korean traditional food culture, and Jeonggangwon is the place where visitors can feel the beauty native to Korea other than a simple touring site.
- Eoreumchi Village (어름치 마을(Hangle)), 42-5, Maha-gil, Mitan-myeon, Pyeongchang-gun, Gangwon-do, ☏ . The township in the clean nature is beautiful with mountain scenery and valley made up of the meandering river and rock stratum. You can enjoy various water sports such as rafting, kayaking, skyline, etc., and you can enjoy stunning stalagmites in Baekryong Cave, Natural Monument 260, a limestone cave. Adult ₩39,000, child ₩33,000.
- 8 Hyoseok Cultural Town (이효석문화마을(Hangul)), 157, Ihyoseok-gil, Bongpyeong-myeon, Pyeongchang-gun, Gangwon-do, ☏ . Closed on Mondays, January 1, Thanksgiving. The town is a tourist attraction as the background of the novel, When Bucketwheet Flowers Blossom (1967). Each year the festival will be held here in late summer, late August early September. (cf. 2016 Hyoseok Cultural Festival) Adult ₩2,000, teenagers ₩1,500, youth ₩1,000.
- Pyeongchang Hyoseok Culture Festival. Late August - early September. Lee Hyoseok, one of the greatest authors of modern Korean literature, holds the festival at Pyeongchang, the actual stage of the story, When the Buckwheat Flowers Bloom. During the festival visitors can also enjoy the special ambiance created by the prolific buckwheat flowers.
- Fun Ski Festival. Early December to early March, around seven times. A ski festival for foreign visitors in Yongpyeong Resort, the heart of Korean skiing. For three nights and four days, participants enjoy ski lessons, dinners and various events. On the last day, all participants take part in a ski competition. Many foreigners participate in this romantic winter festival every year to enjoy the snow, skiing and parties.
- 1 Pyeongchang Trout Festival, Gangwon-Do, Pyeongchang-Gun, Jinbu-Myeon, Gyeonggang-Ro, 3562(Street address), ☏ . 09:00-17:00. Every year, Pyeongchang hosts the trout festival from the end of December to the end of January. Trout are considered to be specialties of PyeongChang because they are the first fish to be farmed. At the festival, visitors can experience Fishing tent, Ice fishing, Catching trout with bare hands. Fishing equipment and convenience tools can be purchased at the site. It also offers a variety of sporting events such as sled, ice bike, snow rafting, Korean traditional sled, skate, four-wheel motorcycle, ice cart and so on. ₩10,000-35,000; each sporting event costs ₩6,000.
- Odaesan Buddhist Culture Festival (오대산 문화 축전). Early October.
- Daegwalryeong Snow Festival (대관령 눈꽃 축제). February 7–18, 2018. This celebrates the region's snow with fireworks, an ice art contest, ice-fishing, and an international marathon.
- 2 Daegwallyeong Sky ranch (대관령 하늘목장), 458-23, Kkotbatyangji-gil, Daegwallyeong-myeon. Sky Ranch is a representative ranch of the Daegwallyeong composed in 1974. Admission fee: child ₩ 4,000, adults ₩ 5,000 + additional charges.
- 3 Daegwallyeong samyang ranch (대관령 삼양목장), 1-107, Hoenggye-ri, Pyeongchang-gun, Gangwon-do, Korea, ☏ . Nov-Jan 08:30-16:00; Feb and Oct 08:30-16:30; Mar Apr Sep 08:30-17:00; May-Aug 08:30-17:30. Adult ₩9,000, child ₩7,000.
- Daegwallyeong Sheep Farm (대관령 양떼 목장), 483-32, Daegwallyeongmaru-gil, ☏ . This ranch is the only place where sheep are raised, although there are many ranches in the region. Visitors can see the sheep along a circular walkway, or give a hay to them.
Farms and gardens
- 4 Herbnara Tourist Farm, 291-42, Heungjeonggyegok-gil, Bongpyeong-myeon, Pyeongchang, 강원 평창군 봉평면 흥정계곡길 291-42. This is a famous dating course. More than 100 types of herbs thrive in the garden and herb restaurants here serve tasty and healthy food. ₩7,000.
- 5 Korea Botanic Garden (한국자생식물원), 405-2, Byeongnae-ri, Daegwallyeong-myeon, Pyeongchang 강원도 평창군 대관령면 비안길 159-4 (대관령면). Widely varying flowers and plants can be seen in the Korea Botanic Garden. Flowers bloom from spring to autumn in the wild flower community, a perfect place to take a photograph.
- 6 Alpensia Resort (알펜시아 리조트), 325, Solbong-ro, Daegwallyeong-myeon, ☏ . Alpensia has six slopes for skiing and snowboarding, with runs up to 1.4 km (0.87 mi) long, for beginners and advanced skiers, and an area reserved for snowboarders. While the resort is open year-round, the off-season turns the bottom of the slopes into a wild flower garden covering about 100,000 m². All slopes are closed between 16:30-18:30 each day for piste-maintenance. Night skiing is available 18:30-20:00
- 7 Yongpyong (Dragon Valley) Ski Resort (용평리조트), 715, Olympic-ro, Daegwallyeong-myeon, ☏ . Yongpyong ski resort offers skiing in winter, and golf in the summer months. It is the largest ski and snowboard resort in Korea. The ski season runs from November to early April. It has 31 slopes, 15 different lift facilities, including one gondola at a length of 3.7 km (2.3 mi), and Korea's largest ski house (Dragon Plaza).
- 8 Phenix Pyeongchang (휘닉스 평창), 174, Taegi-ro, Bongpyeong-myeon.
- Donggang Rafting, ☏ .
There is no big supermarket in Pyeongchang. You should shop in traditional markets or convenience stores or middle-sized markets such as Hanaro Mart.
- 1 Pyeongchang Olympic Market, Pyeongchang, Pyeongchang-eup, Pyeongchang-gun, Gangwon Province, market 1-gil 8-1 (Pyeongchang-eup)., ☏ . 07:00-20:00. Pyeongchang Olympic Market has been in business since 1955. It is in southern Pyeongchang. It is famous for buckwheat fry dish which over the past 40 years has been made the traditional way by directly grinding buckwheat.
- 2 Bongpyung Traditional Market (봉평전통시장), ☏ . Bongpyeongjang is the 5 days market is opened the 2th and 7th day. Buckwheat noodles, buckwheat pancakes, buckwheat muk, potato rice cakes, Tadpole noodles are sold in Bongpyung Traditional Market
- 3 Jinbu Market (진부시장), Jungang 61, Jinbu-myeon, Pyeongchang-gun, Gangwon-do, Korea, ☏ . Jinbu Market will be held in the 3rd and 8th days of the old bus terminal. Junbu Market is the biggest figure in the Pyeongchang. they sell alpine vegetables, various kinds of Seasoned vegetables in mountain, medicinal herbs.
- 4 Hanaro Mart Bongpyeong, Changdong-ri, Bongpyeong-myeon, Pyeongchang-gun, 276-2 (평창군 봉평면 창동리 276-2), ☏ .
- 5 [formerly dead link] Bongpyeongwon, Yongpyeong-myeon, Pyeongchang-gun, Gangwon Province, Topgeorigil 8-8, bongpyeongwon., ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Buckwheat store in Pyeongchang, Bongpyeongwon sell buckwheat flour, buckwheat rice, buckwheat noodles, buckwheat tea, buckwheat cookies and buckwheat fried flour.
- 6 Pyeongchang Farm (평창팜), 898-43, Bangnim-myeon, Pyeongchang-gun, Gangwon-do, Korea, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Pc Farm sells excellent agricultural products. You can buy seasoned vegetables, deodeok, kimchis, potatoes, etc.
- 7 Dragon Valley hotel gift shop (드래곤밸리호텔 기념품점), 130, Yongsan-ri, Daegwalnyeong-myeon, Pyeongchang, ☏ . Souvenir shop in Dragon Valley hotel.
- Buckwheat is Pyeongchang's and Gangwon`s special regional product. There are many local foodstuffs made of buckwheat. One famous dish is makguksu (buckwheat noodles). There is two kind of makguksu. One is mulmakguksu (with cool soup) and another is bibimmakguksu (with spicy sauce). Buckwheat jelly is also a famous food in Pyeongchang.
- Korean beef is Pyeongchang's special regional product. There is some place near to Pyeongchang called Daegwanryeong. Daegwanryeong is highland so there is a good place to breed cow for beef. Actually, Gangwondo's Korean beef is famous in Korea because there are many good places to breed cow for beef. There is a famous Korean beef festival in Hoengseong (near to Pyeongchang).
- Rainbow trout is one of the most popular foods in Pyeongchang. The fish's country of origin is North America and Russia. In South Korea, it was imported and raised in Pyeongchang in 1965. Pyeongchang has held 'Pyeongchang Trout Festival' and rainbow trout is treated as a native fish even though it was imported. In Korea, there are almost no native trouts, Koreans treat rainbow trout as native trout. There is a reason why Pyeongchang's rainbow trout tastes good. The reason is in the water. Rainbow trout is raised in fish farms. Pyeongchang's fish farms use the water from a valley. It is cold and pure. Because the fish swim freely around the large area, their meat is tasty.
- 1 Youngchun garden (영춘가든 (Hangul)), 3591-10 chang ri, seo-dong ro, mee-tan myeon, Pyeongchang, gangwon (by taxi or car (because of the mountain territory)), ☏ . A famous restaurant for own growing Korean traditional chicken and Korean ogol chicken cuisine (Hangul:오골계, Korean traditional black chicken). also famous for a stewed chicken with oriental medicinal herbs. ₩20,000 per person and more.
- 2 Paldo Myeon Ga (팔도면가 (Hangul)), jungri 53, pyeongchangeup, pyeongchanggun, gangwon, ☏ . A Korean traditional restaurant, that opened in 1980. Located nearby the Olympic market. A Buckwheat (Hangul: 막국수, Makgooksu), Spicy Stir-fried Chicken, a broiled eels are famous. Avoiding the artificial seasoning, only using a Korean traditional seasoning, natural herbs, local speciality. ₩10,000 per person and more.
- Makgeolli(rice wine) is Korean traditional alcohol is makgeolli. Corn is one of Pyeongchang`s speciality so there is Pyeongchang corn makgeolli. Soju is also Korean traditional alcohol and there is also Pyeongchang soju which is made by Solraewon.
- Buckwheat tea is a tea that has been made from some processes. First, make a boiled rice by using the buckwheat and dry it. Then pour the water and boil it. Buckwheat tea is a native foods of Gangwon-do. Buckwheat tea has many positive potencies. The main effects are diuretic effect, adult diseases prevention, cure of hypertension, improvements of liver function, diet, and it makes one's mind clear. Also, the buckwheat is good because it contains many nutrients such as amino acids, vitamins, lysine rather than any other grains. But people who have indigestion, hypotension, stomach and intestines diseases might as well avoid the buckwheat. In Korea, there is a very famous novel, At Buckwheat Flower-blossom Time. The setting of this novel is Pyeongchang. Especially Pyeongchang-gun Bongpyeong-myeon is famous for the novel and buckwheat.
Inns and hotels There are many local inns and hotels around at reasonable prices ranging from ₩15,000 and up. Because there are no English introduction except for hotel or resort, so there are some extra explanation about motel and guesthouse such as price, check in, check out and so on.
- 1 43beonga Guesthouse, Gangwon-Do, Pyeongchang-Gun, Daegwallyeong-Myon, Omok-Ro 43-54, ☏ . Check-in: 15:00-23:00, check-out: 11:00. Guesthouse is cheaper than hotel or resort. There are three rooms in this guesthouse (Sun, Moon, Star). Sun room and Moon room are 6-dormitory and Star room is 8-dormitory. Utility charges are the same ₩20,000 per person. on April, May, June, July, August, September, October. On weekend (Friday~Saturday) of November, December, January, February, March, Visitors must pay extra fee, ₩25,000 per person.
- 2 Pyeongchang Guesthouse, Gangwon-Do, Pyeongchang-Gun, Bongpyeong-Myon, Wongil-Ri 1056-1 Second floor, ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. This guesthouse is operated with Cafe 'Mano'. Visitors cannot share room with men and women and the basic etiquette is to protect the other tourists because it is a guesthouse. ₩25,000 per each person.
- 3 We-Motel, Gangwon-Do, Pyeongchang-Gun, Bongpyeong-Myon, Taegi-Ro 569, ☏ . Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 12:00. This motel is unmanned facility. All procedures are carried out through machines. If travellers use Family room, the rate will be ₩100,000 on weekdays and ₩120,000 on weekends. Normal rooms - weekdays: ₩50,000, weekends: ₩60,000.
- 4 CF-Motel, Gangwon-Do, Pyeongchang-Gun, Yongpyeong-Myon, Undoryeong-Ro 20, ☏ . Normal rooms - weekdays: ₩40,000, weekends: ₩50,000. Sub-special rooms - weekdays: ₩50,000, weekends: ₩60,000. Special rooms - weekdays: ₩60,000, weekends: ₩70,000. Also, there is an extra-fare in peak season.
- 5 Yong Pyong Resort Hotel, ☏ . 662 rooms
- 6 Phoenix Park, 174 Taegi-ro, Bongpyeong-myeon, Pyeongchang-gun, ☏ . 756 rooms.
- 7 Kensington Flora, 231, Jingogae-ro, Jinbu-myeon, Pyeongchang-gun, Gangwon-do, ☏ . 306 rooms. Its former name was Odeasan Hotel. It opened a 67,000-m² French-style garden in 2013.
- 8 Alpensia, Gangwon-Do, Pyeongchang-Gun, Daegwallyeong-Myon, Solbong-Ro 325, ☏ , toll-free: 00-798-817-1069 (domestic), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Ski resort and hotel
- 9 Millbridge (밀브릿지), bang-adalolo 1011-26 Jinbumyeon Pyeongchang-gun, Gang-wondo, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Millbridge is a lodging facility with eighteen rooms, and it's a natural learning experience center. It has a Forest Experience Training Center, Mineral water Experience Center. There are 18 rooms can accommodate 67 people, and 5 living rooms.
South Korea generally has a good deal of security. Drugs, gambling, and guns are prohibited in Korea. Pyeongchang has a population of 43,500 so this city is categorized as a small city in Korea. Also, owing to the small floating population, security is kept well. The crime rate in Pyeongchang is 91.0 per 10,000 people which is an average rate of Korea, so it is not a city to pay extra attention. Moreover, Gangwon-do Province Police has a high arresting rate of crime.
However, visitors need a basic sense of safety. Beware of pickpockets, beggars or violence. For visitors' safe travel, there are some emergency contacts. In Korea, civil servants can speak English basically, so visitors can solve many civil complaints without any problems if they report it in English.
- Fire, Medical Emergency, Rescue, ☏ 119.
- Emergency Sickness Consultations and Hospital Information, ☏ 1339.
- Reporting a crime, ☏ 112.
- Child Abuse, ☏ 1577-1391 (in country only).
- Missing Persons/Run-aways, ☏ 182.
- Women Hotline, ☏ 1366, 1577-1366 (in country only).
- Violation of Human Rights, Discrimination, ☏ 1331.
- Korea Legal Advice, ☏ 132.
- General Information Center for foreigners, ☏ 1345. Korean government has operated the General Information Center for foreigners. It provides venues for complaints or some information needed for foreigners who come to Korea. Visitors can use it by online (Hi-Korea website) and phone (1345). The online service is provided in 4 languages (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese). The Call-center's consultation is provided in Korean and other 17 languages. It is available 09:00-18:00.
Nearby port cities include:
- Donghae, which has a ferry connection to Ulleungdo island.
- Hoengseong is close to Pyeongchang and hosts a famous Korean beef festival.
- Odaesan National Park is also nearby and includes Odaesan (오대산), which is considered one of the most beautiful mountains in South Korea.