Most of the 13,800 people (2013) of the Qakh city are Azerbaijani people, but the town and the whole region are very multicultural. Avar people, Tsakhur people and muslim Georgians (called Ingiloy) also live here. The city has become a mountain resort for rich people, so there are now various hotels, resorts, restaurants, cottages, and tea houses in 5 km north of Qax.
- 1 Qax Rayon Avtovağzalı (Qax Rayon Central Bus Terminal), Heydar Aliyev Ave. Central bus terminal of Qax services buses from villages of Qax region, towns of Sheki Region, Baku, Barda and Ganja, and also to bordering Georgia.
to Qax from:
- Zaqatala: several marshrutkas par day (15:00/15:30), last bus is at 17:00 (1 manat, 1 hr)
- Şəki: 08:00, 11:30, 15:00, 17:30
from Qax to:
- Agcay: 12:10, 17:10
- Aliayli: 07:20, 09:00, 13:00
- Almali: 13:20
- Baku: 09:00, 21:30, 22:00, 23:00
- Barda: 09:30
- Baydarli: 07:20, 10:00, 13:00, 15:45
- Ganja: 08:00
- Ibaxli: 12:20, 15:30
- Ilisu: 07:30, 10:30, 12:00, 14:00, 17:00 (0.40 manat), runs from the big bus station to Ilisu and back. The sign is in Cyrillic, so ask if needed.
- Lalali: 07:20, 13:10
- Qashqachay: 07:10, 13:00, 17:30
- Qum: 07:00, 09:00, 12:00, 14:00, 17:00
- Şəki: 09:30 12:20 16:30 18:30
- Tasmali: 07:20, 12:00, 15:00
- Uzumlu: 16:00
- Zaqatala: 07:40, 07:50, 08:30, 09:25, 10:05, 11:40, 12:20, 13:25, 14:00, 15:30, 17:15
- Zarna-Lakit: 07:20, 13:00, 17:00
- Highway: R16
Qax is a tiny town and can easily be explored on foot.
- 1 İçəri bazar (Icheri Bazar, or Inner Market). Old quarter, founded at the beginning of the 18th century. At the beginning of the 19th century Russian troops restored the surrounding walls. Quarter consists of a dozen of tiled houses and fortress walls.
- 2 Complex of Historical Museum and Caucasian Orthodox Church, Uzeyir Hajibeyov str., 1. The exposition of Gakh History Museum introduces its visitors to the diverse nature of the region and its historical past, from ancient times to the 20th century. The museum has interesting archaeological, ethnographic, culturological and other collections. Here you can see bronze and ceramic items, tools, weapons, samples of national costumes, etc. Graveyard of the church still exists.
- 3 Müqəddəs Georgi Kilsəsi (Church of St George). Georgian Orthodox Church
- 1 Mount Ulubash (Ulubaş Dağı). At a height of 1,900 m enjoy spectacular views from this close-by mountain over Qax and its rayon.
- 2 Sarubash (Sarıbaş). Another village in the middle of the mountains surrounded by snowy summits, cold rivers and 4 waterfalls. The local population consists of Tsakhur people, hospitable to guests. Second-highest village of all Azerbaijan. The way to Sarubash is very interesting, and the leads through the Bulanıqsu stream, which is very difficult and requires 4WD to cross. Has Haji Tapdig's mosque built in the 16th-17th centuries.
- 3 Ilisu (İlisu) (take a taxi from Qax, 4-5 manat). A village in the mountains nearby. The village has beautiful nature around and boasts a very rich history and was once a capital of Elisu Sultanate. Interesting places to visit: Sumuq qala tower, an 5 old mosque (Cümə məscidi) built in the 18th century, the Shamil tower, and the highest in Caucasus (~30 m high) 6 Ram-rama waterfall, at the end of the village, a 30-60 min climb up from the carpark. The waterfall can be quite spectacular in end of March til mid-April, when there is still a dome of ice, standing and getting hollowed by the falling water. But one should be careful.
- 1 Local restaurant (100 m west of the central roundabout, on the northern side of the road). A nice local restaurant with some local delicacies. meal 2-5 manat, beer 1 manat.
- Sozvezdie Miqidana Kafe (on the road to Ilisu). Georgian cuisine. 3-9 manat.
- Sangar Qala Restaurant, Ilisu village. Best traditional cuisine served in a restaurant built French château style.
- 1 El Resort Hotel, Heydar Aliyev Avenue, Qax, ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. From 128 manat.
- Qum – Another tiny and scenic village just nearby.
- Zaqatala – Larger and more busy than Qax, and the gateway to Georgia.
- Sheki – A beautiful city in the forested Caucasian Mountains with lots to see and do.
- At least three marshrutkas a day leave from Qax to Tbilisi, Georgia.