Jump to navigation Jump to search
Qax is a admistrative center of Qax Rayon of Azerbaijan. It located at the foot of the southern slope of the Greater Caucasus, on the river Kurhumchai.
- 1 Qax Rayon Avtovağzalı (Qax Rayon Central Bus Terminal), Heydar Aliyev Ave. Central bus terminal of Qax services buses from/to populated places of Qax Rayon, towns of Region of country, Baku, Barda, Ganja, and also to bordering Georgia: Tbilisi and Telavi. Minibuses to Tbilisi (8 manat) leave at 08:30, 10:30 and 13:30 – the opposite direction should be similar.
- Highway: R16
Qax is a tiny town and can easily be explored on foot.
- 1 İçəri bazar (Icheri Bazar, or Inner Market). Old quarter, founded at the beginning of the 18th century. At the beginning of the 19th century Russian troops restored the surrounding walls. Quarter consists of a dozen of tiled houses and fortress walls.
- 2 Complex of Historical Museum and Caucasian Orthodox Church, Uzeyir Hajibeyov str., 1. The exposition of Gakh History Museum introduces its visitors to the diverse nature of the region and its historical past, from ancient times to the 20th century. The museum has interesting archaeological, ethnographic, culturological and other collections. Here you can see bronze and ceramic items, tools, weapons, samples of national costumes, etc. Graveyard of the church still exists.
- 3 Müqəddəs Georgi Kilsəsi (Church of St George). Georgian Orthodox Church
- 1 Mount Ulubash (Ulubaş Dağı). At a height of 1,900 m enjoy spectacular views from this close-by mountain over Qax and its rayon.
- 2 Saribash (Sarıbaş). A village in the middle of the mountains surrounded by snowy summits, cold rivers and 4 waterfalls. Is super for a picnic, and the local population is hospitable to guests. The way to Saribash is very interesting, and the leads through the Bulanıqsu stream, which is very difficult and requires 4WD to cross.
- 3 İlisu (waterfall). Another village in the mountains nearby, but easier reached than Saribash. At the end of the village the waterfall can be found, a 30 min climb up from the carpark. The waterfall can be quite spectacular in April, when there is still a dome of ice standing and getting hollowed by the falling water.
They built modern apartment and a hotel building right below the waterfall, which might already be available for booking.
- 1 Local restaurant (100 m west of the central roundabout, on the northern side of the road). A nice local restaurant with some local delicacies. meal 2-5 manat, beer 1 manat.
- Sozvezdie Miqidana Kafe (on the road to Ilisu). Georgian cuisine. 3-9 manat.
- Sangar Qala Restaurant, Ilisu village. Best traditional cuisine served in a restaurant built French château style.
- 1 El Resort Hotel, Heydar Aliyev Avenue, Qax, ☎ , , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. From 128 manat.
- Qum – Another tiny and scenic village just nearby.
- Zaqatala – Larger and more busy than Qax, and the gateway to Georgia.
- Sheki – A beautiful city in the forested Caucasian Mountains with lots to see and do.
- At least three minibuses a day leave from Qax to Tbilisi, Georgia.