Qionghai (琼海 Heng-Hai in Hainanese, Qiónghǎi in Mandarin) is a county-level city on the banks of the Wanquan River in the eastern part of Hainan.
Like many other county-level cities in China, Qionghai contains many towns that are physically separate from each other. The largest town is Jiaji (嘉积), which is also Qionghai's administrative capital. Like Wenchang, Qionghai is also the ancestral hometown of many overseas Hainanese in Southeast Asia. Another important town is Bo'ao (博鳌), which is covered in a separate article.
Hainanese is the main local language in Qionghai. The dialect of Hainanese spoken here differs slightly from the prestige dialect of Wenchang, but nevertheless, speakers of both varieties can communicate without any major issues.
As with anywhere else in China, most non-elderly locals are able to speak Mandarin as well. English is virtually non-existent.
- 1 Qionghai Bo'ao Airport (BAR IATA 博鳌机场, 琼海博鳌机场), Zhongyuan Town (中原镇) (The airport has two special bus services - nos. 1 and 2. Bus no. 1 stops at the Qionghai City Government and the Qionghai Railway Station. Bus no. 2 stops at Bo'ao and Tanmen. The fare for bus no. 1 is ¥15 and the fare for bus no. 2 is ¥20. Bus services are timed according to flight schedules. Taxis are also available), ☏ +86 898 36860114.
- 2 Qionghai Railway Station (琼海站), Aihua East Road, Jiaji Town (嘉积镇爱华东路) (Bus nos. 6 and 7 will take you to the downtown area).
- 3 Qionghai Bus Station (琼海汽车站), 51 Dongfeng Road, Jiaji Town (嘉积镇东风路51号) (about 240 meters north of the Red Detachment of Women statue), ☏ +86 898 62822327. This bus station is fairly new, having officially opened on 8 November 2019. The old bus station on Yinhai Road (which still appears on most maps) is now permanently closed.
- 1 Baishi Ridge Scenic Area (白石岭风景区, White Stone Ridge Scenic Area), Jiaji Town (嘉积镇) (Public transport in the area is not very convenient (you would need to catch at least two buses and the one that actually stops at the site is rather infrequent), so it's probably best to hire a taxi), ☏ +86 898 62802186. 08:30-17:30 (the ticket office closes at 16:30). Baishi Ridge, which stands 326 metres above sea level, is the highest land formation in Qionghai. There is an old Buddhist temple near the summit. Entry fee: ¥30 (off-peak season), ¥36 (peak season). Cable car ticket: ¥45.
- 2 Coconut Village Battle Site (椰子寨战斗遗址), Intersection of Bashiling Avenue and County Highway 356, Jiaji Town (嘉积镇白石岭大道与356县道交叉) (bus no. 21). This was the site of the Battle of Coconut Village (1927), the first battle of the Chinese Civil War to take place on Hainan Island. There is a monument and a small museum at the site.
- 3 Duohe Culture Valley (多河文化谷), Yonggan Village, Xinghai Road, Jiaji Town (嘉积镇兴海南路勇敢村) (about 1½ km from the Qionghai Railway Station), ☏ +86 898 62821784. 08:00-17:00. A cultural park that aims to educate visitors about the history and culture of the Wanquan River region. There are statues of famous figures such as Madam Xian, a famous 6th century female military leader from Guangdong who is credited with bringing an end to the uprisings that had plagued the island since it became part of the Chinese empire. There is also a small Buddhist temple and a folk museum about the daily lives of local farmers and residents. ¥15.
- 4 Red Detachment of Women Memorial Park (红色娘子军纪念园), Jiaji Town (嘉积镇) (bus no. 1 or 21), ☏ +86 898 62802176. 08:00-17:30. Dedicated of course to the famous Red Detachment of Women, a Red Army affiliated detachment of female soldiers who fought the Nationalists during the Chinese Civil War. There is a small museum in the middle of the park, though as of November 2019, the museum is closed for repairs. Other sights in the park include a mural and an assortment of disused military equipment. Free.
- 5 Red Detachment of Women statue (红色娘子军雕像), 73 Dongfeng Road, Jiaji Town (嘉积镇东风路73号) (the bus stop near the statue is served by over a dozen bus routes, making this an ideal spot to change buses if you're on your way to somewhere else in the city). A statue representing a member of the Red Detachment of Women. The statue may not be particularly impressive (there's a bigger one at the memorial park). Nonetheless its probably the most recognizable landmark in downtown Qionghai.
Qionghai is known for a dish known as Jiaji duck (嘉积鸭 Jiājī yā), one of the four famous dishes of Hainanese cuisine.
- 1 Hampton by Hilton Qionghai Railway Station (希尔顿欢朋酒店琼海高铁站店), No. 70-1 Xinghai South Road, Jiaji Town (嘉积镇兴海南路70-1号) (about 1½ kilometers south of Qionghai Railway Station), ☏ +86 898 62777888. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. A four-star hotel near the Qionghai Railway Station. Room rates start from about ¥330 per night.
- 2 Holiday Inn Resort Qionghai Guantang (琼海官塘假日度假酒店), Baishiling Avenue, Jiaji Town (嘉积镇白石岭大道) (800 meters north of the entrance to the Baishi Ridge Scenic Area; the nearest bus stop is 2 km away at Coconut Village), ☏ +86 898 36869999, firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. A four-star hot springs resort near the Baishi Ridge Scenic Area. Room rates start from about ¥680 per night.
- 3 Vienna Hotel Qionghai Yinhai Road (维也纳酒店琼海嘉积银海路店), 183 Yinhai Road (嘉积镇银海路183号) (bus no. 8 stops near the hotel - get off at the Xinfeng Hotel (鑫丰酒店) bus stop), ☏ +86 898 62790006. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. A three-star hotel. Room rates start from about ¥290 per night.