- See Khumbu for the Nepalese side of the mountain.
Qomolangma (Chomolangma/Chomolungma) is the Tibetan name for Mount Everest and translates to "Goddess Mother of Snows". It's the world's highest peak at 8,848m. The border between Nepal and China passes through the peak of Mt. Qomolangma.
- First climbed by Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay in 1952.
Flora and fauna
The best season to visit is May to October, but the peak is often covered in clouds from July to August. Snow can be found on the Tingri Route around October.
The Everest Base Camp (EBC), elevation 5200 meters, is about 800 kilometers (500 miles) southwest of Lhasa. Due to the distance and the high elevation of EBC, it takes a few days to drive from Lhasa. There are two main trekking routes and an access road for Land Cruisers (which can be arranged in Lhasa or Shigatse).
- Peruche Route - Shelkar - Checkpoint on Friendship Hwy - 200 m after 5145 km Marker on Friendship Hwy - Chay Village - Pang La Pass - Peruche Village - Paksum village - Choesang Village - Rongbuk Monastery - Jomolangma (Everest) Base Camp (this route mainly follows the roadway to Base Camp from the Friendship Hwy)
- Tingri Route - Tingri - Lungjang Village - Lamma La Pass - Zommug Village - Rongbuk Monastery - Jomolangma (Everest) Base Camp (recommend a guide for this trek)
Permits cost ¥65 per person and ¥405 per vehicle and can be purchased at Shelkar, Tingri or Chay Village.
- Rongbuk Monastery (Dzarongpu Gompa) - located at the foot of the glaciers on north face of Mt Jomolangma, highest monastery in the world.
- Jomolangma (Everest) Base Camp - start location for climbers up the north side of Mt. Jomolangma.
Food is available at Benba Guesthouse in Tashidzom and the Snowman Hotel in Pasum.
Staying at private houses is the most common practice. At Rongbuk Monastery, lodging is available but bring your own food.
Lodging in tents is available at Jomolangma (Everest) Base Camp. Picking a good tent can sometimes be an issue. There is no problem when there is no snowfall. Some tents are not maintained well and get leaks when the snow melts.