From San José, buses are taken from Tracopa Bus station downtown San Jose. Ride prices are US$8, and the trip takes between 3.5-4.5 hr, depending on the bus you take.
By private shuttle
You can hire a tourist-oriented private van or bus, which usually carries between 7-30 people, depending on the size and presence of air conditioning. Expect to pay up to US$40 per person.
- 1 Quepos La Managua Airport (XQP IATA). You can take a plane, which is a 40-min flight. Cost is around US$90 one way with Sansa Airlines. Quepos airport is a US$20 cab ride into town or Manuel Antonio Park. You will need to pay a US$3/person airport entry/exit fee when using the Quepos airport. No free Wi-Fi.
Local bus leaves every 30 mins during the day between Manuel Antonio and Quepos. Costs ₡345 and the bus driver and can provide change but may not accept dollars.
Also, renting scooters is an option or renting a taxi.
Instead of staying somewhere along to road to Manuel Antonio National Park, where there is not much infrastructure, it is best to stay in Quepos, which has all the necessary amenities.
- Quepos Fish Adventure com (Leaving out of the Quepos Dock), ☏ . daily. Go catch a Pacific Sailfish or Marlin. Tours available everyday and you can rent the whole boat or split trips with others. American Captain, top of the line gear. BBQ pit.
- H2O Adventures (25 m east of the Catholic Church in Quepos), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sailfish Quepos, on the beach, ☏ . daily. Nice charter company with excellent service fishing in one of the top five fisheries in the world. from ₡600.
- Oceans Unlimited (On the road leaving Quepos heading towards Manuel Antonio), ☏ . PADI Gold Palm Dive center offering snorkeling and Scuba diving trips. Local and offshore trips available.
- Dominical Surf Adventures, Dominical, Costa Rica (in front of Catholic Church), ☏ . 08:00-17:00. Exclusive tours in the area of Quepos and Dominical. They offer pick up from Quepos and take their customers to very uncrowded and pristine places near the area: rafting, surfing and kayaking in the ocean and mangroves.
If you find the bus station, wander in the market attached and find a place that says "Cevichera." This place sells "ceviche," a typical local dish consisting of raw, diced fish in a lime juice broth. It's cheap and tastes delicious.
- 1 Zamir Pizza. The best option in town regarding price and value. Here you will get full for under US$5. Several and common varieties of delicious pizza. Take away and enjoy at the promenade with a cold beer. ₡1,200-1,500 for a large slice of pizza.
- Aqua Azul, Great mix of typical and American plates. Good prices and chilled atmosphere. Amazing views at sunset.
- La Cantina, Great kabobs and steaks done over an open grill.
- Sunspot Bar & Grill, After Quepos on Main Road to Manuel Antonio Park (Turn right at Cafe Milagro and follow signs), ☏ . 11:00-22:00. Sunspot Bar & Grill offers international and local specialities prepared on the grill. Adults only. Fabulous sunset views. US$5 & up.
- El Mirador Restaurant, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Fusion cuisine. Guest chef series with chefs from around the world. Within walking distance of Manuel Antonio. Ocean view. Located next to a pool. Serving breakfast and dinner. US$12-30. '
- Soda Sanchez is a great place to eat breakfast. It's across from the Widemouth Frog Backpacker's Hostel. Cheap prices, friendly people. Also serving lunch and dinner.
- El Gran Escape serves up some wonderful dishes, but prices rise steeply.
- Escalofrio, Downtown Quepos. Wonderful brick oven pizzas and homemade gelatos makes this great night spot.
Some bars have ladies nights and drink specials.
- Barba Roja has ladies night on Saturdays.
- Wacky Wanda's has cold drinks and air conditioning.
- Pescadores bar has cold drinks and an open atmosphere. Five TV's and nearly every NFL game.
- Dos Locos is very popular downtown and may have live music, but not always great music.
- Sargento Garcia's is usually jumpin' and is a tourist favorite.
- Billfish Sportsbar & Grill (Byblos Sportsbar), Main Road to Manuel Antonio Park (3 km from Quepos on left), ☏ . 18:00-24:00. Billfish Sportsbar & Grill is a place for watching international sports on their large screen TVs. It offers the usual sportsbar fare, and dinner specialties off the grill. Located next to the Byblos Casino. Monday night is Ladies' Night. $3 & up.
- [dead link] Bambu Jam (Klaus Thalau), Carreterra Ma-Antonno, ☏ . 07:00 till late. International cuisine, moderate price. There will be live music Tu and F (no charge).
- Cabinas Mary. Safe place to stay with included parking. Friendly family watches these cabins and someone is always awake even very late at night. About US$10 per person per night. Near the soccer field, ask around to get directions.
- Cabinas Pedro Miguel, located on the road leading to the M/A beach and park. Small efficient rooms, free breakfast, private bath, A/C, or eco-friendly (screen walls overlooking tropical jungle). Rooms start at US$25 depending on season and type desired.
- Villas Jacquelina. Eco-friendly specialty lodging with private rooms with both private and shared bathrooms. Large rooms with ceiling fan or A/C, rooftop patios, swimming pool, full guest kitchen, family ran, westernized hot water showers, free morning shuttle to town. Rates starting at US$17.50 per person. Private rooms starting at $35.
- Wide Mouth Frog Hostel Pool, shared bathrooms with cold water only, kitchen, locked gate. In 2014, the nightly rate for a bunk in a non-private room was US$12. Private rooms were $35 for two people, $45 for three and very sparse, no private bathroom. 100 m east (away from the water) of the main bus terminal.
- Casa Mono Congo, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A four-bedroom, six-bath home with private pool on the hill between Quepos and Manuel Antonio with ocean views. It's powered by solar panels and wind generator.
- Hotel Casitas Eclipse. Between US$86 and $305 depending on season and room size.
- Hotel Costa Verde. Positioned right outside the national park. Between US$60 and $250 depending on season and room size.
- Hotel Del Mar, ☏ . 200 m from the beach. 12 clean, comfortable, and affordable rooms nestled discreetly in the jungle along the main road to the park. Gay friendly. Rooms range between US$45 to $110.
- Kamuk Best Western. Between US$75 and $105 depending on season and number of occupants. Near the oceanfront in Quepos.
- Villas El Parque. Between US$65 and $230 depending on season and room size for two people. Extra cost for extra people. Rates include breakfast.
- Villas Mymosa. From US$70 to $200 depending on room and season. Friendly staff, secure parking, comfortable rooms and great food. Breakfast included. Lat. 9.25.13 N, Lon. 84.09.31 W.
- Hotel La Colina. From US$70 to $120 depending on room and season. Friendly staff, secure parking, comfortable rooms and great food. Breakfast included. Very nice view also
- 1 Byblos Resort & Casino, Main Road to Manuel Antonio Park (3 km past Quepos on left), ☏ . Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. Offers all the modern amenities and comforts of a three-star boutique resort, all rooms at Byblos are spacious and offer ample views of the local wildlife, garden areas or Pacific Ocean. Accommodations feature air conditioning, telephones, cable TV, safe box, hair dryer, mini-refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker, and are designed with furniture of farm grown hardwoods by local craftsmen. Complimentary remote control gated parking and Wi-Fi is available. US$120/132 night (discounts in low season).
- Geminis del Pacifico, ✉ email@example.com. A four-bedroom, three-bath home with private pool with ocean view and a waterfall cascading in the house. It's located 1 mile from Manuel Antonio beach and 3 miles from the town of Quepos. US$360-500
- La Mansion. Luxury hotel with view the Manuel Antonio Beach, between US$125 and $1600 depending on season and room size. Minimum stay required during peak season.
- La Mariposa. Between US$120 and $430 depending on season and room size. It has 1 infinity edge swimming pools, and 2 wet bars. Ask for a room with a view of the ocean, some of the balacony rooms offer a 180-degree view. Breakfast, which is included, is a tico/German style buffet. Omelets are made to order.
- Si Como No. Between US$160 and $270 depending on season and room size. Rates include breakfast buffet.
- Tulemar Bungalows. Between US$270 and $389 for two people per night, depending on season. Breakfast is included, as are kayaks and snorkeling equipment.
- "Rafting" Trips down the Naranjo and Savegre river.
Buses to San José
Some bus drivers will ask if you are going to San José airport, if they see you have big luggage with you. Say no because they are asking this so they can call their taxi driver friend to pick you up at a stop before San José and drive you to the airport. Firstly, you cannot trust this friend of theirs is an official taxi driver and secondly, they will charge an amount a few times more than normal to cover the bus driver's share. If you are going to the airport, plan your trip ahead so you know exactly how to get from San José to the airport; don't leave it to chance.