Rüsselsheim is a city of 65,000 people (2018) in Hesse. It is known as a centre of the German automotive industry because of its manufacturing and research facilities. It is also known for its fortress, which dates from 1399.
Rüsselsheim is the location of one of Opel's automotive manufacturing sites, the former General Motors European design centre (now PSA), and the Hyundai Motor Europe Technical Centre.
Exits off the A67 and A60
Frankfurt Airport is only a few kilometres away.
Rüsselsheim is on the line between Mainz and Frankfurt.
- 1 Festung Rüsselsheim (Rüsselsheim Fortress), Hauptmann-Scheuermann-Weg 4.
- Stadt- und Industriemuseum Rüsselsheim (Town and industrial museum), Hauptmann-Scheuermann-Weg 4 (in the fort), ☏ . The museum, which was designated in 1980 with the Council of Europe's museum award as a "Model Museum", focuses in particular on the development of labour procedures and labour conditions from prehistory to the present.
- 2 Stiftung Opelvillen, Ludwig-Dörfler-Allee 9, ☏ . Art exhibitions.
- Opel. Car factory tour available by prior booking.
- The Rüsselsheim Theatre provides 865 seats in stalls and tiers. The theatre's programming consists of plays, concerts, operas, operettas, musicals, ballet, and dancing.
If you like Turkish food, then there are plenty of choices in and around Marktstraße.
- Roter Hahn, Hessenring 61, ☏ . Good steaks
- Shahi Indian, Ferdinand-Stuttmann-Straße 10, ☏ . Good Indian restaurant.
- Freeway, Lise-Meitner-Straße 6, ☏ . American restaurant.
- Kleines Rüsselsheimer Brauhaus, An der Wied 1 (Haßloch), ☏ . Good German beer and food.
- Achat Comfort Hotel, Eisenstraße 28, ☏ .
- Novum Select Hotel Rüsselsheim (formerly Columbia Hotel), Stahlstraße 2, ☏ .
- Best Western Hotel Rüsselsheim Frankfurt-Airport, Eisenstraße 6, ☏ .