Rajpura is a small city in Patiala district. Rajpura is basically divided into two parts: Old Rajpura and Rajpura Town which was formed by Maharaja of Patiala Riasat (King of the Patiala Kingdom) when he donated some land to rehabilitate a clan called Bhawalpuriaas which had migrated from Bhawalpur in Pakistan after the partition of India in 1947. The language of Rajpura is Saraiki.
Rajpura has a Qila (fort) which is believed to have been built by the Mughal Emperor Sher Shah Suri for his army. The town is located on the Sher Shah Suri Marg (road) built by him.