Rajshahi is the capital of Rajshahi Division in Bangladesh. The city is near many ancient capitals of Bengal, notably Lakhnoiti (or Lokhnaboti), and Pundra. Rajshahi is famous for trade in many exotic items, including pure silk, mangoes and lychees. Attractive silk products are cheaper in Rajshahi than anywhere else in the country, with the city often referred to as the 'silk city'. There are also a number ancient mosques, shrines and temples in and around Rajshahi.
Rajshahi is the capital of Rajshahi District and Division in northwestern Bangladesh. The Rajshahi municipality was established in 1876, one of the first in Bangladesh. It has a population of 1.6 million people (2022). One of the major rivers of the Indian subcontinent, the Padma, runs along the southern end of the city.
The city is home to many educational institutions, leading to a large student population and the nickname of "education city". The city of Rajshahi was declared as the happiest city in the world by the World Happiness Survey in 2006.
- 1 Shah Makhdum Airport (RJH IATA), Nowhata. It is the primary airport of the city. Several airlines have flights from Dhaka.
It takes approximately 5 hours by road to reach Rajshahi from the capital, Dhaka. A number of bus services are available from Dhaka via Natore, some with air-conditioning. Bus services to other major districts are also available from the bus terminal.
Bus services include Hanif Enterprise, National Travels, Shamoli Paribahan, Desh Travels, Grameen Travels. Bus fare: non-AC Tk 710, AC Tk 1400.
There are a number of luxurious intercity services between Dhaka and Rajshahi each day. The main ones are the Padma Express, the Silk City Express and the Dhumketue Express.
- Silk City Express - Dhaka to Rajshahi at 2:40PM and from Rajshahi to Dhaka at 7:35AM.
- Padma Express - Dhaka to Rajshahi at 10:45PM and from Rajshahi to Dhaka at 4PM.
- Dhumketue Express - departs Dhaka at 6AM, reaching Rajshahi at noon, and departs Rajshahi at 11:20PM, reaching Dhaka at 4:50AM.
The Silk City Express does not operate Sundays, the Padma Express has no service on Tuesdays, and the Dhumketue Express does not run Mondays.
The major station for long-distance trains is 2 Rajshahi Railway Station, located north of the city centre.
The journey from Dhaka is 261 km, taking approximately 5 hours, depending on traffic. You must cross the famous Jamuna Bridge to reach the city.
Local transport in Rajshahi city primarily relies on auto-rickshaws, which are affordable and readily available throughout the city. They serve as a convenient mode of transportation, with reasonable fares. Additionally, tempos, small buses operating on fixed routes, offer another option for getting around the city. Buses are less common and often overcrowded but can be useful for longer journeys. Private car and taxi services are available but tend to be more expensive.
Rajshahi boasts relatively well-maintained and extensive sidewalks compared to many other cities in Bangladesh. Most of its roads feature adequate footpaths, though they may be narrower in comparison.
- Banks of the Padma. A lovely sight of one of the largest rivers in South Asia. During the Monsoon season, the water level rises, along with its beauty.
- 1 Varendra Research Museum. Established in 1910, the museum is dedicated to ancient history and culture. It is recognised as the oldest museum in the country. It has a rich collection of artefacts, relating to Hindu, Buddhist and Muslim heritage. Some of these date back to the 16th century. It is maintained by the University, located in the heart of town. Free.
- Shrine of Hazrat Shah Makhdum(Rh.). A Majar (shrine) was established to mark the resting place of Hazrat Shah Makhdum in 1635 CE. He was the first preacher of Islam in the region. Legend has it that he arrived by riding down the Padma on 2 crocodiles. To preserve this myth, some crocodiles are kept in the pond next to the shrine.
- 2 Central Park and Zoo. The park is a wide area with lush green trees and grass. The zoo houses a variety of different animal species. It is located by the bank of river Padma.
- Shahid Zia Park. An amusement park for pleasure. It has mono rail, bumping cars and many other exciting things for amusement. It is under the Rajshahi City Corporation.
- 3 Boro Kuthi (next to Padma Botanic Garden). Historic preserved Dutch building on Padma River waterfront.
- 4 Rajshahi University (University of Rajshahi). You must see this well-planned beautiful green campus before leaving Rajshahi. It is within a few kilometres from the city centre and easily accessible.
- Ghoramara. The oldest part of Rajshahi City, consisting most of oldest (70-100 year old) buildings.
- Kashia-Danga (west side of Rajshahi). From this area massive mango tree garden area of Rajshahi starts. Anyone can have a glimpse of famous mango tree of Rajshahi from this area. The area is at the west part of the city, near to Rajshahi court railway station.
- Santal Para. In the Mahish-Bathan Area. Some santal tribes people lives here. Anyone can have a look to their tribal life.
- Rajshahi Silk Fabrication (3.5 km from the center of the city.). Rajshahi silk is the name given to the silk products produced in Rajshahi. It is famous because it is a high quality fabric used for clothing, especially for saris. Along with factories, merchandise outlets are also available there.
For more detail, see Rajshahi District article.
- Bagha Mosque. A historical mosque situated in Bagha of Rajshahi. There is a picture of this mosque in one side of Tk 50 note.
- Puthia Palace. Situated a little far away from the city. Its an ancient palace which attracts all to visit.
The Padma River is a major river in Bangladesh and a popular spot for boating. You can take a boat ride on the river and enjoy the scenic views of the surrounding countryside. The best time to go boating is during the dry season, from November to April. Be sure to wear comfortable clothing and shoes that you don't mind getting wet. If you are taking a boat ride on the Padma River, be sure to bargain for a good price.
Look for both traditional and western style clothes at Rajshahi stores.
- 1 Shaheb Bazaar. A raucous street scene of commerce.
- 2 RDA Market. On the south side of Shaheb Bazaar, this is the largest market in Rajshahi, full of vendors selling clothes, food, cosmetics, etc.
- 3 New Market. A bit more shopping mall-like, but another large market with both hawkers and higher-end vendors.
Some nice restaurants and fast food places are available in the city.
- Nanking Chinese Restaurant, Monibazar.
- Party Point, Shalbagan, ☏ .
- Warisan Chinese Restaurant and Catering, Shaheb Bazar.
- Chili's Chinese Restaurant, Shaheb Bazar.
- 1 Royal Raj Hotel & Condominium (রয়েল রাজ হোটেল এন্ড কন্ডোমিনিয়াম), 26/27 Ganakapara (Rani Bazar Mor), ☏ , email@example.com.
- 2 Grand River View Hotel (গ্র্যান্ড রিভার ভিউ হোটেল), Kajihata, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Pool, gym, laundry service, beauty services, restaurant, cineplex.
- 3 Chez Razzak Suites (চেজ রাজ্জাক সার্ভিস), Road#02, Padma Housing Estate, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Two-star business class guest house suites in beautiful residential area at Rajshahi hub.
- 4 Rajshahi Parjatan Motel (পর্যটন মোটেল, বাংলাদেশ পর্যটন কর্পোরেশন), Abdul Majid Road, Rajpara, ☏ , , , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: noon, check-out: noon. Facilities include a complementary breakfast, Wifi zone, restaurant, laundry service, room service, ISD/NWD telephone, hot and cold water supply, all rooms with TV with satellite/telephone private balcony, outside catering service, free car parking, first aid, and safe deposit box in reception.
- 5 Hotel Nice International (হোটেল নাইস ইন্টারন্যাশনাল), Shaheb Bazar, ☏ , email@example.com.
- 6 Hotel Mukta International, Batar Mor, Ganakpara, Shaheb Bazar, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Tk 1200.
- 7 Hotel Century, Luxmipur, ☏ . This is one of the nice hotels in Rajshahi. Price is cheap here with air-conditioned rooms and parking.
- 8 Jatra Flagship Rajshahi City Center (যাত্রা ফ্লাগশিপ রাজশাহী সিটি সেন্টার), Padma Residential Area, ☏ , email@example.com.
- Natore District - Borders the district in the east, just beside Rajshahi City.
- Chapai Nawabganj District - Borders the district to the north-west.
- India: You can move towards Chapai Nawabganj and then towards India. Permission must be obtained for legal border crossing.