Rangpur (Bengali: রংপুর Raṃpur) is one of the major cities in Bangladesh and Rangpur Division. It is in the north western part of Bangladesh. The city is the commercial hub for the surrounding districts.
The city centre has a number of government and private banks, insurance companies, residential hotels, Chinese and Indian restaurants, fast food, sweet shops, gift shop and many more. It is one of the most important economic zones in Bangladesh, because of its global positioning. Begum Rokeya University is situated in the southern part of the city. In 2017, there were 800,000 people living in the city, and 10 million living in the metro area.
Rangpur town lies on the bank of the Ghaghat river. In the great Rangpur region, little economic development took place until the 1990s, mainly because of the yearly flooding the region used to see before the building of the Teesta Barrage. Coal is found near this district. There is a large military cantonment in the town, along with a Ghagot park (under military surveillance), in addition to a Carmichael College in town.
Rangpur was conquered by the army of Raja Man Singh, a commander of the Mughal emperor, Akbar, in 1575, but it was not until 1686 that it was fully integrated into the Mughal Empire. Names of places like Mughalbasa (literal meaning being a locality of the Mughals), and Mughalhat (literal meaning a "local market" organised by the Mughals) bear testimony to the Mughal Association and past of Rangpur and its hinterland. Later on, Rangpur passed under the control of Sarker of Ghoraghat. During the period of the British East India Company, the Sannyasi Rebellion took place. Rangapur Ghoraghat has been mentioned in the Riyaz-us-Salatin. During the early period of the company rule fakir-sannyasi resistance and peasant rebellion were held in Rangpur.
Rangpur was declared a district headquarters on 16 December 1769, and established as a municipality in 1869, making it one of the oldest municipalities in Bangladesh.
The temperature ranges from 32 °C to 11 °C, and the annual rainfall averages 2931 mm. Rangpur has a humid subtropical climate.The climate of Rangpur is generally marked with monsoons, high temperature, considerable humidity and heavy rainfall. The hot season commences early in April and continues till July.
The closest airport is in Saidpur, 42 km (26 mi) west of Rangpur city.
A drive from Dhaka via the Rangpur Highway takes around 7.5 hours in average traffic.
* 1 Tajhat Palace, Tajhat Rd (3 km south–east of the town), ☏ . A white palace surrounded by a lush garden. It is a former zamindar's palace. After the end of the British Raj, the building was abandoned and decayed rapidly. In 2004, it was largely restored and turned into a museum which hosts a collection of Blackstone Hindu carvings, calligraphic art from the Mughal period, other objets d'art, and coins. Probably this place was built by Maharaja Kumar Gopal Lal Ray in the beginning of the 20th century. The palace was used as a Rangpur High Court branch of the Bangladesh Supreme Court in 1995. Tk20.
- Carmichael College. One of the old colleges in Bangladesh established in 1916. The main attraction of this college is its administrative building (which houses the Bangla department). The building was designed with an Indo-Saracenic Revival architecture.
- Town Hall There is an ancient auditorium named 'Town Hall' at the center of the city, where different cultural programs are held.
- Jadu Nibash in Radhaballav next to the Rangpur Government College. Home of Late Mashiur Rahman Jadu Mia. It is an ancient house, about a hundred years old. The house was probably built and owned by Raja Gopal Lal Rai Bahadur at the same time that the Rangpur District Council, Rangpur Town Hall and the famous Tajhat Palace buildings were built.
- Rangpur Central Zoo is one of the main amusement and recreation spots of Rangpur city. 20 acres of lush green trees and grasses on the east side of Hanuman-tola road beside police-line, not far from Rangpur District Administration office. The zoo has many wild animals, including the Bengal tiger, African lion, Leopard, Asiatic black bear, Hippopotamus, Peacocks, crocodiles, Turtles, Spotted Deer, and different kinds of birds, and snakes.
- Vinno Jogot (meaning Different World) is an amusement park, which is about 12 km from Rangpur city. Thousands of people come every day for refreshment with a green environment. A vast lake surrounded across the park. THere is a Shisu park, various rides, and a mural of world's seven wonders.
- Kellaband Mosque at C.O. Bazar on the north of Rangpur-Dinajpur Highway 2 km north-west of Rangpur town. This three-dome mosque is about 200 years old. A concrete well and an ancient cemetery are lying beside the mosque.
- Pirgachha Landlord House, popularly known as the Manthana Palace or Manthana Rajbari, is a massive structure spread over hundreds of acres of land and houses ponds, lakes, buildings, temples, and various other assets. Princess Kabita Rani Roy Choudhury is the present legal owner of the entire kingdom-estate. The Kachari House of the Manthana Palace is now used as Pirgasha Registrar Office.
- Devi Chaudhuranir Jamindar Bari The palace was rebuilt several times and is a sprawling structure spread over several hundreds of acres.
- Itakumari Jamindar Bari Landlord house established in the 19th century. Now most of the buildings are ruined.
- Deowan Bari Jamindaar Bari built by Fonivuson Mojumdar. This landlord house is a small 2 storied building. but the main gate of the house is like a Mughal Castle – gate. Now there is a school and some business centres. It is on Deowan Bari road in Rangpur near the town.
- Pirgachha is one of the Upazilas in Rangpur that carries some interesting aspects. The name is derived from some unknown "pir" (religious guru), buried under a tree ("gach"). In other words, there was this tomb of a "pir" under a big tree in Pirgachha. Pirgachha has a Rajbari, home of the Jomider (landlords, appointed by the King at that times). This historic residence is now almost ruined. Also, there is a miniature prayer place such as a mosque (for Muslim) and a Temple (for Hindu) built together. It shows a friendly Hindu-Muslim communities.
- 1 Caspia the Home, Cantonment Rd (in front of Circuit House), ☏ . A Bangladeshi twist on Chinese and Thai food.
- Dinajpur is about 2 hours away