Ratnapura is the capital city of Sabaragamuwa Province, located on the Kalu Ganga (Black River) in south-central Sri Lanka, some 101 km southeast of the country's capital, Colombo. It means City of Gems.
- Adam's Peak. 2243-metre mountain located 28 km away
- Kitulgala. Nearby village on the Kelani River where The Bridge on the River Kwai was filmed.
- Sinharaja Forest Reserve. A national park and a biodiversity hotspot which has been designated a Biosphere Reserve and World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
- Udawalawe National Park.
- Bopath Ella (turn left at Higgassena close to Kuruwita from the main Colombo - Ratnapura road go about 2 km). A pair of waterfalls which attract visitors from all over the country. You are allowed to bathe in this waterfall, but be warned that flash floods may appear in a matter of minutes.
- Katugas Ella, Mahawalawatta (3 km from town). A popular water fall among locals.
- Kirindi Ella, Pelmadulla Main road - Pelmadulla (4 km away from Ratnapura). The seventh highest waterfall in Sri Lanka.
- Rajanawa (next to Ratnapura Kalawana main road in Marapana village). This beautiful seenary been captured in few famous Sinhala films.
- Visit some of the showrooms where you can purchase local gems
- Arrange a visit to some gem mines through some of the local guesthouses
- Visit local gem market most mornings except "poya" days in Newitigala (40 minutes drive away) up to 15:00.
- Take some Gem course in Ratna Gem Halt 
Local specialties include a type of palm candy.
- Newitigala, 40 minute drive away
- http://www.ratnapura-online.com/3.html [dead link]