Rautalampi is a vibrant municipality with about 3 500 inhabitans. In the summer there is a significant increase in the population as people come to their summer cottages. Rautalampi's vast forest and numerous lakes make it a very beautiful area. The whole municipality can be travelled around by water and also the town center is surrounded by lakes.
Rautalampi has a rich cultural history; many authors, musicians and artists, such as the Finlandia Prize awarded author Kari Hotakainen, have their roots in Rautalampi.
- Tourist Information, Kuopiontie 13, ☏ .
The nearest railway station is Suonenjoki about 20 km east of Rautalampi. There is a bus connection available from there.
National road 9 between Jyväskylä and Kuopio passes near the town.
Public transportation is only available on the main roads. To get around and see something else than the main village, a car or bike is strongly recommended.
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi
- 1 Rautalampi Lutheran Church, Kirkkotie 4. The church of Rautalampi is one of the biggest wooden churches in northern Europe. It was designed by C.A. Engel, who also designed the cathedral and many other buildings in Helsinki.
- 2 Rautalampi Museum, Kuopiontie 26. The Rautalampi Museum hosts an extraordinarily wide collection – over 50,000 objects and recordings – giving a good overview of local history. There are also changing exhibitions.
- 3 Orthodox Church, Nikolaoksentie 1. After World War II, a lot of Karelian evacuees have treasured the Orthodox tradition in Rautalampi. The church building, sacralized to honour Saint Nicholas the Worker, is near the library.
- Mansions. There are expectionally many old mansions in Rautalampi. Most of them are now privately owned, but you can find a restaurant on reservation in both the Ropola Mansion and the Korhola Mansion. Korhola also offers B & B.
- Liimattanharju Esker. Road number 543 winds from the town center of Rautalampi all the way to Kerkonkoski. This beautiful scenic route runs between four lakes on Liimattalanharju esker.
- 1 Riding school, Palolahdentie 25, ☏ . Rautalampi has a riding high-school, the only one in Finland.
- 2 The library, Rautalammintie 4. Rautalampi Library serves tourists and local residents. Besides normal library services there are WiFi and computers with free internet connection available. A local speciality is the Finnskog collection of Forest Finns (the king had Finns from the Finnish forests move across the Gulf of Bothnia to put those forests to use).
- 3 Sahala Health Manor (Elämysten ja Ystävyyden kartano), Sahalantie 41, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4 Kalakuja Beach, Kalakuja 10.
- Runon ja laulun Rautalampi. Culture event in June.
- Pestuumarkkinat. Pestuumarkkinat market fair is Rautalampi's biggest annual event. It is held during second weekend of September.
- 1 Artteli, Kuopiontie 28. Artteli, in the village center, sells all sorts of handicrafts.
- [dead link] Myllyni Makasiini, Kuopiontie 46.
- Pestarin Valinta, Kuopiontie 17, ☏ .
- 2 Kelloliike T.F.Hemming, Kuopiontie 24, ☏ .
- 3 Rautalammin Apteekki, Torikuja 4, ☏ .
- 1 Ravintola Nuapuri, Kuopiontie 21, ☏ .
- 2 Ravintola Hetki, Alatie 8, ☏ .
- 3 Törmälän Loma- ja kurssikeskus, Konnekoskentie 552, ☏ . Holiday and course center.
During the summer only
- Kesä-Aurora, Kuopiontie 17, ☏ .
- Kivisalmen Kievari, Rautalammintie 1935 (in Konnevesi).
- Nokisen Kipsa (in Nokisenkoski, Vaajasalmi), ☏ .
- Kerkonkosken Lohikeidas, Repolantie 11 (in Kerkonjoensuu), ☏ .
Bars and nightclubs
There are at least three pubs in Rautalampi.
There is a youth hostel in Rautalampi and a camping site. Also available are a few mansions.
- 1 Hostel Korholan Kartano B&B, Korholantie 111, ☏ .
- 2 Majatalo Rautalampi, Toholahdentie 34, ☏ .
- 3 Kurkiniemen tila, Kurkiniementie 100, ☏ .
- 4 Mannisen lomamökit, Levälammintie 73, ☏ .
- Törmälän Loma- ja kurssikeskus, ☏ .
- Janoinen Karhu, ☏ .
- Hanhiniemen Lomamökit, ☏ .
- Kuopio – the region's biggest city
- Pieksämäki – major train junction in South Savonia, with a railway museum
- Varkaus – closest town to the Linnansaari National Park in an archipelago of Saimaa
- Jyväskylä – the main city of Central Finland
- Suonenjoki – the strawberry capital of Finland
|Routes through Rautalampi|
|Jyväskylä ← Hankasalmi ←||SW E||→ Suonenjoki → Kuopio|