Jump to navigation Jump to search
Rautjärvi is in South Karelia, in Southern Finland.
The rural municipality consists of several villages, of which the largest village, Simpele, serves as the administrative center of the municipality.
Trains between Helsinki and Joensuu stop at 1 Simpele railway station. Buses between Imatra and Savonlinna stop at Rautjärvi. Onnibus.com service between Helsinki and Joensuu stops at Teboil Simpele. For timetables of ordinary coaches, see Matkahuolto.
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku
- 1 Hiitolanjoki Scenic Trail (Hiitolanjoen maisemapolku), Ritakoskentie 19. The old power plants with rapids (Ritakoski, Lahnanen and Kangaskoski) and the scenic path along the river (approx. 2 km) are worth seeing and experiencing.
- 2 Kollaa and Simo Häyhä Museum (Kollaa ja Simo Häyhä -museo), Kuntalanraitti 32 (in Miettilä), ☏ +358 45 2085 845, firstname.lastname@example.org. Museum’s focus is battles of Kollaa front during the Winter War and to the men of Rautjärvi in those battles. The permanent special exhibition is dedicated to the deadliest sniper in history, Simo Häyhä (1905–2002), who was also known as the "White Death".
- 3 Devil's Church (Pirunkirkko) (in Torsansalo, about 10 km from Simpele). The castle mountain, known as a historical landmark, where a large cave called the "devil's church" is located. According to history, the cave was used as a shelter during the Great Wrath (1714–1721).
- 1 KonkaSki, Konkalammentie 50. Konka Ski is a small ski resort in Simpele. The ski resort has three slopes and two pole lifts as well as a half pipe.
- 1 Pub Kahvila Aseman Kello, Rautjärventie 100.
- 1 Huoneistohotelli Simmes, Ilmarinkatu 2. €58.