Travelling from Delhi, Roorkee is approximately 170 km north. Take the highway NH-58 (Delhi - Haridwar - Sri Badrinath Ji), and it passes through Roorkee. The city of Haridwar is further along the same highway about 29 km from Roorkee. In addition, the Panchkula (Chandigarh) - Yamunanagar - Roorkee NH-73 also serves an important route while coming from Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, or Jammu & Kashmir.
The main bus depot of Roorkee is on NH-58. Several buses run from various cities in North India (includes the cities from Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, New Delhi, J & K and Punjab).
Nearest airport to Roorkee is Dehradun's Jolly Grant airport which has Air India services from Delhi. New Delhi International Airport is about 200 km away.
The easiest way to get to Roorkee is by train. The Roorkee city station is located on Kolkata (Howrah) - Amritsar Main Railway Line. There are several trains connecting Roorkee daily from various cities of India.
- Mumbai (Lok Manya Tilak Terminus) - Haridwar A/c Special S/F Exp.
- Mumbai (Bandra Terminus) - Dehra Dun Exp.
- Chennai - Dehra Dun S/F Exp.
- Kolkata (Howrah Jn) - Amritsar Punjab Mail
- Kolkata (Sealdah) - Jammu Tawi Exp.
- New Delhi - Dehra Dun A/c Exp.
- New Delhi - Dehra Dun Shatabdi Exp.
- New Delhi - Dehra Dun Janshatabdi Exp.
- Guwahati - Jammu Tawi Lohit Exp.
- Gorakhpur - Jammu Tawi Amarnath Exp.
- Jamshedpur (Tata Nagar) - Amritsar Jalianwala Bagh Exp.
- Ahmedabad - Haridwar Haridwar Mail
- Indore - Dehra Dun Intercity Exp.
- Sri Ganga Nagar - Haridwar Intercity Exp.
- Lucknow - Chandigarh Intercity Exp
- Amritsar - Haridwar Jan Shatabdi Exp.
- Ujjain - Dehra Dun Ujjayni Exp.
- Puri - Haridwar Kalinga-Utkal Exp.
- Kochuveli - Dehra Dun Super Deluxe Exp
- Jodhpur/Barmer - Haridwar Link Exp.
- Okha - Dehra Dun Uttaranchal Exp.
- Muzaffarpur - Ambala Cantt. Harihar Exp.
- Dhanbad - Firozpur Ganga-Satluz Exp.
- Valsad - Haridwar S/F Exp.
In addition, several other express/mail trains, passenger/shuttle trains, summer special trains and festival special trains etc. are also having their stoppages at Roorkee City Station.
The common ways to get around the city: Vikram Auto Rickshaw and Cycle Rickshaw. Walking is recommended in certain Old City areas.
- Main building & IIT Campus, IIT Roorkee
- War Memorial, Roorkee Cantt.
- Bann Ganga Wetland
- Himalayan Eco Park, Haridwar Road
- A walk along Canal Banks (Roorkee Haat)
- Solani River - Upper Ganga Canal Aqueduct
- Walk around Upper Ganga canal near IRI
- Temples: Shiv Mandir, Prem Mandir, Saraswati Mandir, Sri Ram Mandir etc.
- Jain Mandir, Kanoongoyan and Adarsh Nagar.
- Patanjali Yogpeeth, Haridwar-Roorkee Road (Roorkee to haridwar). It is one of the largest yoga institutes in India, possibly the whole world. Named after the Rishi Patanjali, the institute is Baba Ramdev's flagship project. Its purpose is to practise and research and develop yoga and Ayurveda, as well as manufacture ayurvedic medicines.
- Flower shows organised by National Institute of Hydrology, Central Building Research Institute, Bengal Engineers Group and Centre, Afro Asian Hoste, IIT Roorkee.
- All India Mushaira by Anjuman Farog-E-Adab
- Kanvan Festival during July-August
- Shopping Complexes: Vishal Mega Mart, Shiv Complex, Tyagi Market etc.
- Civil Lines, Main Bazar, Sapper Bazar etc. for shopping
- Punjabi Dhaba, Opp. State Roadways Bus Stand
- Hotel Center Point Roorkee 01332274050
- Cafe Coffee Day, Haridwar Road
- Nescafe Cafetaria, Near Campus Post Office, IIT Roorkee
- Hotel Center Point 
- Hotel Krish Residency, 22, Civil Lines, Near IIT Centuy Gate, Roorkee (Roorkee Talkis Chowk), ☏ . Check-in: all day, check-out: noon. Air-conditioned rooms, parking, 24-hour room service. 500 m away from City Bus Stand. Starting from ₹1400.