São Cristóvão is a historic city with rich architectural, cultural, and religious heritage. If was founded on January 1, 1590, the fourth oldest Brazilian city. It was the capital of Sergipe until 1855.
Its current location on the banks of a tributary of the Vaza Barris River dates from 1607, and the majority of its monuments were built after the destruction the town suffered from the Dutch invasion of 1637. Reconstruction began in 1645, and the main architectural heritage sites date from this period.
- Christ the Redeemer Statue (Cristo Redentor). Constructed on the base of the 16th-century São Gonçalo Chapel.
- Conjunto do Carmo. Complex of churches and a convent.
- Igreja e Convento de São Francisco. Built in 1693, it houses the country's third most important Sacred Art Museum.
- Igreja Matriz de Nossa Senhora da Vitória. Built in 1608.
- Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Rosário dos Homens Pretos.
- Santa Casa da Misericórdia. Built in the 17th century.
- Palácio Provincial. 19th-century palace that houses the Historical Museum.
- Sobrado, Praça da Matriz, 40, ☏ .