São Gonçalo is a town in the state of Rio de Janeiro, in the Southeast of Brazil. It is a city in the state of Rio de Janeiro. São Gonçalo is the 2nd most populous city in the State of Rio de Janeiro and the 16th in Brazil.
It is about 25 km from the city of Rio de Janeiro.
From the bus terminals in Rio de Janeiro, Niterói and Itaboraí.
From Rio de Janeiro, via the Rio-Niterói bridge, whose concession is with CCR Ponte - (Toll of R$4.90, in January 2013, only in the Rio-Niterói direction), passing through Niterói and following the Rodovia Gov. Mário Covas (BR-101) or via Alameda São Boaventura and Rodovia Niterói-Manilha (RJ-104). From the north of the state, by Rodovia Gov. Mário Covas (Br-101) and from Itaboraí, also by RJ-104 (Rodovia Niterói-Manilha).
Departing from XV de Novembro Square, in Rio de Janeiro , you can opt for the Barcas, which cost R$4.50 or R$3.10 with the "Bilhete Único" (in January 2013). The journey takes approximately 20 minutes and is very calm. Arriving at Araribóia Station, head to João Goulart Bus Terminal, from where several bus lines depart for various districts of São Gonçalo.
Arriving from Rio de Janeiro airports:
- From Santos Dumont Airport it is possible to walk to Estação das Barcas (1500 m) and take a ferry to Niterói (see above) or take bus number 100 to Niterói, from Viação Mauá, crossing the walkway in front of the airport, and from Niterói, take a bus to São Gonçalo.
- From Antonio Carlos Jobim International Airport - Galeão , you can take bus nº 761D (former 998), Autoviação 1001 to Niterói, and from there take another bus to São Gonçalo.
From both airports it is possible to use a taxi service, with prices varying according to the contracted service.
- Santa Izabel Caves: Set of caves where you can practice diving;
- Alto do Gaia: The highest point in São Gonçalo, where you can see Maricá and Itaboraí. Location for hiking and trails;
- Ilha de Jurubaíba: 2nd largest island in São Gonçalo, where there are rustic bars and green waters. Area used for camping.
- Monument to Freedom: The monument symbolizes the Law of the Free Womb.
- São João Batista Church: built around 1646, used by the French when they came to found Antarctic France.
- Parish of São Gonçalo do Amarante: built between 1579 and 1601, with a high altar in the Baroque style.
- São Gonçalo Shopping: It has several stores, restaurants, movie theaters and a unit on the Poupa Tempo River. Av. São Gonçalo, nº 100. ☏ .
- Boulevard Shopping São Gonçalo: It has several stores, a food court and a cinema. Avenida Presidente Kennedy, 425 - Mutuá. ☏ .
|Routes through São Gonçalo|
|Rio de Janeiro ← Niterói ←||S N||→ Itaboraí → Cariacica|