Sühbaatar is the capital of Selenge province.
The city is located near the Russian border along the Trans-Mongolian Railway and has a population of around 21,000. The city was founded in 1940 and named after the founder of the People's Republic of Mongolia and hero of the Mongolian Revolution of 1921, D. Sükhbaatar. There is also a province in Eastern Mongolia and the central square in Ulaanbaatar named after him. The Orkhan and Selenge Rivers merge just west of the city.
With the first (or last) stop on the Trans-Mongolian Railway of the Trans-Siberian Railway in Mongolia, as well as the main paved road between the capital, Ulaanbaatar, and the Russian border, Sühbaatar is very easy to reach.
There is one bus a day that leaves from the Dragon Center in UB everyday at 16:30 that stops in Sühbaatar on its way to the Russian border in Altanbulag, a few miles away. Another option is to take one of the buses that leave hourly from UB to Darkhan. From there, micro-buses and (shared) taxis leave throughout the day for Sühbaatar and further on to Altanbulag.
At Altanbulag, you can cross the border to Russia. People are not allowed to walk over the border and therefore have to find some sort of transportation. Usually drivers are offering this service and transport passengers for a small for a fee to the Russian border town of Kyakhta where you can find marshrutkys going to Ulan Ude.
There are 2 trains a day from the capital to Sühbaatar, a day train that leaves at 10:30, with a stop at Darkhan at 08:52, and arrives at 20:00 and a night train that leaves at 21:10, with a stop at Darkhan at 03:25, and arrives at 05:30 the next day. The train returns to UB at 06:35 and arrives at 16:20, and at 21:05, arriving the next day in UB 06:10.
- Khutagt Ekh Datsan Buddhist Temple
- Orkhan and Selenge Rivers converge just outside of town
- 1 Sukhbaatar Square (Сүхбаатарын талбай). Free.
- 1 Black Market (зах).
- 1 Modern Nomads, East side of Sukhbaatar Square, 6th bag, ☏ . 11:00-24:00.
- 1 Vinyl Coffee Shop. Mon-Fri: 12:00–19:00. Sat-Sun: 12:00–17:00.
- 2 Bayalag Selenge Coffee Shop (near Khuuchin Zakh Supermarket).
- 3 Angel Coffee Shop, ☏ . Mon-Fri: 09:00–20:00. Sat: 10:00–20:00.
- 4 Irish Coffee Shop. Open at everyday in the week, except Sun.
- 5 Oyuunlag Coffee Shop (Оюунлаг кафе).
|Routes through Sühbaatar|
|Irkutsk ← Ulan Ude ←||N S||→ Darkhan → Ulaanbaatar → Beijing|