Safety Harbor is a city in Pinellas County, West Central Florida.
Safety Harbor is easily accessible to two airports within a thirty minute drive. Safety Harbor lies at the head of Old Tampa Bay, midway between Tampa and Clearwater. It has a land area of 4.89 square miles and a population (2005) of 17,800. This community has historic roots, including Native American inhabitants, its reputation as a "safe harbor" for Spanish fleets waiting out storms, and the famed Safety Harbor Resort and Spa, renowned for its healing waters. The beautiful coastline remains scenic and protected with few residences marring the view as you drive along Bayshore Drive north to Philippe Park. A number of shops and dining facilities are dotted throughout the community. Theatre is close by with Clearwater's Ruth Eckerd Hall. A major hospital, Mease Countryside Hospital, is located at the north end of the community on the main artery, called McMullen Booth Road. Further information on Safety Harbor can be found on the City's website, http://www.cityofsafetyharbor.com
Bus service available, Amtrak connections, and many rental car facilities.
- Safety Harbor Museum of Regional History, 329 Bayshore Blvd. South, Safety Harbor, Fl 34695 (Two blocks south of Safety Harbor Resort & Spa), ☏ . Thursday-Friday-Saturday 10:00-4:00, Sunday: 1:00-4:00. This is a history and archaeology museum, located on the site of a Tocobaga Indian shell mound on the shore of Old Tampa Bay. Special exhibits, workshops and summer camps offered throughout the year.
- Philippe Park, Philippe Parkway (Follow Philippe Parkway from downtown Safety Harbor about two miles; park is on the right). This beautiful County park offers walking and bike trails, boat ramp, picnic pavilions, and beautiful scenery along the shores of Tampa Bay. Located on the site of Odet Philippe's agricultural plantation. Mr. Philippe reportedly introduced the grapefruit to the new world on his plantation. A monument appears to honor him. Also situation on an Indian ceremonial mound. This is a popular gathering spot for group outings, and pavilion rentals can be secured by calling 727 669-1947. free admission.
- Safety Harbor Marina, Bayshore Drive, Safety Harbor, Fl 34695 (this Marina is in the heart of downtown Safety Harbor, just south of Safety Harbor Spa). This beautiful waterfront marina has a long pier, boat docking facilities, a covered pavilion and benches to enjoy the beautiful bay waters. Manatees can frequently be seen at this marina. Throughout the year, special events are held including the 4th of July celebration and Harbor Sounds Music Festival. This is administered by the City oF Safety Harbor Parks and Recreation Department. For info, call: 727 724 1572
Safety Harbor has great walkable Main Street with plenty of boutique shops.
- Brady's Backyard BBQ, 140 Main St, ☏ .
- Cello's Char-House Restaurant, 143 Seventh Avenue North, ☏ .
- Crepe-ology, 155 5th Avenue North, ☏ .
- Fountain Grille Restaurant (inside Safety Harbor Spa), 105 N. Bayshore Drive, ☏ .
- Green Springs Bistro, 156 Fourth Avenue North, ☏ .
- Paradise Restaurant, 443 Main Street, ☏ .
- PB&J's Deli, 737 Main Street, ☏ .
- Whistle Stop Grill & Bar, 915 Main Street, ☏ .
- 8th Ave Pub, at the corner of 8th and Main - great staff and music!
- Ibis Bed & Breakfast, 856 5th St S, Safety Harbor, FL 34695, ☏ .
- Safety Harbor Resort and Spa (Safety Harbor Resort & Spa), 105 North Bayshore Drive. Safety Harbor, FL 34695, toll-free: . In 2006, the resort completed an extensive renovation of all 189 guest rooms and added 8 signature suites. This multi-million project enhanced all features of the spacious guest rooms. A soft natural palette of color, gentle lighting and magnificent views of Tampa Bay set the stage for relaxation. Sink into a tranquility bed of luxurious linens and let the bath amenities refresh you.
This is the ideal setting for a truly memorable wedding and reception. Enjoy this tranquil location where you can say "I do" amid the timeless elegance of the Four Springs Ballroom, the Athena Room with Bay views or an outdoor location surrounded by palm trees overlooking Tampa Bay. Whether planning a small, intimate ceremony or a festive reception, no detail is too small for our talented staff.
- Safety Harbor Motel, 1106 Main Street, Safety Harbor, Fl 34695 (downtown Safety Harbor), ☏ . Offers efficiencies, apartments and rooms by the day, week or month. Located in the downtown area of Safety Harbor.