Sagamu, also known as Ishagamu, is a city in Ogun State, South West Nigeria. The city is a conglomeration of thirteen towns located in Ogun State along the Ibu River and Eruwuru Stream between Lagos and Ibadan. Sagamu was founded in the mid 19th century by members of the Remo branch of the Yoruba people in south-western Nigeria. It is bounded by Odogbolu local Government, Lagos State, Ikenne Local Government and Obafemi Owode Local Government in the East, North and West respectively.
Sagamu has a population of 355,900 and occupies an area of 605.6 km². The Sagamu region is underlain by major deposits of limestone, which is used in the city's major industry, the production of cement. Agricultural products of the region include cocoa and kola nuts. Sagamu is the largest kola nut collecting center in the country. Remo lanuage is the main local language of Sagamu people. It is the host of Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital.
Farming is the major occupation of the people Sagamu. Majority of the famers in Agamu are Kola-nut farmers. As a result, Kolanut is seen as their major cash crop. The kola nut industry supports several secondary industries such as basket and rope manufacturing, which are used to store the kolanuts. Other food crop such as cassava, melon maize and yam are however grown as supplement crops.
The city was founded in the mid-19th century when several small towns united for purpose of defense during the wars brought about by the fall of the Oyo Empire. Sagamu controlled the trade routes between the ports in the Niger Delta and the Yoruba mainland until the British occupied the city at the end of the 19th century. It is also the capital of Remo Kingdom. Sagamu has experienced both population and economic growth since the 1950s due to its position between the cities of Ibadan and Lagos.
Sagamu is in rainforest region. It also host Olabisi Onabanjo University's college of medicine.
Prospective visitors who wish to come to Sagamu have various options available to them.
Sagamu does not have a civilian airport. You can fly into a nearby city and come here using another method of transportation. Prospective visitors wishing to Come to Sagamu by Air would have to make use of Murtala Muhamed International Airport Lagos, Lagos or Ibadan Airport
Different transport companies offer daily services from almost all major cities around the country.
Sagamu is not a tourist city.
- 1 Akarigbos Palace. This is a palace of the paramount ruler of Sagamu. The Akarigbo of remo land, Shagamu, Ogun state. It sits on 6 hectares of land. It is a beautiful palace.
- Sabo Market. A popular five days market in the heart of Sagamu, Ogun State, Nigeria. The market is very popular among the people of Ogun State. The market was popular for selling raw farm produce to the people as both sellers and buyers came from every angle in Remo. In Sagamu market, one can get different commodities to buy; commodities such as staple produce (rice, beans, garri, yam flour, etc.), palm/groundnut oil, textile materials, herbal products, live goats, frozen sea foods, beverages, milks, biscuits etc. Sagamu Market is usually open on a daily basis.
Some of the good places for shopping for such items like beverages, cosmetic products, beverages, grocery store, in-store, furniture, household wares, toiletries among many others
- Safeway Store. The store opens on Monday to Saturday 8AM-9PM. ☏ .
- Somag Stores. It opens from Monday to Saturday 8AM-6PM.
- Asake Cosmetics opens from Monday to Saturday 8AM-7PM. ☏ .
- Maranatha Supermart, Falawo Market, off Ewusi Street. ☏ .
- Arkshield Supermarket, Akarigbo Street. From Mondays to Saturdays 8AM-8PM. ☏ .
- Patebeauty Lounge, Ewusi Street, Sagamu. It opens on every Monday 24 hours ☏ .
- God first store, Block AB3/4, Awolowo Market. Opens Mondays to Saturdays 8AM-8PM. ☏ .
- Sebiotimo Store, Block R8, Awolowo Market. It opens Mondays to Saturdays 8AM-6PM. ☏ .
- Tobiloba Store, Block M5, Awolowo Market. It opens on Mondays to Saturday 8AM-9PM. ☏ .
Sagamu has a number of restaurants where visitors can sample a taste of the city’s amazing local dishes and other foreign dishes. Most of them offer dine-in, take away and delivery services. These restaurants are:
- 1 Iya Toyosi, ☏ . 8AM-11PM daily.
- 2 La Rasita Place, No. 94 Ewusi St, ☏ . 9AM-7PM daily.
- 3 Spicy M Restaurant, No. 50 Agura Rd. 7AM-9AM daily.
- 4 Ayobami Food Canteen Annex. 8AM-9PM daily.
- 5 Olaass Café, No. 79 GRA Road, ☏ . 9AM-9PM daily.
- 6 Right Options Eatery, No. 10 Akarigbo St, ☏ . 7AM-10PM daily.
- 7 Sizzles Confectionary, Ajegunle St, ☏ . 7AM-9:30PM.
- 8 Mr. Bigg's, ☏ . 6:30AM-9PM Daily.
At Sagamu, there are various bars and joints visitors can go to drink various kinds of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks and enjoy themselves. These bars and joints include:
- Tripple A Spot Bar, Shagamu Shofola Street, Sagamu. It opens daily 6:30AM-11PM. ☏ .
- Emmadorc Bar, Ewusi Street, Sagamu. It opens daily 24 hours.
- Jisoro Cool Spot, GRA Road, Sagamu. It opens daily 10AM-midnight.
- Onihale Progressive Club, Ewusi Street, Sagamu
- D’Elders Lounge & Bar, GRA Road, Sagamu. It opens daily 7AM-11PM. ☏ .
- On The Road Bar & Night Clubs, Oba Erinwole Road, Sagamu. This bar opens daily 9AM-noon.
- Sansiro Lounfe, 12b Surulere road, Sagamu. It is open 24 hours. ☏ .
- Redgate Restolounge & Resorts, Obafemi Awolowo Ave, Sagamu. It opens daily noon-midnight. ☏ .
There are some eminent hotels and guest houses for travelers and visitors in Sagamu and many more are being built. These hotels provide a variety of local dishes and cuisines which guests can enjoy. There are many 4-star hotels and 3-star hotels and also hotels that are affordable one can get at a pocket friendly rate. They include:
- Redgate Restolounge and Resorts, Awolowo Avenue, GRA Quaters. This one of the hotel one can get on a budget in Sagamu. Their price range is from ₦9,000-₦18,500 avg/per night. It has restaurant, bar, swimming pool and free wifi. It is about an hour drive from the Muritala International Airport, Lagos.
- Soye Hotel, No.15 Isiaka Oduntan Street, Along Nulec Road, Sagamu, Benin Express Road. Their price range is ₦6,000-₦10,000 avg/per night. It has restaurant, bar, gym, swimming pool and free wifi.
- Sagamu Palace Hotel, Palace Quarters, GRA, Sagamu. This is one of the hotels one gan get at a pocket friendly rate in Sagamu. Their price is ₦6,000 avg/per night. It has a restaurant, bar, gym and swimming pool.
- Remo Majestic Hotel, Afolabi Kehide Avenue, Off Sagamu/Benin Express Way, Sagamu, Ogun. Their price is ₦7,000 avg/per night. It has restaurant, bar, gym and free wifi.
- Citizens Suites is located at No. 63, Paddy Arikawe Street, GRA. Their price is ₦14,000 avg/per night.
- Sunrise Hotel, Plot 15 Bolanle Avenue, Sunrise Estate, By Odo-Eran, Off Oba Erinwole Awolesi Road, GRA. Their price is ₦8,050 avg/per night. It has restaurant, bar, gym, swimming pool and free wifi.
- Limtob Hotel, 223, Akarigbo Street, Sabo, Sagamu, Ogun. Their price range is ₦5,000 -₦6,000avg/per night. It has a restaurant and bar.
- Hilltop Hotel is located at No.1 Omoba Daisi Akitan Avenue. Their price is ₦8,050 avg/per night. It has restaurant, bar, gym, swimming pool and free, wifi. Their price is ₦6,930 avg/per night. It has restaurant, bar, gym, swimming pool and free, wifi.
- Sagamu Palace Hotel, Palace Quarters, GRA, Sagamu. The price range of this hotel is ₦4,000-₦5,500. Guests can enjoy a relaxing dip in the outdoor swimming pool or engage in workout sessions at the fully equipped gym. The on-site restaurant serves a variety of meals while the bar is fully stocked with various kinds of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks from which guests can order from. This hotel is guarded by security personnel and has an on-site parking space. It has a 24-hour room service, laundry/dry cleaning and concierge services are rendered by the hotel on request.
- Mabseed Suites, Sakora, Aiyepe Rd off Sagamu Local Government Sagamu. It provides a bar. Featuring a 24-hour front desk, this property also provides guests with a restaurant. Private parking can be arranged at an extra charge. At the hotel, each room includes air conditioning and a flat-screen TV.
- Edge Apartment, 3 Sunday Owotutu Street Sagamu. Their accommodation is fully air-conditioned with a balcony. The apartment features 1 bedroom, a flat-screen TV with satellite channels, an equipped kitchen, a washing machine and 5 bathrooms with a shower.
- Conference Hotel and Suites Sagamu is a 4-star hotel at Plot 11 and 13, Kolawole Oye-Igbemo Street, Off Obafemi Awolowo Road, GRA Sagamu. Their price range is from ₦ 22,500-₦120,000 per night. Customer care line: +234 708 3061 470. This hotel has adequate facilities available for guests' comfort. These facilities include: free Wi-Fi, an outdoor swimming pool, a modern gym for guests to engage in workout sessions, a night club, barbeque, grill garden, restaurant and bar/lounge where guests can select from a variety of meals and drinks and also relax on the beautiful terrace, 24-hour electricity and an adequate parking space.
- Nandas Hotel is one of the top hotels in Sagamu. It is a 3-star hotel at No. 77/79 Ajegunle Street, off Akarigbo Road, Sagamu. Their price range is from ₦ 25,000-₦75,000 average per night. It also has a restaurant, executive bar, indoor swimming pool, multi-purpose event hall, conference hall and meeting room, a modern gym and night life activities.
In general, Sagamu has become a safer place to visit now than before, with the state spending huge budgets on security with police patrol cars. But beware of deals or businesses that sound too good to be true (especially e-mails soliciting your help), and do not openly flaunt your possessions, especially in public places.
While it is rare for a tourist to be a victim of a violent crime, it is still wise to stay safe and be on the alert, especially during late night outings. Stick to crowded streets and make sure to go out in groups instead of going out alone. The people of Sagamu are generally nice and friendly people, most of whom will readily offer directions to you if you are lost. Sagamu still has its fair share of street beggars with psychological disorders and physically challenged people.
There are police officers who are corrupt and inefficient so it is best that you stick to places and people you know and avoid going anywhere without a trusted guide if it is a first visit. Also, travelers and visitors who wish to move around Sagamu with taxi or bus should endeavor to sanitize their hands and wear their face masks to avoid being seriously infected with the coronavirus and other infectious diseases.
The networks in some parts of Sagamu can be very erratic at times. On certain days you cannot make a phone call and send text messages at all or you will not be able to recharge your phone for the most of the days and this makes business very difficult at times. However, this situation is occasional but to be on the safe side, if you want to stay for a long term, make sure that you have at least two phones or a phone that has dual SIM.
There are many states and cities you can go to from Sagamu such states and cities include: