Asia > East Asia > Japan > Chugoku > Tottori (prefecture) > Sakaiminato
Sakaiminato (境港市 Sakaiminato-shi) on the western border of Tottori Prefecture is an active fishing port and host to a Japanese Self Defense Forces base. The locally-caught crab is especially good, but the big attraction is as the home of Mizuki Shigeru, creator of the popular manga Ge Ge Ge no Kitaro.
- 1 Miho-Yonago Airport (米子鬼太郎空港 YGJ IATA), 1634 Sainokamicho (Straddles the border of Yonago and Sakaiminato, about 15 km from central Yonago), ☏ . In spite of its name, Yonago Airport is actually located here in Sakaiminato, not Yonago. ANA operates flights to/from Tokyo and ASIANA operates flights from Seoul three days a week.
Sakaiminato can easily be reached by train. All train stations in the city are located along the JR Sakai Line, which connects to Yonago.
- 1 DBS Ferry Terminal, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Overnight ferries depart twice a week from Sakaiminato to Donghae, Korea and then on to Vladivostok, Russia a day later. ¥15,000 to Donghae.
No matter where you go in Sakaiminato you will always be within walking distance of a train station. In spite of the city's small size, there are six stations within city limits; Yonagokuko (Yonago Airport), Nakahama, Takamatsucho, Amariko, Agarimichi, and Sakaiminato Stations.
Taxis are available at Sakaiminato Station.
Walk down Mizuki Shigeru street and marvel at the many paintings and sculptures of the bizarre universe of monsters that are part of Kitaro's world.
- 1 Chiyomusubi Brewing (千代むすび酒造 岡空本店), Taisho-chō 131, ☏ . Tours M-F at 11:00 and 14:00; Sa Su holidays 10:00, 11:00, 14:00, and 15:00. Daily tours of this excellent sake producer. The kura or sake brewery features a nice gift shop, a small restaurant for tasting, and of course fine sake.
Kitaro-related souvenirs of all types are available everywhere. Anything related to the Medama Oyaji or Eyeball Daddy character seems especially popular.
Local crab is excellent in season, but any fresh seafood here will be a good choice.
- 1 Iroha Sushi (いろは寿司), Aioicho 17 (near the waterfront), ☏ . F-W 11:00-19:00. Excellent and a good value for lunch. Get there early as the master only uses the freshest fish and when he runs out lunch service is finished.
- 1 Port Inn Sakaiminato (ポートインさかいみなと), Taisho-cho 222, ☏ . A curious hotel. This is run by a fishing cooperative for fishermen in port, but also rents rooms to travelers. Double room ¥10,000 including breakfast and parking.