The city is on an island on the St. Lawrence River.
Salaberry was named after Colonel Charles de Salaberry who served with the British Army during the War of 1812. "Valleyfield" came from the Valleyfield Mills, a paper mill south of Edinburgh in Scotland.
It is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Valleyfield.
Salaberry-de-Valleyfield is the seat of the judicial district of Beauharnois.
It is 65 km west of Montreal: take Autoroute 20 out off the city to Route 201 South. Follow that south, and turn right onto Rue Alexandre.
From the Angrignon terminal in Montreal, take Exo bus 1 (90 min, $9, every 60 min) (Feb 2020).
Montreal's 1 Pierre Elliott Trudeau Airport (YUL IATA) (also known to locals as Dorval Airport) is 50 km to the east. The airport is served by all major Canadian and U.S. airlines and is a major hub for Air Canada, Air Transat, and WestJet.
- Société de transport de Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, ☏ . Daily until 00:15. A shared taxi service. Call for reservations.
- 1 MUSO - Deux-Rives Society Museum, 21, Dufferin St (at the corner of Grande-Île), ☏ . Th-Su 12:00-17:00. It covers the economic and cultural history of the region. Adult $7.50, senior $6, student $4, child 12 and under free.
- 2 Valleyfield Regattas, 395 Victoria Street, ☏ . Since 1938, the event has taken place every year at the beginning of July over a three-day period in the heart of the city on Bay Saint-Francois. The regatta is an international hydroplane boat race, where the hydroplanes (planes without wings) can achieve speeds of up to 225 km/h. Attracting over 130,000 visitors per year, it is a great weekend of thrilling hydroplane races, dinners, parties, outdoor concerts featuring renowned Quebec artists. It is capped off by a fireworks show.
- 3 Saint Cecilia Basilica-Cathedral, 19 de l'Église Street, ☏ . Built in 1934, the Basilica-Cathedral is known as one of the most beautiful Gothic Revival buildings in North America. There are religious celebrations every day.
- 4 Coteau-du-Lac National Historic Site, 308 Chemin du Fleuve, Coteau-du-Lac (5 km from Valleyfield), ☏ , toll-free: . Late June to early Sep: daily 10:00-17:00. It features Canada’s first lock canal and the remains of a fort. With a history spanning 7,000 years, the site was a portage and encampment location used by First Nations people to avoid the rapids, a military fortification, and a canal that opened the way for commercial shipping. Free.
- Visit Parc Delpha Sauvé in the centre of town, which is a scenic island.
- Parc régional des Îles-de-Saint-Timothée (St. Timothy Islands Regional Park), 240, St. Laurent Street. A beach, picnic tables, volleyball & bicycles, hydro-bicycles, canoe, a small restaurant
- [dead link] Ormstown Fair (Expo Ormstown), Ormstown, Quebec (26 km SE of Salaberry off highway 138), ☏ . md-June. An agricultural fair in a small town.
- Centre Valleyfield, 50 Dufferin Street (Corner of Grande-Île Avenue and Dufferin Street). M-F 09:30-21:00, Sa 09:00-17:00, Su 10:00-17:00. About 30 shops and a 7-screen cinema.
- La Petite Grange, 415, Larocque Road (Near St. Marie Boulevard), ☏ . A bakery, chocolaterie, patisserie, and gift shop that also carries some local products. They have a good selection of cheeses.
- La Nouvelle Orléans, 182 Champlain Street (Between Fabrique Street and Larocque Road, in front of the Albert Dumouchel Theatre.), ☏ . May-Dec: W-Su from 17:00; Jan-Apr: W-Sa from 17:00. Traditional dishes from Louisiana in an ambiance that reflects famous restaurants from the New Orleans French Quarter. Mains $19-34.
- Club Touriste, 133 Victoria Street (Entrance is on McLaren Street), ☏ . M-F from 11:30, Sa from 16:00; mid-May to early Sep: also on Su from 16:00. Fish, seafood, pasta, burgers, steaks in a Victorian-style mansion.
- Dooly's Valleyfield, 30 Centenaire Avenue (Inside Plaza Hotel), ☏ . Daily 09:00-03:00. Upscale billiard hall.
- Hôtel Plaza Valleyfield (Formerly Hôtel Delta Valleyfield), 40 Centenaire Avenue, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: Noon. 124 rooms renovated in 2018 near Autoroutes 20 and 30. The hotel has a restaurant, a beautiful terrace, a hairdresser, a billiard bar, a fitness center, a spa centre and an indoor pool. Private and covered parking is free and available on site. From $109.
- Motel Grande-ile, 1215 Boulevard Monseigneur-Langlois, ☏ . 55 renovated rooms. All rooms and common areas have free high-speed WiFi. Each room has cable TV, air conditioner, refrigerator, and a microwave. From $69.
- Motel au Bord du Lac, 6885 Boulevard Hébert, ☏ . From $78.
|Routes through Salaberry-de-Valleyfield|
|Kingston ← Cornwall ← Becomes ←||W E||→ Vaudreuil-Dorion → Montréal|
|ENDS ← Vaudreuil-Dorion ←||W E||→ Brossard → Sorel-Tracy / Quebec City via|
|ENDS at W E ← ←||W E||→ Jct W E → Brossard → Longueuil|