Salzgitter is a city in Lower Saxony.
Salzgitter is a large town in the east of Lower Saxony, about 50 Km from Hannover, the capital. It was founded in 1942 by the Nazi government, to serve as a new industrial center for steel production during the war, and stands out as one of only a few German cities to be founded in the 20th century, along with Eisenhüttenstadt and Wolfsburg. The town is made up of some 31 boroughs, spread over 25 km north to south and 19 km east to west. The population has stood at over 100,000 since gaining its status as a major town in Germany in the 1950s. Founded on its large deposits of iron ore, it continued producing steel up to the end of the 1980s. One of the shafts, Konrad, is now a major storage of low level radioactive waste.
Salzgitter is easy to reach via the A39 from Braunschweig connecting to all points east and west via the A7 and A2.
- 1 Municipal Museum Château Salder (Städtisches Museum Schloss Salder), Museum Straße 34a, ☏ . Tue to Sat 10.00 – 17.00 h, Sunday and Public Holidays 11.00 – 17.00 h. A German palace built in 1608 in the Weser-Renaissance Style. The Castle comprises the following exhibitions:
Town History Museum.
Museum of Industry, Technologie, Work and Mobility.
Museum of Art.
In the museum's grounds there are further exhibitions showing an historical Wind Mill and the story of baking, and an exhibition to Climate Change, Man and the Environment.
There is a Restaurant opened from Tuesday to Sunday 12.00hrs to 22.00hs which also caters for Family Parties and Business Functions. Entrance is free.
- 2 Kniestedter Kirche. 15th century church
- 3 Stift Steterburg.
- 4 Marienkirche.
- 5 Schlosskirche Salder.
- 6 Burg Lichtenberg. 12th centry ruin
- 7 Schloss Ringelheim. 10th century cloister extended in the 19th century
- 8 Turm der Arbeit, Lebenstedt.
- 9 Gedenkstätte Friedhof Jammertal, Lebenstedt.
- 10 Klesmer Denkmal.
- 11 Salzgittersee.
- 1 Waterski & Wakeboard Cableways (Lake Salzgitter, car park West), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 1hr - adult: €17, child: €12. For more prices check the website.
- Dampflok-Gemeinschaft 41 096 e.V. (Warnetalbahn). Steam train ride
- 1 [dead link] Pizza Cheese, Albert-Schweitzer-Straße 61, 38226, ☏ .
- 2 Syrtaki, Berliner Str. 12, ☏ .