San Andrés Tuxla is a city in the state of Veracruz, in an area known as Los Tuxtlas. There is not much tourism in this calm city, so locals may be unaccustomed to travelers.
San Andrés Tuxtla is located on Highway 180, about 3 hours from Veracruz city.
Walking around downtown is easy, but for larger distances a taxi may be the best bet.
You can find taxis offering four pricing levels. Beginning with $13, it will become more expensive the further away you want to go.
Also, there are small buses ("camiones") serving parts of the city. Just ask for the destination or read the signs on the windshield.
- Casa de Cultura, Bernardo Peña (Few blocks near the market). Former this was only a cultural center. Now this is also used as a small museum, you can find pre-hispanic culture. But cultural events still happen to be here.
- Museo Regional de San Andrés Tuxtla. In this museum, first opened in the beginning of 2008, you can find some exhibits out of the area. Some inhabitants donated pieces never seen before. No fee.
- Laguna Encantada. The lagoon is located a few minutes north of San Andrés. The nature is undestroyed here. In the rain time the water level actually gets lower, and in the dry season it raises. On the first Friday of March the cave nearby is used for a ritual: The region gets blessed.
- Estacíon de Biologia Tropical Los Tuxtlas (Los Tuxtlas Tropical Biology Station), Between Catemaco and Montepio. Do some exiting treks into the wilderness. Talk to one of the scientists if you can do so. Tourists are not very often here.
Small restaurants are all over the place and offer typical mexican food.
- Mariscos Chazao, Plaza Allende (Located in the street next to the parking lot of the Hotel del Parque). If you are looking for decent sea food, you can find some here.
- Hotel Colonial, Pino Suarez 7 (Close to the Zocalo), ☏ . Very cheap hotel which is a little dirty. For the traveller with no money it is sufficient.
- Hotel Catedral, Pino Suarez 3 (Close to the Zocalo), ☏ .
Both of those hotels offer different prices depending if you want a room with air conditioning.
- Hotel San Andres, Madero 6 (In front of Hotel Isabel), ☏ . Small hotel which is a little bit cheaper.
- [dead link] Hotel Isabel, Madero 13 (Next to Hotel del Parque). Nice hotel at the Zocalo. Offers clean rooms and friendly staff. Has a restaurant.
- [dead link] Hotel del Parque, Madero 5 (At the Zocalo).
There are some internet cafes around.
- Pl@y.net, Located in front of the street which is next to the pink church at the end of the street Madero. M-Su, 09:00-22:00. They offer ten computers for you work with.
There is an ADO bus station in the city. It connects to all major and minor cities around. You can get to the beautiful, more touristic town Catemaco or to the harbour city Veracruz. Trips to Coatzacoalcos and Villahermosa are also available.