Veracruz is a coastal state in Central Mexico. Veracruz has replaced Chiapas as the poorest state in Mexico, so expect lots of young European backpackers to soon "discover" it as Mexico's next hip destination.
Veracruz has traditionally been less of a tourist destination than Pacific parts of Mexico due to its hot, humid weather. Yet the area incorporates a range of climates, from the damp jungle areas in the northwest to the cooler, mountainous heights of Xalapa.
- 1 Xalapa (or Jalapa) — state capital and a beautiful college town with its colonial architecture
- 2 Catemaco — famous as the witchcraft center of Mexico.
- 3 Coatepec
- 4 Coatzacoalcos
- 5 Córdoba
- 6 La Gloria
- 7 Orizaba
- 8 Papantla
- 9 Poza Rica
- 10 Tlacotalpan — a 17th century colonial settlement inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List
- 11 Tecolutla — beach town
- 12 Tuxpan — laid-back beach town
- 13 Úrsulo Galván
- 14 Veracruz — partying and rowdy city in the south
- 1 El Tajín – historical UNESCO World Heritage Site
- The Emerald Coast (la costa esmeralda) – a long stretch of coast north of the city of Veracruz (puerto) that is well known for its fine beaches and beach camping. Offers something of a Baja experience on the Gulf coast of the country.
Although the hot, humid summer weather can be unpleasant for many visitors, it creates a very lush, green landscape that can be beautiful along the southern half of the state.
Spanish and some English.
Xalapa is about a five-hour trip from Mexico City.
By Bus, motorcycle, bike, horseback, or on foot
Ruins, old colonial cities, and lush green mountains reminiscent of Costa Rica
The whitewater rafting around Xalapa is some of the best in north america.
Veracruz city is famous throughout Mexico for its seafood feasts. The Cuban/African influence is stronger here than on the Pacific coast and the plates bear some resemblance to Cuban dishes. Though not cheap, the seafood restaurants will likely be a highlight to any trip to Veracruz.
Good fresh fruit drinks are widely available.
The City of Veracruz has a bit of violent crime, elsewhere its mostly just petty theft.