Often called the capital of Coffee in Mexico, the name Coatepec comes from the Nahuatl coatl, serpent and tepetl, hill (The Hill where the Snakes are). This municipality has four small rivers: the Pixquiac, "Pintores", "Sordo" and Hueyapan; all going to "Pescados" ("La Antigua") river.
- 1 Cascada Bola de Oro. The nearest waterfall to town is in the environs of a well-known Coatepec coffee finca (estate), which also has various trails and a natural swimming pool. To get there follow Calle 5 de Mayo north to a bridge, continue north on Calle Prieto and then turn left into Calle Altamirano. After passing the last shop, hang a right, cross a bridge and turn left onto a path.
- 2 Cerro de las Culebras. Cerro de las Culebras (Snake Hill; Coatepec in the Náhuatl language), is easily accessible from the town center. The walk takes you up cobbled steps to a lookout tower with a white statue of Christ on top. From here there are magnificent city and mountain views. To get there, walk three blocks west from the main plaza on Lerdo, then north all the way up Independencia.
- Museo y Jardin de Orquideas. Coatepec’s humid cloud forests support numerous species of orchid and an amiable local señora has collected many of them for this museum/garden a few blocks from the main square. Displays highlight both cultivation and conservation techniques. Reserve 30 minutes to see the full gamut.
- Parque Miguel Hidalgo. Coatepec’s main square is green and bereft of the worst of the town’s traffic. In its center stands a glorious glorieta (bandstand) that doubles up as a cafe. Set back from the road on the eastern side is the unashamedly baroque Parroquia de San Jerónimo , named after the city’s patron saint.
- 1 Hotel Boutique Casabella, Calle 16 de Septiembre 33, ☏ .
- 2 Hotel Posada Coatepec, Hidalgo 9, ☏ .
- 3 Hotel San Jose Plaza Coatepec, Calle 2a.Zamora 65, Rincón Coatepec, Coatepec,Veracruz 91500, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Modern style hotel near the center of Coatepec. Rooms with king size or two double beds. The space is suitable for two adults and up to two children. No pets allowed. The hotel offers a cafeteria-bakery "La Toga" and children playground "Enfiestados" M$1062.