Jump to navigation Jump to search
San Fernando de Apure is a city in Venezuela's Los Llanos region.
Most visitors come by road, a 6 hour drive from Caracas or up to 8 hours by bus. The city does have a small airport about 30 min outside the center with daily flights M-F to Caracas and Puerto Ayacucho. Call Venezolana airline for more details (0212 6512218).
There's little reason to stay here unless as a base for exploring the Llanos. But if you are passing through:
- Plaza Bolívar - the city's leafy central square.
- Barbarito Palace - in Plaza Camejo, this early 20th century building was originally a wealthy trade center that was attacked by bandits trying to steal its merchandise on more than one occasion. After years of neglect, the building has now been restored and houses a museum with original mosaics and frescoes.
- San Fernando Cathedral - this 1960s construction was designed by German architect Robert Klein and is notable for its bell-shaped roof.
- Gran Hotel Plaza, Calle Bolivar, opposite Plaza Bolivar, ☏ +58 247 3421255, +58 247 3421504, email@example.com.
- Nuevo Hotel Apure, Av Maria Nieves, ☏ +58 247 3422214.
- Hotel Trinacria, Av Miranda, Centro Comercial Trinacria, ☏ +58 247 3423578, +58 247 3423778.