The town of San Jose, then known as Danlog, was a barrio of nearby Lagonoy in the early 19th century. It remained part of Lagonoy until the year 1813 when San Jose was established under the name of Patrocinio derived from the Spanish word patrón which means "model". Later, the words de San José were attached to its former name, thus becoming Patrocinio de San José. It was soon shortened to San Jose which is now the official name of the municipality.
May 19 marks the annual celebration of the feast day of San Jose, the town's patron saint.
From Naga: Take any bus from the central terminal and headed for Lagonoy. The bus will pass through the towns of Pili, Ocampo, Tigaon and Goa and finally bring the visitor after 1½-2 hr to San Jose. Alternatively, you can take a van, which takes 1-1½ hr.
From Legazpi: take a bus to Naga, then follow the directions above. For a more scenic route via Tobacco, take a bus or van around the spectacular Mount Mayon to Tabaco then transfer to Goa. This route provides breathtaking scenery as it meanders along the jagged coastline with views out to Ataluyan Island and Caramoan Peninsula.
Vans and buses frequently travel between San Jose, Goa and Naga from Lagonoy or Sabang port. Within San Jose, jeepneys regularly run to Sabang port and tricycles and padyaks (non-motorized tricycles) are very popular.
•Port Alfred Beach Resort
Calalahan, situated beside the Lagunoy Gulf, is rich in aquatic resources (sail fish, dolphin, anchovy, etc.)
- Sabang Beach, Sabang, San Jose, Camarines Sur. The coastal tip of San Jose's shorelines, frequented by tourists and travellers bound to Caramoan Peninsula.
Adangiao is a beautiful barrio with lot's to see, you can get here either by Jeepney at Goa Jeepney Terminal towards Presentacion, Garchitorena or Caramoan, or by boat from Barangay Sabang, 45 minutes to one hour
- Adiangao Cave - located in Adiangao San Jose, the entrance to this cave is on the side of a small hill overlooking the sea.
- Tagithi Falls is almost 2 hours away from Adiangao proper.
- Pamaypay Falls- known as Abaniko Falls, in English - Fan Falls, located approximately 1 km from Barangay Adiangao. The falls is near Barangay Ayugao.
- Libtong Falls - 50 m away from Adiangao. This is the favourite swimming area of the children of Adingao
- Cawa Falls - called Cawa because the falls looks like a big cooking pot.
San Jose is surrounded with beautiful mountains, rivers, beaches and waterfalls. It is set amongst rice paddocks and the visitor must be prepared to explore to fully enjoy what the area has to offer.
San Jose has a well known Mamihan/ Noodle Soup which . Just around the Centro of San Jose a Mamihan called "Kino" offers great taste of Mami that will surely full your stomach
San Jose has homestay and resort accommodation options for those wishing to stay a while and relax on its beaches, or for those wishing to overnight on their way to Caramoan. The easternmost barangay of Adiangao has beautiful limestone cliffs set up in the hills over looking the ocean and town proper. This is reached by boat from Sabang or Dolo port after 45 minutes.