Sandnes train station is on the Jærbanen railway. Local and express trains stop at Sandnes.
Bus no 9 [formerly dead link] goes from Sola Airport Stavanger to Sandnes.
There are buses going inside and outside of the county limits. Local buses are all organized by the Kolumbus organization.
All of downtown are within walking distance. Bicycles can be borrowed for free at the bus terminal during office hours. The local government has invested heavily in bike paths -these are usually paved with a red material and can either be right next to the pedestrians' pavement or on the opposite side of the road.
All the local taxis use the meter. It may be slightly cheaper to show up at the bus terminal to get one than to call them and have them shop up at the hotel that may be meters away.
All new commercial buildings have to be wheelchair accessible.
See and do
- Vitenfabrikken [the Science Factory, Storgaten, Sandnes.
- Rogaland Arboret, From E39, 5 km south of Sandnes, follow sign to the arboretum for 2 km., ☏ , fax: . The Rogaland Arboretum includes 7,0 hectares of forest and parkland.
- Soma Gård - Open farm with many activities for kids and barbecue spots
- Hove Fuglepark - Birds Park
- Sandved park - city park with kids palygrounds and extensive rhododendrons collection
- Julebygda church - Christmas performances outdoor
Sandnes has several restaurants with both local and international cuisine.
- Gamlaverket. Prides themselves on serving traditional local food in historical surroundings.
- Charles & De, Langgaten 41, 4306 Sandnes. Run by Charles Tjessem, ex-director of the Culinary Institute of Norway, nowadays really happy with his own restaurant, tavern, café, bakery and delicatessen.
- Asia News in Langgata 25 serves both Chinese and Vietnamese food, and makes good vegetarian dishes.
Melkebaren is a local pub that prides itself on having more than 300 different local and international beers on bottles and tap.
Sandnes has several hotels, inns and a camping/caravan site.
- Kongeparken family theme-park close to Ålgård
- Rural areas in Jæren
- Kiting or surfing at Solastranden
|Routes through Sandnes|
|Bergen ← Stavanger ←||N S||→ Ålgård → Kristiansand|