The town is on the Rhine opposite St. Goar. Wellmich, further north along the Rhine also belongs to the town. The settlements of Heide and Patersberg lie above the town as do attractions around the Loreley.
On the B42 north of Rüdesheim
By cruise boat
KD (Köln Düsseldorfer Deutsche Rheinschiffahrt AG) boats cruise the Rhine stopping at Sankt Goarshausen.
- 1 Loreley (Lorelei). Large rocky outcrop on a bend in the Rhine river. Provides great views of the valley.
- 2 Burg Katz (Cats Castle). It was built around 1370 and restored in 1896. It is in private hands and cannot be visited.
- 3 Burg Maus (Mouse Castle). Medieval castle. Viewing by arrangement only.
- 4 Dreiburgenblick (Three castle view), Rheinblick, Patersberg (above the town, nice but strenuous hike up the side of the hill, or take the car.). A great view of the valley.
Walk part of the Rheinsteig.
- Rhein in Flammen: St. Goar - St. Goarshausen: 21 September 2019 Sankt Goar. Firework display, ship parade, and lit-up cruise boats. (date needs updating)
- 1 Campingplatz Loreleystadt, Wellmicher Str. 55, ☏ .
- 2 Hotel Nassauer Hof, Bahnhofstraße 22, ☏ .
- 3 Hotel Restaurant Christian, Im Sonnern 1, Heide, ☏ .