Sankt Michael im Lungau is a village in the countryside of Salzburg state, 1,750 metres above sea level.
Sankt Michael has become increasingly popular with tourists as a well-developed ski center in the winter season and also as a summer tourist resort, with hundreds of kilometres of hiking and biking trails in the area.
from the north: highway Munich - Salzburg, A10 - Tauernautobahn to exit St. Michael im Lungau or B99 via Obertauern
from the east: Vienna - Semmering - Leoben - Unzmarkt - Murau - Ramingstein or A1/ Westautobahn to Salzburg and above named
from the south: Udine - Autostrada - Tarvisio - Villach - Katschbergtunnel - Exit St. Michael im Lungau
There are many tour buses operating from St. Michael to everywhere. The best way to travel around is by bicycle, e-bike and go walking.
Around St. Michael there are 550 km family cycle paths and 450 km mountainbike trails. There are also 60 mountain lakes and a lot of idyllic hiking trails. In St. Michael is a cable car. In summer it is 2x in operation and in the winter every day.
- Parish Church in St. Michael
- St. Martin Filial Church
- Oberweißburg Filial Church
- St. Augustine's Chapel and Eye Fountain
- St. Egidius Filial Church
The giant Samson
The Samson figure has been historically documented in the Lungau since 1635 and symbolizes an Old Testament figure with superhuman strength, a strength seated in this long hair. He represents the battle against the Philistines, having killed 1,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass at Lehi. Most of the Samson figures carry such a jawbone as a symbol of strength. Many myths, legends and assumptions are interwoven with this giant figure from the Lungau.
Samson is as much as 6.5 m tall and weighs around 85 kg. In the inner Alpine region, there are twelve of these figures, with ten Samsons in the Lungau (Mariapfarr, Mauterndorf, Muhr, Ramingstein, St. Andrä, St. Margarethen, St. Michael, Tamsweg, Unternberg and Wölting) and two in neighboring Styria (Krakaudorf und Murau).
This heroic biblical figure is the emblem of the Lungau. Which explains why he is so often on display at a variety of local festivities. He is borne on the shoulders of a young bachelor, who is able to skillfully balance the weight of this giant figure by means of a frame built on the inside of the hollow body.
In earlier times, every farm had its own grain crib or "Troadkasten". Originally carpentered out of logs, it features artistic "swallowtail" ornamentation. As of the 16th century, they were made out of brick, making them a lot more fire resistant, and were decorated with frescoes.
For mountain lovers, families and children, summer in St. Michael im Lungau in SalzburgerLand – Austria - is a heaven on earth with a variety of hiking opportunities to countless deep-blue, idyllic mountain lakes, from relaxing strolls to sporting Nordic Walking and challenging hiking tours. St. Michael im Lungau in SalzburgerLand – Austria - and the natural beauty which surrounds it, also lends itself to be explored by bicycle, inline skates and on horseback. While running and playing tennis, you will have no problem keeping in shape. A variety packed round set against the picturesque backdrop of the Niedere Tauern and Nockberge mountains is promised by the 18-hole golf course of the Lungau Golf Club. Out canyoning and rafting, adventure seekers discover an array of unforgettable emotions. Culture and cuisine invite you to pause and enjoy the "finer things".
There are several souvenir shops in the town. There are also some supermarkets, sporting goods stores and so on.
All of the hotels have bars and there are a number of ins which double up as accommodation and bars. In the center of St. Michael is the Romantikhotel Wastlwirt which has a restaurant with showcooking and a nice bar. In summer most people drink in the open under sun umbrellas.
- Hedwig Kremser, St. Martiner Str. 140, A-5582 St. Michael im Lungau/Salzburg, Phone: 0043 (0) 6477 77 90, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, http://sbg.at/haus-kremser [dead link], B&B
- Herma und Peter Lassacher, St. Martiner Bergstraße 111, A-5582 St. Michael im Lungau/Salzburg, Phone: 0043 (0) 664 40 59 023, B&B
- Irene Löcker, Gerlgasse 126, A-5582 St. Michael im Lungau/Salzburg, Phone: 0043 (0) 6477 72 16, http://www.ireneloecker.wordpress.com
- Landhotel Stofflerwirt, Hutterstraße 11, A-5582 St. Michael im Lungau / Salzburg, Tel.: +43 (0)6477 8293, Fax: +43 (0)6477 8293 3, E-Mail: email@example.com. 3 Star Hotel
- Hotel zum weissen Stein, Marktstraße 158, A-5582 St. Michael im Lungau / Salzburg, Tel.: +43 (0)6477 8239, Fax: +43 (0)6477 8239 4, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 3 Star Hotel
- Alpengasthof Bacher, Oberkatschberg 42, A-5582 St. Michael im Lungau / Salzburg, Tel.: +43 (0)4734 318,, Fax: +43 (0)04734 318 4, E-Mail: email@example.com. 3 Star Hotel
- Erlebnisgasthof Alpina, Katschberg 330, A-5582 St. Michael im Lungau / Salzburg, Tel.: +43 (0)4734 350,, Fax: +43 (0)4734 350 4, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 3 Star Hotel
- Gasthof Blasiwirt, Fell 20, A-5582 St. Michael im Lungau / Salzburg, Tel.: +43 (0)6477 8402, Fax: +43 (0)6477 8402 12, E-Mail: email@example.com. 3 Star Hotel
- Gasthof-Landhotel Schlickwirt, Oberweißburg 152, A-5582 St. Michael im Lungau / Salzburg, Tel.: +43 (0)6477 8915, Fax: +43 (0)6477 8915 33, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 3 Star Hotel
- Wellnesshotel Eggerwirt, Kaltbachstraße 5, A-5582 St. Michael im Lungau / Salzburg, Tel.: +43 (0)6477 82240, Fax: +43 (0)6477 822455, E-Mail: email@example.com. 4 Star S Hotel
- Apart-Hotel Hutter, Katschberg 423, A-5582 St. Michael im Lungau / Salzburg, Tel.: +43 (0)4734 627, Fax: +43 (0)4734 627 35, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 4 Star Hotel
- ZN Alpen Hotels GmbH Hotel Sonnalm, Katschberghöhe 333 , A-5582 St. Michael im Lungau / Salzburg, Tel.: +43 (0)4734 491, Fax: +43 (0)4734 491 439, E-Mail: email@example.com. 4 Star Hotel
- Romantikhotel Wastlwirt, Poststrasse 13, A-5582 St. Michael im Lungau / Salzburg, Tel.: +43 (0)6477 7155-0, Fax: +43 (0)6477 7156-60, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 4 Star Hotel
Tourismusverband St. Michael im Lungau, 5582 St. Michael, Raikaplatz 242, Tel.: +43 (0)6477/89130, Fax: +43 (0)6477/891354, E-Mail: email@example.com. from Dezember to Easter: Mo-Fr 8:00-12:00 and 14:00-17:30, Sa 08:00-12:00 and 16:00-19:00, So 8:00-11:00 , from June to September: Mo-Fr 8:00-12:00 and 14:00-17:30, Sa 08:00-12:00, low season Mo-Fr 8:00-12:00 and 14:00-17:00.