Jump to navigation Jump to search
Santa Elena is a municipality and small town of 3,800 people (2010) in Yucatan state.
Agriculture is the main municipal activity. The cultivation of corn, beans, vegetables and citrus are the most important. These activities are influenced by the fact that the municipal territory, in the northwest part, is crossed by a mountain range whose average height is 100 meters and that runs from northwest to southeast, an orographic accident that gives a slope towards the cultivation areas.
Tourism is also the main engine of the municipal economy due to the huge number of national and foreign visitors who visit the region, particularly Uxmal and Kabáh, as part of the Puuc region.
- Most people visit it for the nearby Maya ruins. It is just 16 km from Uxmal and 10 km from Kabah.
- Other nearby archaeological sites include Nohpat, Xcoh and Mul chic.
- San Mateo Church: the Parroquia de San Mateo was built in the 19th century
- January 10 to 24: the feast in honor of Santo Cristo del Amor
- May 17: the festival in honor of Santos Reyes of San Mateo