Saraburi has been an important city since ancient times. It is assumed to have been established c.1549 during the reign of King Maha Chakkraphat of the Kingdom of Ayutthaya. It is assumed that the king had ordered the merging of some parts of Lopburi and Nakhon Nayok together to set up Saraburi Province with the aim of being a centre for mobilising citizenry in times of war. Therefore, from the Ayutthaya period, the story of Saraburi has usually related to battles and wars. As for the origin of the word "Saraburi", it is assumed that due to its location near a swamp called "Bueng Nong Ngong", when the town was established a combination of "sa" (a swamp) and "buri" (a town), it was suggested and the town was named "Saraburi".
From Bangkok, take Hwy 1 or Phahonyothin Rd, past Wang Noi District, Nong Khae District, Hin Kong Sub-district to the intersection of the elevated bridge of Saraburi. Turn left into Mittraphap Rd or go straight on to the centre of Saraburi.
From Bangkok, there are both normal and air conditioned buses of the Transport Co., Ltd. from the Bangkok Northern Bus Terminal (Mo Chit 2), Kamphaengphet 2 Rd, several times a day. For more information, contact Tel. +66 2 9362852-66.
From Bangkok's Victory Monument, a minibus going to Saraburi costs 100 baht. It stops at Saraburi's train station.
There are daily trains from Bangkok Railway Station (Hualamphong) to Saraburi, several times a day. Trains from/to Bangkok's main Hualamphong Train Station station take about 2-2.5 hours. Some trains stop at Kaeng Khoi Station and Muak Lek Station. For more information, contact the State Railway of Thailand at Tel. 1690, +66 2 2204334, +66 2 2204444 (ticket reservations can be made by telephone 3 days in advance, but not exceeding 60 days).
- Sunflowers (ทุ่งทานตะวัน) (Between Lopburi and Saraburi along the Phatthana Nikhom – Wang Muang route). From November to December, the yellow sunflower fields along the road attract many people.
- Khao Sam Lan National Park (It is 4 km beyond Wat Phra Phutthachai). The nearest national park to Bangkok. The park offers many small waterfalls, some of which can be reached by short hiking trails. The best time to visit the falls is the late rainy season when water is plentiful.
Tham Si Wilai (ถ้ำศรีวิไล): A cave in which resides the Phra Phutthanaowarat Buddha image from the Chiang Saen period. The cave also features stalagmites and stalactites.
Thale Ban Mo (ทะเลบ้านหมอ): A deep and wide pond with a serene atmosphere, it is the habitat of various water creatures. From February until July, large flocks of migratory birds from Siberia can be found here.
Tham Narai or Tham Khao Wong (ถ้ำนารายณ์ หรือถ้ำเขาวง): It is a cave containing stalagmites and stalactites as well as ancient Mon people scripts at the entrance of the cave.
Tham Phrathat Charoen Tham or Tham Bo Pla (ถ้ำพระธาตุเจริญธรรม หรือถ้ำบ่อปลา): The cave is divided into 3 big rooms. In the cave resides Luangpho Yai, a stucco Buddha image with black lacquer applied and covered with gold leaf in the gesture of subduing Mara. It is from the Ayutthaya period.
Pha Sadet (ผาเสด็จ) It is the cliff where King Rama V and the Queen resided when the Bangkok – Nakhon Ratchasima railway was constructed in 1895. Both of them also inscribed their royal initials, Cho Pho Ro and So Pho at the cliff.
Tham Phra Phothisat (ถ้ำพระโพธิสัตว์): A bas-relief from the Dvaravati period can be found on the cave wall, depicting the preaching Buddha as well as Hindu gods. Outside the cave are many trees of various kinds as well as the royal initials, Cho Pho Ro, inscribed by King Rama V when he visited the waterfall. It consists of Tham Thammathat, Tham Lumphini, a stone garden and Tham Sa-ngat Chedi.
Chet Khot - Pong Kon Sao Nature and Ecotourism Study Centre (ศูนย์ศึกษาธรรมชาติและท่องเที่ยวเชิงนิเวศเจ็ดคด-โป่งก้อนเส้า): The centre features a large biodiversity of both plants and animals. It comprises many kinds of forests such as dry evergreen forest, moist evergreen forest, mixed deciduous forest and savanna. Animals living in this compound are wild elephants, gaurs, bears, deer, barking deer, lories, mouse deer, wild boar and approximately 158 kinds of birds.
Nature Study Routes (เส้นทางศึกษาธรรมชาติ): There are three overall. The first route is from the sightseeing spot 12 kilometres from the centre. The second route is from Sap Pa Wan Reservoir to Hin Dat Waterfall. The third route is from Sap Pa Wan Reservoir to Namtok Chet Khot Nuea, Klang and Tai. Other waterfalls are found in the area. Significant are the Namtok Khao Khaep, the Namtok Krok Fa Phanang and the Namtok Sap Pa Wan.
Sekeikyuseikyo Thai Headquarters (องค์การศาสนาเซไคคิวเซเคียวประจำประเทศไทย) lies the tropical Miroku Botanic Garden. There is also a pool, marble sculptures in various shapes, and a Japanese garden with. On the other side of the project lies an organic demonstration vegetable plot by using the Effective Microorganisms (EM) technology: a use of a micro-organism to reduce pollution in the environment.
Pa Sak Jolasid Dam (เขื่อนป่าสักชลสิทธิ์): It was selected as one of the "Unseen Thailand Destinations". It is the longest earth filled dam in Thailand with a length of 4,860 metres along the crest.
Phai Tam Sub-district Bird Garden (สวนนกธรรมชาติตำบลไผ่ต่ำ): The garden covers an area of approximately 3 rai and is the residence of more than 17 species of birds. These birds always find their food early in the morning and fly back to their nest at dusk.
Namtok Heo Noi (น้ำตกเหวน้อย): Proceeding further from this waterfall, there are high waterfalls in Khao Yai National Park. The best time to visit is from July to November.
Muak Lek Arboretum (สวนรุกขชาติมวกเหล็ก) and Namtok Muak Lek (น้ำตกมวกเหล็ก): The lively stream originates from its tributaries in the Khao Yai National Park that flow into the Pa Sak River which forms the border between two provinces. The stream has rocky slopes that form small beautiful cascades.
Namtok Chet Sao Noi National Park (อุทยานแห่งชาติน้ำตกเจ็ดสาวน้อย) The waterfall has seven levels. The height of each level is approximately four metres and has a spacious shaded swimming area.
Namtok Sap Heo (น้ำตกซับเหว): This waterfall has a large basin for swimming. On the right side of the waterfall is a path to a small cave which houses stalagmites and stalactites. Trekking to the waterfall is quite difficult.
Tham Dao Khao Kaeo (ถ้ำดาวเขาแก้ว): The distinguishing points of this cave are its red, black and brown spots on the ceiling as well as the stalagmites and stalactites and its large population of bats.
Tree Tunnel (อุโมงค์ต้นไม้) is an arch formed by trees bent towards each other on both sides of the road, forming a 200-metre long shaded "tree tunnel".
The Dairy Farming Promotion Organisation of Thailand (องค์การส่งเสริมกิจการโคนมแห่งประเทศไทย (อ.ส.ค.)): The Danish government and the Danish Dairy Farming Association together offered a promotion project on the raising of dairy cows. They cooperated with the Thai government to establish the Thai-Danish Dairy Farm (TDDF) and a training centre in Muak Lek District, Saraburi.
Sao Ronghai (เสาร้องไห้): A gigantic post made from a hardwood tree known as Takhian, which is believed to possess a female spirit called "Takhian Thong". This post was submerged under water at this sub-district for more than 100 years until in 1958, the locals brought it out of the water and kept it in the shrine.
Ban Khao Kaeo (บ้านเขาแก้ว): A traditional Thai wooden house approximately 80–100 years old. It is the property of Achan Songchai Wannakun. The house was established as the "Thai Yuan Cultural Study Centre", collecting folk utensils, weapons, present day tools as well as ancient woven textiles of over 100 years old.
Bencha Sutthi Khongkha (เบญจสุทธิคงคา) refers to the sacred water from one of the five important rivers that flow through Sao Hai District. It is used for the Oath of Allegiance ceremony ever since the reign of King Rama IV to the present.
Thanon Phrachao Songtham or Thanon Farang Song Klong (ถนนพระเจ้าทรงธรรม หรือ ถนนฝรั่งส่องกล้อง): A road constructed during the reign of King Songtham who reigned from 1611 to 1628. At present, approximately 9 kilometres of the path can still be seen. It starts opposite Wat Sang Sok. It was changed into a laterite and concrete road with a width of 6–8 metres.
Samnak Song Tham Krabok (สำนักสงฆ์ถ้ำกระบอก): A well-known rehabilitation centre for drug addicts. This monastic residence was established by a Buddhist nun, Mian Panchan, in 1957.
Bo Phran Lang Nuea (บ่อพรานล้างเนื้อ): A small stone well near Wat Phra Phutthabat. At the mouth of the well are knee prints. There are stone slopes and a deep hole the size of a can of milk near the well. The water that flows from the hole is believed to be holy water.
Phra Tamnak Than Kasem (พระตำหนักธารเกษม): This palace was built in 1633 during the reign of King Prasat Thong as his residence on his royal visit to pay respect to Phra Phutthabat. The base of the palace still remains.
Tham Thep Nimit Than Thong Daeng (ถ้ำเทพนิมิตรธารทองแดง): It is a prehistoric archaeological site. Artefacts of the late Neolithic period were discovered here.
Tamnak Sa Yo (ตำหนักสระยอ): A royal residence constructed at the edge of Than Thong Daeng by Somdet Phrachao Prasat Thong's command for his visit to pay respect to Phra Phutthabat.
Phra Tamnak Thai Phikun, the Ancient Palace (พระตำหนักท้ายพิกุล พระราชวังโบราณ) In the present, there are no remains left of the actual palace. Only the royal elephant mounting platform and the surrounding wall are left.
Khao Phra Phutthabat Noi (เขาพระะพุทธบาทน้อย) features undulating steep limestone mountains with many pointed summits. Inside lies a replica of the Buddha’s footprint, around 1 cubit wide and 3 cubits long imprinted deep into the ground.
Phra Bowon Ratchawang Si Tha (พระบวรราชวังสีทา): The compound of this residence was very large, covering an area of approximately more than 150 rai. There still remains the lotus base for a wooden house made of brick and cement. There is an area of around 4 rai left which the kamnan - village headman has reserved as a public area.
Ban Dong Nam Bo Archaeological Site (แหล่งโบราณคดีบ้านดงน้ำบ่อ): It is a cemetery where burial ceremonies were conducted and an archaeological site of the Pa Sak River culture. Also, iron and stone tools, jewellery, bangles and beads, aged approximately 2,000 years, were discovered.
- Pa Sak Boat Racing Festival (การแข่งขันเรือยาวประเพณีลุ่มน้ำป่าสัก) (The pier in front of the Sao Hai District Office). Last Saturday or Sunday of September. A major annual regatta. Famous long boats from all over the country join in the race. There are four categories: boats with 55 paddlers, 30 paddlers, 12 paddlers, and 10 paddlers. This festival is a way to preserve the local tradition.
Phra Phutthabat Temple: This temple is in Amphoe Phra Phutthabat, 28 km north of the town along Highway 1. It is one of the most beautiful religious sites in Thailand. The temple houses the footprint of Lord Buddha found on a stone panel near Suwan Banpot Hill. The footprint was found in the reign of King Songtham of Ayutthaya. A spired square pavilion or mondop was built to cover the footprint.
Wat Phra Phutthachai: This temple is on a hillside. The main attraction is a picture of Lord Buddha appearing on a cliff wall. A wihara has been built to cover it. The surroundings are very pleasant and shady.
Phra Phuttha Nirarokhantarai Chaiwat Chaturathit (พระพุทธนิรโรคันตรายชัยวัฒน์จตุรทิศ): It is the Buddha image of the East and one of the four images made by the Territorial Defence Department to express loyalty to King Rama VI and King Rama IX. It resides in the cruciform pavilion of Wat Sala Daeng.
The Golden Buddha Image (พระพุทธรูปทองคำ): A Buddha image in the meditation posture. The Fine Arts Department examined it and analysed that it is 70% gold. Therefore, the locals named it "Luangpho Thongkham", the "Golden Buddha image".
Wat Phayao (วัดพะเยาว์): The golden Buddha image of Wat Phayao is considered as one of the major sculptures of Ayutthaya Kingdom. The believers built a viharn with a cruciform plan as a residence for the Buddha image to enhance its dignity and to bring honour to the people of Saraburi.
Wat Khao Kaeo Worawihan (วัดเขาแก้ววรวิหาร) When King Rama IV visited Sao Hai District, he ordered the renovation of this temple and promoted it as a royal temple. There has been a rumor that a bright crystal ball would appear over the viharn of Wat Khao Khaeo on some nights.
Wat Samuha Pradittharam (วัดสมุหประดิษฐาราม): Inside this temple one can find beautiful murals depicting the Khawi folk tale. The main Buddha image, in the posture of subduing Mara, was taken from Sukhothai's Ancient City. It is cast in bronze and covered with gold leaf.
Wat Chanthaburi (วัดจันทบุรี): The main attraction is the ubosoth, constructed in 1893 during the reign of King Rama III. Inside are beautiful murals of the same period as the ubosot. They are still in perfect condition and depict the gathering of angels and the story of the Lord Buddha.
Chedi Phrakhun Mae (เจดีย์พระคุณแม่): The chedi is surrounded by Buddha images representing the seven days of the week. It was constructed to encourage children to remember the kindness of their mothers and to be good in return.
- Nam Tok Jet Sao Noi (7 Girls Waterfall).
- Nam Tok Sam Lan. There are some nice easy circuit hikes near this 3-level waterfall.
- Cliff Climbing – Abseiling (ปีนหน้าผา-โรยตัว). At Wat Phra Chai, Mueang District, is a 35 m cliff appropriate cliff climbing with a climb of less than 5 metres high without the use of a rope. However, cushions are provided on the ground below and a climbing partner will always take care and block from behind the climber. The spot is on a mountain which is surrounded with cliffs on every side. On the east of Wat Phra Phutthachai lie large round stones alternating with timber forests. On the other route is a climbing location with a rope or Top Rope with a length of 40 metres. Also, this is a sightseeing spot for the plain of the Pa Sak River as well as the scenery of Saraburi.
- Tham Lumphini Suan Hin (ถ้ำลุมพินีสวนหิน). A cave in Kaeng Khoi District with a length of 1,800 metres created naturally by underground water.
Rafting along the Pa Sak River (การล่องแม่น้ำป่าสัก): The mountains line up along the rafting route. At some parts stones and cliffs can be seen with strange shapes, similar to animals.
On Saturdays and Sundays, a trustworthy Thai rice wine called "sato" can be purchased from roadside vendors in Nong Kae.
- Tontarn Floating Market. Sundays only. Born from the merger of the villagers in the area has led to the sale of food and local product to other people. The market is a small market that is along the Phasak River. Tontarn floating market consists of many interesting things. First of all is desserts and local food. It has plenty of food to eat, whether it is the khao soi, kuay tiew rua, and sweets stuffed crispy egg crepe, but the highlights of this market is the "tai - yuan fried noodles" and "sweets Kong". The second thing is about dining areas. The dining area is pavilion that on the river. In the pavilion, they have mats and "thok" (table) following the Lanna tradition. Third is the show from descendants of people in Tontarn. At noon there will be a native dance with the sound of Thai instruments. The last thing is souvenirs. Most souvenirs are made by villagers, such as woven fabric, Tai - Yuan clothing and shoulder bags.
Weaving Centre of Tambon Ban Ton Tan (ศูนย์การเรียนรู้ทอผ้าตำบลบ้านต้นตาล): This centre is an educational facility for the youth and general public. There are various kinds of woven fabric on display such as loincloth, plain coloured cloth, Pha Si Khao, and fabric in the Dok Phikun – bullet wood flower – pattern, which is a traditional Thai Yuan style.
|Routes through Saraburi|
|Nakhon Ratchasima ←||N S||→ Ayutthaya → Bangkok|
|Chiang Rai ← Lopburi ←||N S||→ Bang Pa-In → Bangkok|
|Nong Khai ← Nakhon Ratchasima ←||N S||→ END|