Sassafras was originally named Sassafras Gully due to the large numbers of Doryphora sassafras trees in a gully in the area.
In 1918 there were 13 guest houses in the town, making it a leading resort in the Dandenong Ranges. Tourists travelled to Sassafras by railway, alighting at Upper Ferntree Gully.
Catch the Belgrave line train and get off at Upper Ferntree Gully station then catch the 688 bus (Ferntree Gully - Croydon). To use public transport requires a Myki card, which costs $6 (or $3 for children/concession) from post offices, milk-bars, petrol stations and train stations. Once you have the Myki card it needs to be topped up with money. An adult fee (for one trip) is approximately $3 (it changes frequently) whilst the child/concession fee is $1.50. The number of stops taken doesn't change the cost.
Head east on Burwood Hwy, then drive towards Ferny Creek and keep going past it up until you get to Sassafras.
- 688 Olinda - Belgrave via Sherbrooke Road
- 694 Croydon - Upper Ferntree Gully via Olinda and Tremont
Consider Car Next Door because lots of people in the Dandenong Ranges hire their cars. It is cheaper than a standard car hire company.
- 1 Alfred Nicholas Memorial Garden, 1A Sherbrooke Rd, Sherbrooke VIC 3789. A beautiful scenic garden with walking trails, a boathouse, waterfalls and islands
- 1 Olinda Pool, 79 Olinda-Monbulk Rd, Olinda VIC 3788, ☏ . Open in Summer. Great pool on a hot day, has a baby pool, fun for children
- 1 Geppetto's Workshop, 371 Mount Dandenong Tourist Rd, VIC 3787, ☏ . Handmade wooden toys that children and adults will adore.
- 1 Miss Marple's Tearoom, 382 Mount Dandenong Tourist Rd, VIC 3787, ☏ . Weekdays 11:00 - 16:00, weekends 11:00 - 16:30. Cute little tearoom
- Sassafras Cafe, 391 Mount Dandenong Tourist Rd, Sassafras VIC 3787, ☏ . Cosy, casual, free WiFi. Suitable for children.
- 1 Marybrooke Manor, 10 Sherbrooke Rd, Sherbrooke VIC 3789, ☏ . A beautiful venue often used for weddings and graduations, Mayrybrooke Manor is a pretty place to stay. $240.
- 2 GiGis bnb, 1769 Mountain Hwy, VIC 3787, ☏ . Free Wi-Fi, Free breakfast, Free parking, Child friendly $330.
- 3 Franklin Cottage, 361 Mount Dandenong Tourist Rd, VIC 3787, toll-free: 1300 48 84 48 (domestic). Child friendly hotel $315.
- 4 Chudleigh Park Cottages, 6 Chudleigh Cres, VIC 3787, ☏ . Inclusive WiFi, parking and breakfast $175.
Most cafes and accommodation have free WiFi and mobile data should work anywhere in Sassafras. Note that Optus data blacks out in Kallista.