Schneverdingen is a town in the northern part of the district of Soltau-Fallingbostel, in Lower Saxony, Germany. It is about 15 km north of Soltau, and 50 km south of Hamburg.
Schneverdingen belonged to the Prince-Bishopric of Verden, established in 1180. In 1648 the Prince-Bishopric was transformed into the Principality of Verden, which was first ruled in personal union by the Swedish Crown - interrupted by a Danish occupation (1712–1715) - and from 1715 on by the Hanoverian Crown. The Kingdom of Hanover incorporated the Principality in a real union and the Princely territory, including Schneverdingen, became part of the new Stade Region, established in 1823.
The area around Schneverdingen is considerably coined/shaped by ice-age influences and animal husbandry, in particular the Heidschnucken (sheep with horns). From the management of cattle, in connection with the meagre sandy soils, a wide heath landscape was created, which attracts nowadays many tourists. Nevertheless neither the animal husbandry nor the agriculture were productive, With the invention of the mineral fertilizer the agriculture became increasingly more important, unfortunately large surfaces were unaffected, The 19th century stepped other occupations relating to locally created crafts. Great importance attained finishing of leather for the production of shoes. At the bloom time in Schneverdingen there where over 300 shoemakers, today however due to the structural change in this industry only an enterprise exists.
- coming from the north: A1 - exit Rade, B3 in the direction Soltau, at the end of Welle turn off to L171
- coming from the south: A7 - exit Soltau or Bispingen, B3 or L171
- coming from the east: A24, A1 - exit Rade, B3 in the direction Soltau, at the end of Welle turn off to L171
- coming from the west: A1 - exit Stuckenborstel, B75 to Rotenburg (Wümme), B71 to Hemslingen, turn off to L170 in the direcktion of the heath blossom town Schneverdingen.
- Taxi There are a number of taxi services in and around Schneverdingen.
- Bus There is a bus service around the town. There is also a shuttle service transporting you into the Heath.
- Walk It is always nice to walk around the town.
- De Theeshof, Hansahlener Dorfstraße 16, ☏ . Tu-Sa 15:00-18:00, Su 10:00-12:00 15:00-18:00. "Theeshof" was one of the biggest and oldest farms in the former village „Hansahlen“. It has since served as museum being operated by the association „Heimatbund Schneverdingen e. V.“ Indoor exhibitions give an idea of the living and working situation when living at a local farm between 1850 and 1950.
- Quellenbad – Natural Swimming Pool, Inseler Straße 97, ☏ . M-F 09:30-20:00; Sa Su 09:30-19:00. An outdoor natural swimming pool with plenty of space to park your towel. There is a diving board and a separate children’s pool. Adult €1.80, child €1.20.
- Indoor Swimming pool - Heidjers Wohl, Osterwaldweg 8, ☏ . Tu-F 06:30-13:30, 15:00-21:00; Sa Su 08:00-17:00. A 25-m swimming pool with a diving platform. There is also a separate pool for children and a lane for non swimmers. There is also a large water slide and sauna. Adult €3.00, child €1.80.
- Cycling tours, Start in front of City Hall (Rathaus). 14:00-18:00. Enjoy a tour of Schneverdingen with an experienced tour guide on a bike through old courtyards, etc. The tours traverse approximately 20-25 km and take place with a minimum of 5 people. Adult €4, child €2.
- Horse and Cart Rides, Various different start points. Various timings. Various different carriage rides taking you through the heathland Osterheide and the nature reserve of Hoepen. The rides will take place in all weather types but will only take place with a minimum of 6 people. €6.50-17.
- Farmers Market, Schulstr. 3. Th 08:00-12:00. Each Thursday from 08:00 to 12:00, the weekly market takes place on the parking lot behind the town hall. If the Thursday falls on a public holiday, then the market takes place on the working day preceding the holiday
- Hotel Ramster, Heberer Straße 16, ☏ . 12:00-14:00, 18:00-21:00. All dishes are produced with regional and seasonal ingredients using traditional recipes with a modern twist. There is a large terrace to enjoy your meal in all weather thanks to the retractable awning. The restaurant was lucky enough to receive the award of the red Michelin Guide – the Big Gourmand.
- [formerly dead link] Landhotel Schnuck – Findling Restaurant, Osterwaldweg 55, ☏ . 12:00-14:00, 18:00-22:30. You can enjoy a-la-carte menu serving regional and international cuisine freshly prepared, if you have any dietary requests you must let them know a week before hand.
- Da Romeo, Osterwaldweg 2, ☏ . Sep-Mar: Tu-Sa 18:00-22:30, Su 12:00-14:30 18:00-22:00; Apr-Aug: Tu-F 12:00-14:30 & 18:00-22:30, Sa 18:00-22:30; Su 12:00-14:30 & 18:00-22:00. The restaurant serves Mediterranean and Italian cuisine which specialises in food form Calabria.
- Restaurant Wassermuhle, An der Wassermühle 2, ☏ . 09:00-21:30. The restaurant serves traditional and regional cuisine. There is also a special themed buffet every Saturday.
- M-One, Am Markt 1, ☏ . Open from 09:00, Happy hour 17:00-19:00, Jumbo hour 22:00-23:00. Snack available as well as an extensive bar menu.
- Camp Reinsehlen Hotel, Reinsehlen, ☏ . Check-in: 14:00-00:00, check-out: 07:00-10:30. This unique hotel is 5 km north of Schneverdingen. You have the use of a Finnish sauna, steam bath or even unwind in the relaxation room. You also have the opportunity to rent a bike to explore the Luneburg heath. €95-125.
- Hotel Hof Tütsberg, Naturpark Luneburg, ☏ . This hotel is in the heart of the Luneburg Heath. Each of the rooms are available to look out onto the courtyard of the main thatched house. To really unwind, why not book yourself an Ayerveda massage. €68-169.
- Hotel Hof Tütsberg, Naturpark Luneburg, ☏ . Check-in: 16:00-20:00, check-out: 08:00-12:00. This hotel is in the heart of the Luneburg Heath. Each of the rooms are available to look out onto the courtyard of the main thatched house. To unwind, book an Ayerveda massage. €68-169.
- Niedersachsen Hof, Widukindstraße 3, 29646 Bispingen, ☏ . Check-in: 13:00-20:00, check-out: 08:00-10:00. The hotel was built in 1979 on a small hill in the middle of the Luneburg heath. You can enjoy the heath by renting bikes from the hotel. There is also an onsite restaurant that reserves local dishes, fresh salads, steaks or try one of the fish specialties. €39-128.