If you are from the tri-state or New England area the best way to get to Scotch Plains would most likely be by car. There are tons of parking spots throughout the town, none of which are metered.
The closest airport to Scotch Plains is Newark International Airport. It is about a 15-20 minute drive from the center of town. Once landed, you will most likely have to rent a car or take a taxi to your destination in Scotch Plains.
If you are coming in from NYC the 114 Bus, part of the NJ Transit is a great way to get into Scotch Plains. However, you should not rely on the bus system to take you around the town of Scotch Plains. Chances are you could walk to your destination in town faster than the bus system.
You can take the NJ Transit Line into Fanwood, the town directly next to Scotch Plains. Amtrak Trains do not go directly into Scotch Plains; they arrive at the Metropark Station in Iselin, NJ. This is about a 10-15 minute drive from the center of Scotch Plains and there are always taxi services available outside of Metropark.
Getting around Scotch Plains, NJ and its surrounding neighborhoods is best to do by car, especially in the colder months.
Scotch Plains is not a very large town. It is very easy to get places by foot, especially in the downtown area.
- Scotch Plains Baptist Church, 333 Park Avenue, ☏ . The Scotch Plains Baptist Church was built in 1747. 26 Revolutionary soldiers are buried here along with many other people that lived during the time of the Revolutionary War. Visiting this church and its graveyard is makes for a very educational and interesting experience for the entire family.
- Cannon Ball House Museum, 1840 Front Street, ☏ . Also the home of the historical society of Scotch Plains and Fanwood New Jersey. The museum was built in the early 1700s and has been an eyewitness to many events in its history. In fact, the British and American troops marched past this building during the Revolutionary War. Today the Historical Society has restored and furnished the Cannonball House so that visitors can come look and learn about the house's history.
- Bowcraft Amusement Park, Rt. 22, ☏ . Bowcraft is a fun place for families with children ages 2-14 to attend. It has an indoor arcade and great food available. Along with being entertaining Bowcraft makes for an inexpensive family adventure.
- Scotch Hills Country Club Golf/Mini Golf Course, 820 Jerusalem Road, ☏ . Scotch Plains just recently built this brand new miniature golf course, that is connected to its 9-hole golf course. Golfing at either one of these courses is a great summer activity for visiting families. Enjoy a nice game of night mini golf and end it with some delicious homemade ice cream from Scoops!
There are not many places to shop in Scotch Plains; however, the neighboring town of Westfield has a great downtown area with stores, restaurants and a movie theater. Downtown Westfield is about a 2-10 minute drive from most places in Scotch Plains.
- [dead link] Apple Blossom Florist, 318 Park Avenue, ☏ . Family owned florist and candy store that creates beautiful flower arrangements and gift baskets. They offer a variety of unique gifts as well such as picture frames and purses.
- Scotchwood Diner, 1934 US Highway 22, ☏ . The Scotchwood diner is the epitome of an old-fashioned American diner. It is open 24 hours a day and offers breakfast, lunch and dinner options. All of the food is in inexpensive and delicious. It offers quality, fast and polite service.
- Stagehouse Tavern, 366 Park Avenue, ☏ . The Stage House Inn in Scotch Plains is an upscale restaurant that serves rustic American food. On the other side of the restaurant is the Tavern. The Tavern is not as upscale as the Stage House but the food is still delicious. The Tavern offers a full bar that is always filled with locals and good music! Join them every Wednesday for the band Amp’d or every Friday and Saturday for live music until 1AM!
- Ginger Sushi, 266 South Ave., Fanwood, ☏ . Ginger Sushi is a tiny sushi restaurant in the center of the towns Scotch Plains and Fanwood. They provide quality service and every employee is kind and accommodating. Ginger Sushi offers a wide variety of sushi and cookie authentic Japanese meals. It is a bring your own alcohol facility, so feel free to bring a nice bottle of wine and enjoy their high quality food!
- Scoops Ice Cream Parlor, Scotland Street, ☏ . This is a small family run ice cream parlor that offers a wide variety of homemade ice creams and Italian ice. It is a great place for all ages to enjoy some delicious, inexpensive dessert!
- Nunzio's Pizzeria, 2387 Mountain Avenue, ☏ . Nunzio’s Pizza and Pasta is a small pizzeria/restaurant that serves delicious homemade Italian food and amazing pizza. Along with being able to eat in or take out they offer a very efficient delivery service.
- Vienna 60, 375 Park Ave., ☏ . Vienna 60, also called the “Love Bar” by many locals is a very tiny dive bar in the center of Scotch Plains that is always filled with locals. Upon entering this bar you feel like you have been warped back to the late 1960s. Everything is psychedelic and the only music played is from this period of time. This bar offers crazy but delicious drinks, dancing and an all around good time. Vienna 60 creates a carefree atmosphere. From their homemade flavored vodka to the complimentary cheese and fruit platters that circle about the place, Vienna 60 is a “groovy” place to go for a night on the town in Scotch Plains.
- [dead link] Flannery's Pub, 200 South Avenue in Fanwood, ☏ . Flannery’s pub is open from 12PM to 2AM 7 days a week. Flannery’s pub is a tiny bar/restaurant that is always filled with locals. They offer delicious and authentic Irish food along with daily drink specials. If possibly try to head to Flannery’s Thursday nights for live acoustic music by PJ Farely!
- Best Western Westfield Inn, 435 N Ave W, Westfeld, ☏ . In Westfield, the town right next to Scotch Plains. It is about 1.9 miles from Scotch Plains and right next to the Westfield train station. Parking is very efficient. Upper-mid scale hotel.
- [dead link] Hotel 304 West, US 22, ☏ . Hotel 304 West is located 3.6 miles away from Scotch Plains. It has a pool, spa, bar and lounge.