Jump to navigation Jump to search
Scunthorpe is a town in Lincolnshire.
- 1 Normanby Hall (Near Scunthorpe). An English mansion built for Sir Robert Sheffield to replace a previous 17th-century property. Samantha Cameron, the wife of the former British Prime Minister, David Cameron, also grew up on this site more recently. The 350 acre estate is now in the care of North Lincolnshire Council and has become a country park which contains a number of lakes and gardens amongst other features. The Hall and museum are open every day from April to September, with the park being open throughout the year.
- 2 Gainsthorpe Medieval Village, Brigg. one of the best preserved deserted villages in the country, its outlines still being clearly visible. Accessible at any reasonable time. Free.
- 3 The Trolleybus Museum at Sandtoft, Sandtoft. houses the world's largest collection of historic trolleybuses, together with a number of other vehicles including period motor buses. The Museum offers a fascinating day out for all the family. Open to the public on specific event days, generally between Easter and November, when visitors can ride on a selection of trolleybuses under the specially-erected overhead. A free conducted tour in one of a number of vintage motor buses is also available. There are a number of other attractions including a 5*-rated cafe, children's play area, 1950s / 1960s shop displays, a 1950s Prefab home and a cycle and lawnmower shop display. Many event days also feature themes and additional visiting attractions.
- Watch football (ie soccer) at Scunthorpe FC. They were relegated in 2019 and now play in League Two, the fourth tier of English football. The stadium is a mile west of the centre at the junction of M181 and A18.
- 1 The Parishes, 1 Fenton St, DN15 6QX, ☏ . Shopping centre which also features 7 screen Vue cinema.
- 2 The Foundry Shopping Centre, 12 Market Hill, DN15 6SS, ☏ . Has over 40 stores which include many of the top major retailers.
- Grange Park, Messingham. offers accommodation in lodges which benefit from sports facilities as well as a restaurant and bar.
- Premier Inn.
|Routes through Scunthorpe|
|Sheffield ← Doncaster ←||W E||→ merges with / → Hull (via ) / Grimsby (via )|
|Hull ← Barton-upon-Humber ←||N S||→ Lincoln|
|Doncaster ←||W E||→ Humberside Airport → Grimsby|