Jump to navigation Jump to search
Sete Lagoas is a city in central Minas Gerais.
The nearest major airport is in Belo Horizonte.
- Boa Vista Nautical Park (Parque Náutico da Boa Vista), Av. Prof Maurílio Jesus Peixoto 535, ☎ . This large park has sporting facilities, a small zoo with 20 animals, three playgrounds, two skate parks, pedalboats, and a stage for occasional events.
- Casarão / Nhô Quim Drumond Cultural Center (Casarão / Nhô Quim Centro da Cultura). An 18th-century manor has been turned into a cultural center dedicated to preserving local music, dance, religion, and folklore. There are several permanent exhibitions and a large amphitheater for dance performances.
- Municipal History Museum (Museu Histórico Municipal). Installed in a historic early 19th century house, this museum concerns itself with local history. You might give it a pass if you don't speak Portuguese.
- President Kubitschek Tourist Support Center (Centro de Apoio ao Turista Presidente Juscelino Kubitschek). This strange bird-like structure on Lake Paulino contains displays of local crafts and artwork. It also has an event space for occasional cultural exhibitions.
- Railroad Museum. Exhibits tools and objects on the inside, and on the outside are parked two antique locomotive engines and an antique passenger car.
- Rei do Mato Cave (Gruta Rei do Mato). This 235-meter-long cave has three rooms with caveman paintings dating to 6000 years ago. It also contains many types of formations unique in Brazil.
- Serra de Santa Helena (7 km northeast of the city center). This mountain range, reaching 1076 meters in altitude, has a number of attractions, including:
- Church of Saint Helen (Igrejinha de Santa Helena). Resting atop the highest point of the range, this church was built in 1852. There is a yearly festival and procession on the first Sunday of May.
- Cascata Park (Parque da Cascata). This park has 295 hectares of native forest with hiking trails, one of which leads to a waterfall with observatory. The grounds also have numerous sporting facilities and an artificial lake with a beach. Parking available.
Sete Lagoas takes its name from the seven lakes in and around town.
- Lake Boa Vista (Lagoa Boa Vista).
- Lake Catarina (Lagoa Catarina).
- Lake Cercadinho (Lagoa Cercadinho).
- Lake Chácara (Lagoa Chácara).
- Lake José Félix (Lagoa José Félix).
- Lake Matadouro (Lagoa Matadouro).
- Lake Paulino (Lagoa Paulino). This one is particularly good for people-watching, as the lake is ringed by bars and other establishments.
- Paragliding or hang-gliding - The Serra de Santa Helena has a designated ramp and optimal conditions for cross-country. Conditions are best from September to November.
- Cabana do Peixe, Rua João Libório Júnior, 450, ☎ .
- Fogão de Minas, Rua Doutor Pedro Luiz, 324, ☎ .
- Mistura Fina, Av. Cel. Altino França, 184, ☎ .
- Restaurante e Pizzaria Milano, Avenida Getúlio Vargas, 301, ☎ .
- Hotel Real, Praça Martiniano de Carvalho, 6 - Canaan, ☎ .
- Hotel Vila Serrana, Rua Paulo Frontin, 799, ☎ .
- Lago Palace Hotel, Praça Dom Carlos Carmelo Mota, 273, ☎ .
- Sete Lagoas Residence Hotel, Rua Nestor Foscolo, 284 - Sta Luzia, ☎ .