There is a weekly ferry run by Smyril line from the Faroe Islands (duration: 1-2 days) and to Hirtshals, Denmark (3-4 days). The ferry departs once per week on Wednesday 20:00 during the low season (April-June and August-October), and on Thursday 10:00 during high season (June-August). A return journey to Denmark for instance costs €280-590 with a car or €120-250 per passenger, depending on the season, excluding a supplement fare for a cabin or bed. Book in advance as prices vary considerably.
The nearest Airport in Egilsstaðir, about 30 minutes away, has regular flights to the capital. There are several buses a day to Seyðisfjörður connecting with the flights stopping in central Egilsstaðir on route. From central Egilsstaðir there are one or two additional departures per day during the summer, as well as the option to change to several bus lines connecting to other parts of Iceland. The buses are run by Ferðaþjónusta Austurlands (tel.: 472 1515) which has no website, but the city administration website maintains an updated schedule.
- Museum of technique
- Lots of hiking paths, from half an hour to several days.
- 24/24 ATM in the bank, about 100m in front of the ferry terminal
- Post office next to the bank
- Skaftfell, nettk@fe og bistro, Austurvegur 42.
- Hótel Aldan, Nordurgata 2, ☏ . from 6800 kr.
- [dead link] Hostel Seyðisfjörður, Ránargata 9, Seyðisfjörður, Iceland (Follow the cost in the Eastern direction for 200 m from the ferry terminal), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Open 1 April - 1 November 2900 kr (dorm), 8000 kr (private room for 2). Cooking and washing facilities. Free Wi-Fi.
- Hafaldan youth hostel, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 2500 kr.
- Free Wi-Fi at the information center, right in front of the ferry terminal.