The city is mostly notable for being the place where the ferry to/from Denmark and the Faroes makes landfall and as the set of the Nordic noir series Trapped which was shot here, in Reykjavik and in Siglufjörður.
There is a weekly ferry run by Smyril line from the Faroe Islands (duration: 1-2 days) and to Hirtshals, Denmark (3-4 days). The ferry departs once per week on Wednesday 20:00 during the low season (April-June and August-October), and on Thursday 10:00 during high season (June-August). A return journey to Denmark for instance costs €280-590 with a car or €120-250 per passenger, depending on the season, excluding a supplement fare for a cabin or bed. Book in advance as prices vary considerably.
The nearest airport in Egilsstaðir, about 30 minutes away, has regular flights to the capital.
There are several buses a day to Seyðisfjörður connecting with the flights stopping in central Egilsstaðir on route. From central Egilsstaðir there are one or two additional departures per day during the summer, as well as the option to change to several bus lines connecting to other parts of Iceland. The buses are run by Ferðaþjónusta Austurlands (☏ city administration website maintains an updated schedule.) which has no website, but the
- 1 Technical Museum of East Iceland, Hafnargata 44, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 11:00-17:00 weekdays during the summer, upon request during winter. 1000 kr for adults.
- Lots of hiking paths, from half an hour to several days.
- 24/24 ATM in the bank, about 100 m in front of the ferry terminal
- Post office next to the bank
- Skaftfell, nettk@fe og bistro, Austurvegur 42.
- Hótel Aldan, Nordurgata 2, ☏ . from 6800 kr.
- [dead link] Hostel Seyðisfjörður, Ránargata 9 (Follow the cost in the Eastern direction for 200 m from the ferry terminal), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Open 1 April - 1 November 2900 kr (dorm), 8000 kr (private room for 2). Cooking and washing facilities. Free Wi-Fi.
- Hafaldan youth hostel, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 2500 kr.
- Free Wi-Fi at the information centre, right in front of the ferry terminal.