- 1 [dead link] Utoro & Shiretoko Michi no Eki (斜里町道の駅うとろ・シリエトク Shari michi no eki utoro shiretoku), Utoro Nishi 186-8, Shari (On Highway 334 in central Utoro, a few hundred meters SW of the major hotels.), ☏ . This rest area has a gift shop, visitor desk with maps and information, and large parking lot. If you're headed into Shiretoko National Park, it would be better to go to the park visitor center, but if you're wandering through Utoro, this is a good starting point.
- [dead link] Michi no Eki Shari (道の駅しゃり), 本町３７ (1 block NE of JR Shiretokoshari Station.), ☏ . Information daily 9AM-7PM, restrooms 24h. This small rest area is located in downtown Shari. Though quiet in the evening, it is a useful information stop during the day.
Shari can be reached by car, bus, or train. That being said, having a car once you're in Shari is highly desirable, so renting one in Abashiri is a reasonable idea.
Traveling by car is recommended. It is also not uncommon to see bicyclists and motorcyclists.
- Oshinkoshin Waterfalls (オシンコシンの滝 Oshinkoshin no taki) (By the roadside on the way to the hostel.). A more ordinary but still impressive set of waterfalls.
Utoro, a seaside village with hotels, seafood, and onsen, is the main attraction in this area.
- [dead link] Shiretoko Shari Club (しれとこクラブ), ☏ . Very friendly staff who speak some English. There is also a restaurant on the premises. Single ¥5100.
- [dead link] Shiretoko Noble Hotel (知床ノーブルホテル), 3 Utoro Higashi, Shari (2 minutes walk from Utoro Bus Terminal.), ☏ . New hotel with tasty seafood at its restaurant. Room with 2 meals ¥8500.
- Visit Abashiri and see its icebergs and prison museum.
- Go hiking in Shiretoko National Park, famous for Mt. Rausu and its large bear population.