Sheikhupura is an industrial city. It is famous for rice production. Nestle Pakistan is here.
Sheikhupura is connected with all big cities of the country by rail. The most comfortable and affordable trains connects Sheikhupura with Faisalabad and Karachi.
Rickshaws are a common form of transport here as elsewhere in Pakistan.
Some taxis are available at the railway station and bus stand.
Major language used in Sheikhupura is Punjabi. Some educated people use Urdu & English. Every one can understand Urdu.
- Hiran Minar (Minaret of Antelope) (3 km from city centre). This masterpiece of Mughal architecture was constructed by Emperor Jahangir as a monument to Mansraj, one of his pet deer. It is listed as a Tentative World Heritage Site.
- Qila Sheikhupura. Mughal art depicting fort, constructed in 16th century by the Mughal Emperor Jahangir.
- Waris Shah DarbarWaris Shah was born in Jandiala Sher Khan neighborhood of Sheikhupura city.
Boating- Pool near Hiran Minar is best place for boating. Rented boats are easily available at Hiran Minar.
There are couple of factory outlets of various shoe brands along GT Rd in Muridke. There are various outlets of shoes and sandals. Bata has the best variety. Shahzad super store (Jinnah erk), Haji super store(Lahore road )and such other shopping stores are available.
There are a variety of cakes, sandwiches, Puff's and ice cream (different flavours) available here, which are very delicious.
- Dahi Bhale - Dahi Bhale shops are situated near Hiran Minar and in Main bazar.
- Gol Gappe - A number of gol gappay carts can be found, lined outside parks.
- Biryani & Pulao - Biryani & pulao is special dish.
- Dal Chawal - It's one of the favorite foods here.
In summers there are variety of drinks are available but in winter season only tea and Qawa available.
- Rabri - this is the most favourite drink of the people.
- Sugar cane rusk - is very famous drink which is healthy and sweetest in taste.
- Limo pani - is very tasty. It is made up with lemon juice & water.
- Lassi - Lassi is the traditional Punjabi drink. It is made using yogurt. The price of one glass or a Piala of Lassi is about Rs.25-35.
In the case of an emergency, call police by 15 from any landline phone.
- Ambulance Access To get an ambulance in case of an emergency, dial 115 from any landline or cellphone.
If you found yourself in serious trouble and need any type of emergency rescue or help then feel free to dial 1122. The name of the emergency service is "Rescue 1122".
The area code for Sheikhupura is 56. To dial from within Pakistan, dial 056-xxxxxxx. To dial from outside Pakistan 092-56-xxxxxxx.