Shellharbour a satellite city of Wollongong, 85 km south of Sydney. It has a town centre that has civic buildings and the major shopping mall of Shellharbour Square. It has a township on the water, adjacent to a small harbour and a beaches. Shell Cove is a major housing development adjacent to the town, and to the water.
1 Shellharbour Junction station is a commuter station with parking and a bus interchange - quite distant from facilities or towns. It really looks quite in the middle of nowhere getting off the train there. It is around a 4-km walk to Shellharbour town, going up and down a few hills.
2 Albion Park Station is outside the town, but quite close to the HARS Aircraft Museum.
If you want to get the bus into town, or to Shellharbour Square, a better bet may be to get off at 3 Oak Flats Station and get a bus. They run with around a 2 hour frequency to town, and quite frequently to Shellharbour Square. Check the timetable, and get the first bus to Shellharbour Square if it makes sense to do so.
- See also: Cycling in New South Wales#Illawarra
If you are a keen cyclist, it is also a nice ride from Wollongong mostly along the coast.
The town is about 85 km and 2 hours' drive from Sydney. Go past the end of the freeway from Sydney, and Shellharbour town is off to your left, follow the signs. A scenic route goes via Wollongong and Warilla, and follows the water. Exit the freeway at Five Islands Road, follow the signs to Warilla at the second major right hand turn and on to Windang Rd, then follow your nose.
There are limited bus services, as well as three train stations.
- 1 HARS Australian Historical Flying Museum, Illawarra Regional Airport (south of Wollongong on the Princes Highway, or take the train to Albion Park Station). A project was started to build an exhibition facility for the aircraft of the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society who have an existing base there. HARS has completed a major hanger, part of an ongoing project. HARS has an extensive static aircraft display and many operational aircraft including the only remaining flying Super Constellation in the world.
- 1 Killalea State Park (The Farm). Free.
- 2 Blackbutt Forest Reserve.
- 3 Warilla Beach, 7 Osborne Parade, Warilla.
- 4 Shellharbour North Beach.
- 5 Shellharbour South Beach.
- 6 Mystics Beach (Minnamurra Beach), Killalea Access Rd.
- 1 Shellharbour Square. Large shopping complex including a Stockland mall.
- Shellharbour Village Harbourside Rotary Markets, Little Park, Addison Street, email@example.com. 4th Sunday of each month from 9AM to 3PM.
Before the Albion Park Rail Bypass of the Princes Mwy was built, traffic was essentially forced to use a short non-freeway section of highway in Albion Park between two freeways. This resulted in many fast-food chains such as Maccas, Subway, Oporto and Taco Bell in addition to local eateries to open up on the southbound section, which gave Albion Park an unusual amount of eateries. If you find it hard to find a good place in the city centre or if many of the restaurants close early (typical for Australia), many fast food chains will still be open in Albion Park.
- 1 Aharn Thai Restaurant, 1/28 Mary St, ☏ . Stir-fries, noodles, curries and salads in a cosy setting.
- 2 Taco Bell, Shop 3/61 Princes Hwy, Albion Park Rail, ☏ . 10AM–10PM.
- Shellharbour workers club - famous for its live music.
- 1 Ocean Beach Hotel, 2 Addison St, ☏ .
- Wollongong - large coastal city to the north
- Kiama - picturesque coastal town to the south
- Budderoo National Park - rainforest to the southwest
- Macquarie Pass National Park – small national park to the west
|Helensburgh ← Wollongong ←||N S||→ Kiama → Nowra|